Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Health insurance lakewood

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 5:57 pm
Dh and I are the unlucky middle class people working our tails off to make a living (both of us full time), no support. We’re having some changes with health insurance and need to sign up. If I were to sign up with work it would cost us $1,000 a month for both us. This is beyond unaffordable for us. What is reasonable to pay for health insurance and where Can I get such plans? Both relatively healthy people

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:26 pm
I have you a hug because thinking about health insurance makes me need a hug!
We got omnia silver for about &200/250 per person per month.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 6:42 pm
We have Blue Cross Blue Shield through Obama Care. I'm paying for myself less then 200 dollars. Why dont you ask LRRC? They will help you find something that works for you.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 7:08 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I have you a hug because thinking about health insurance makes me need a hug!
We got omnia silver for about &200/250 per person per month.

This sounds very low. Is this a Medicaid plan?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:11 pm
I'm in the same shoes OP. I'm looking into the Jewish healthshare now. Pretty affordable. $350 monthly for couple. I'm just trying to figure out why they keep saying its not a health insurance if it really is a health insurance...
OP - if you don't need a good insurance but just want to be covered then you can get away with a cheap plan through the exchange. It's sort of like an emergency plan. Like in case something happens you shouldn't have to declare bankruptcy type.

Personally, I'm going with insurance for close to 10 years now because its cheaper for me to pay medical bills when I need them than to pay an insurance premium. AND if anything happens I will file chapter 7 then...why should I choke now if I don't need to...

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 8:21 pm
It’s not insurance because insurance is required to comply with lots of stuff including proving they have sufficient assets to cover claims. With any kind of health share there may not be funds available. And they also don’t have to cover all the stuff regular insurance does.

I suspect the low cost posted is because the poster is receiving a subsidy based on income. These can really lower the cost and are based on family size.

Unfor if you or your spouse can get insurance through work you are not eligible for a subsidy even if your income would have qualified you for one. It’s one of the bad effects of the Republican single minded mission to repeal Obamacare. They could have worked with the Democrats to amend it to make it work better but they chose to attempt to repeal. FWIW, all of the major social reform programs such as Social Security and Medicare were extensively amended after passage in order to make them work better.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:

No.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:

Medicaid is free.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:06 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Medicaid is free.

Medicaid is not necessarily free. We used to have free medicaid for our kids, when our income went up they offered us a plan for about $40 a month. I believe that there are people on medicaid with higher incomes who are paying even more per month, but I'm not positive.

Op, we have private insurance for myself and my husband. We pay about $750 a month for a lousy plan with Horizon.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 10:12 pm
I pay 1350/mo for a family of 4. Healthy BH. And I still had an additional 10k out of pocket between copays, dental, vision etc.

You can find a cheap monthly plan (my sister pays 450 for her fam of 4) but you cant compare the coverage, copays amounts, deductibles etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics