Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Looking for a short term boost

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 2:12 pm
I have to preface this by saying that this is one of the most embarrassing posts I've had to make and I am so thankful for the anon option.

With that said, I'm looking for recommendations for organizations that provide short term assistance-whether in the form of grocery gift cards, vouchers for essentials like toilet paper/paper towels/detergent, etc, or even cash or a check. We are more than happy to give back once we are not drowning anymore but we literally cannot spend any money for the next couple months.
If anyone has a recommendation (in the NY/NJ/CT area,) I will be most grateful.
We are not eligible for any government assistance, tomchei shabbas, or the like. Our income is very good on paper but unfortunately we are going through a medical crisis right now and every penny we have needs to pay for the medications and treatment. IYH we will get through this and will be able to get back to giving our regular levels of tzedaka and hosting guests regularly but right now it is impossible.

Thanks in advance for all recommendations! Tizku lemitzvos!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 2:15 pm
I don't know of any organizations but do you have any friends or family that you might be able to ask or even ask if they could ask around? Do people know about the medical situation. We've lent/given money to a friend in a similar situation. People are usually pretty understanding of medical emergencies...

simba

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 2:20 pm
I dont know much about organizations around. Maybe ask your Rov to recommend.
If you PM me I would be glad to order you some staples.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 2:22 pm
Speak to the social workers at the hospital that you/your family is being treated at. I know (from my experience in that role) that in addition to knowing of charities and foundations to refer you to, many have access to things like target (and grocery) gift cards

Best of luck

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:21 pm
In the 5 Towns/ Far Rockaway:
Achiezer 516-791-4444
Gural JCC S.H.O.P. 516-234-6020
In Brooklyn:
Bnai Raphael Chesed Organization :718-951-6059
Aishel Shabbat (347) 423-8812
Jewish Community Council of Marine Park 718.407.1832
In Queens/ Great Neck:
Young Israel of Great Neck Chesed https://www.yign.org/local-che......html
In New Jersey:
Tomchei Shabbos of Bergen County 201-530-5096
Tomchei Shabbos of Passaic/Clifton 973-773-5090

Please speak to the Rav in your community for referrals to organizations that can help. Or try to find an organization in your area by googling the name of your community plus words like "Jewish organization", "Chesed" "Bikur Holim" "Jewish Federation", etc.

I wish you hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics