Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Speeding ticket out of state

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:26 pm
Back in August dd got a speeding ticket out of state, as she was heading back to our home state. The fine was close to $300.

She immediately contacted someone to advise her and was informed she doesn't have to pay it because it's an out of state ticket. And if she doesn't pay it, she won't be allowed to drive in that state. Dd believed that advisor and didn't pay the ticket.

Today she received a notice from DMV, saying that due to failure to appear in court in response to a summons to answer a charge of speeding, hee license will be suspended indefinitely on 11/1 pending submission to the jurisdiction of the court.

Dd intended to pay the fine before receiving the advice from the advisor. Three hundred is a hefty fine. Is there a possibility of reducing the fine?

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:39 pm
Please get a lawyer.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:48 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Please get a lawyer.

Can I represent dd? I would tell the judge the truth: dd is not employed and doesn't have the $300 to pay.

What can a lawyer do for her that I can't? Wouldn't a lawyer cost $$$ ?

Sebastian

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 2:57 pm
a speeding ticket carries points often. Dd can represent herself. You can't represent her unless you are a lawyer. The judge won't care that she doesn't have a job. He'll offer to suspend her license if she won't pay the fine. Driving is not a right.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 3:35 pm

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 4:43 pm
A lawyer can advise you or your rights, help you fight the points, and maybe minimize the fine. You can do without but in my experience it's helpful.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 4:44 pm
Also you want to make sure her license won't be suspended/ increased fine

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 4:46 pm
lawyer can also have "connections". my dh got a speeding ticket and his lawyer was able to reduce it. he was "friends" with someone

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 5:04 pm
What do do depends on the state. For example, in NJ, speeding carries points and insurance surcharges in addition to the fine. Your $300 would barely be the beginning of it. You can plea bargain for a charge which will incur a fine and court fees but no points or surcharges. This can be done with or without a lawyer, but considering the advice your daughter received so far, she would do well to get real expert advice from a lawyer in your state.

pizzapie

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 9:05 pm
For some reason I was under the impression that one does not get points for an out of state ticket. I could definitely be wrong though.

perquacky

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 10:21 pm
pizzapie wrote:
For some reason I was under the impression that one does not get points for an out of state ticket. I could definitely be wrong though.

Untrue. I once got a speeding ticket out of state. The very kind state trooper lowered the speed limit I was actually doing by three mph specifically so I wouldn't get points on my license. And it was a hefty $300 fine. Could have been worse, and I was very grateful.

doctorima

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 10:44 pm
I believe that NY drivers don't get points on their license for most out-of-state tickets (strange as it sounds, I believe tickets in Ontario and Quebec do cause points), but that doesn't mean you can just ignore them. You still have to fight or pay them, as if you ignore them, it will be reported to the NY DMV, who can suspend your license. Also, not getting points on your NY license doesn't necessarily mean that it won't affect your insurance rates.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Oct 13 2018, 11:33 pm
OTOH the lawyer may cost a good deal more than 300 bucks. I’d tell dd to pay the fine and let that be a lesson to her about speeding. Her employment status has nothing to do with the fact that she broke the law, but the judge might allow her to pay in installments. We should allow people to break the law and go scot free because they’re unemployed?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics