Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Vacations in January

ila

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:38 pm
Have never been to ny before and we have the option to go for 3 or 4 days in January or to go to Miami that we went before... would love to see Ny but we don't have many winter clothings... will we freeze? What clothing do we need to keep warm? Is boots a must?
Thank you in advance!

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:40 pm
You will need warm coats/hats/scarves/gloves/sweaters and boots

I don't recommend visiting NY in January. I say this as a lifelong NYer. We all try to leave in January

ila

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:53 pm
Thank you very much!

doctorima

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 12:54 pm
If you've never been to NY and won't have a chance to come for the foreseeable future, you can definitely come in January, as long as you come prepared with the right clothes and attitude. Winters here have been starting later and later in recent years, so who knows how cold it will be? That said, it certainly can get quite cold here in the winter, and you'll need to bundle up and have a good attitude. The city is definitely used to it and everything functions normally with no closures.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 1:23 pm
I think you should consider coming to NYC. There’s so much to do/ see in the wintertime. Borrow coats and warm accesssories from others if needed. It’s worth it!

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:30 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I think you should consider coming to NYC. There’s so much to do/ see in the wintertime. Borrow coats and warm accesssories from others if needed. It’s worth it!

This! NYC is a fascinating place.
But you must be prepared for very cold weather and possible snow.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
This! NYC is a fascinating place.
But you must be prepared for very cold weather and possible snow.

What are your favorite things to do in January in NY?

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:51 pm
Just to see NYC, and visit some indoor places and restaurants.

Of course nice weather is easier, but if it’s your only chance, then do it.

But op, it really boils down to which you prefer:

Warm weather, beach, swimming, relaxing,

Or cold, indoor attractions and sightseeing.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 3:36 pm
One year, in Jan or Feb, we went to the central park zoo. It was freezing that day! We put pajama pants under our boy's regular pants and the girls wore leggings. We had SO much fun. there was only one other family there and the animals were so active! The staff said its the best time to come because in summer the animals are so lethargic from the heat.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 4:27 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Most New York activities are fine in the winter. Museums, restaurants, comedy clubs, live music, Broadway and other shows. All can be done in the winter.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 4:28 pm
pesek zman wrote:

American Girl place
Rockefeller Plaza( ice skating)
Lego store
Nintendo store
Bryant park( also ice skating
Time Square- all the stores there( Disney, M&M store...)
Lots more!

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 4:42 pm
I've lived in Manhattan for over 20 years so I know all there is to do but I don't find January to be a great time to enjoy the city at all! It's freezing outside and unlike in suburbs you are outside going from place to place a lot. If OP likes museums and shopping, then yes, she'll have. A good trip. But be ready to be cold and wet

ila

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 5:07 pm
Thank you all for taking your time to write! We will be a couple with a 15 years girl and a 4 year boy, what do you recommend? No shows but would like a museum or 2 of there is something for the kids also...

doctorima

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 5:26 pm
Gulliver's Gate and Spyscape are both excellent and kid-friendly. If they like science, you can't go wrong with the Museum of Natural History.

1ofbillions

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 5:49 pm
We go to top tier restaurants, ice skating at Bryant Park, and Times Square, when we’re in NYC in the winter. It’s really fun!

I recommend that you wear Uggs, gloves, hats or earmuffs, warm clothing, and really warm coats.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries