Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Any suggestions?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:04 pm
We made a bold move moving my elderly mother with dementia to a new state into a new house to make a long story short, barely 2 months into living into the house, over yom tov there was a bad rain which caused a sewage flood in her room. Not much of monetary value was destroyed, just the walls and floors in the room. My siblings and I are all rather "maxed out" financially, and we are living in a very b'dieved situation with mymother sharing my kids' room while we fix her room. We still need at least $5000 to fix the room. Where do we come up with this money? And no insurance is not in the picture.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:37 pm
Did you try bikur cholim for a grant? Look at senior services in your county. Perhaps if they don't have money for this purpose, they can give money for transportation and/or food to help. How about borrowing from a gemach?

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 7:43 pm
Could you take out a home equity line of credit (HELOC) against your house and pay it back gradually?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:32 pm
Hatzlacha.
Besides getting through this, have you been in touch with an eldercare attorney, or someone who can walk you through this tekufa in general?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:35 pm
So I think the HoELC is being processed but I think those funds are earmarked for something else-again long story, we have been working with an eldercare lawyer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics