Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Where do storage outgrown clothes? What to keep? What not?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 12:33 am
My youngest boy is six. My youngest girl three. Help! Have nowhere to keep any more storage containers of outgrown clothes....where do you keep? What do yo keep? What about off season clothes?

salt

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:05 am
I keep hand-me-downs in garbage bags, in a high up cupboard. Try to keep them sorted roughly by age, season and gender - and label them.
The kids always love taking down the bags at the beginning of each season and seeing what fits them - it's just as exciting as going out to buy new clothes. The younger ones get 'new' clothes, and the older ones reminisce about what they used to wear, and now see their younger sibling wearing it!
I have trouble throwing things out. I do sometimes find myself taking out old clothes and thinking 'why did I keep that? It's totally grubby.' or something like that, and then I chuck it out.
If you have little space you have to be more choosy about what you keep, or pack the clothes in a more compact way.

Off-season clothes, that still fit, I just move to the back of the shelf, or put on the top shelf. My kids in general don't have TONS of clothes, and I do have quite a lot of cupboard space, so those two facts together, make it easy for me to store current clothes, both seasons, together.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:13 am
It will be at least 7 years that the boy clothes will be in storage. I keep a box of newborn cloths of both genders. Give yourself a number of years that is your storage limit. Only save the really really cute, perfect condition clothes. Specific seasonal pieces are good too.
Generally boys clothes are not reusable after age 4 or so. My sons totally wear out their clothes, so it all gets tossed when their done with it. Occasionally I have something to pass down.

salt

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:16 am
Iymnok wrote:
It will be at least 7 years that the boy clothes will be in storage. I keep a box of newborn cloths of both genders. Give yourself a number of years that is your storage limit. Only save the really really cute, perfect condition clothes. Specific seasonal pieces are good too.
Generally boys clothes are not reusable after age 4 or so. My sons totally wear out their clothes, so it all gets tossed when their done with it. Occasionally I have something to pass down.

My 4th son, age 9, is wearing the tops that his 3 older brothers wore. Still clean, good condition, bought in Bazaar Strauss 15 years ago.
I'm not talking about white Shabbos shirts, but dark-colored sweatshirts - why not?
Pants usually get holes in the knee at some point though.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:35 am
Nechoma Greisman A"H's excellent article on clothing storage answers most of your questions!

http://nernechoma.org/reader.a.....-ZMlU

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:47 am
OP here. So right now next to nothing from my boxes is being passed down from one child to next. My boys sets I pass on to a relative right after they finish using it. So I'm doing it for last 2-3 yrs. Tops they wear same. Pants sometimes gets handed down but right away. Doesn't go into storage. I still have baby stuff. Little boy stuff & my girly baby & toddler stuff. I've already accumulated abt 15 storage containers all on top of furniture which is not being in use. I tried clearing my closets but nowhere to put anymore. In storage in my bsmt is not an option. I am over 40 so dont even know if I'll end up with more kids. So what to keep?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:55 am
I recently had this and I went through all my little kid boxes and gave most of it away. I’m not so young, even if I had a baby in 9 months it’s still old stuff. I gave to friends and family and figure if I have a baby I’ll get hand me downs from them.
I did keep (for now) a few pieces that are sentimental (first outfit, hand knitted gifts) and also wraps and blankets.
Space costs me money and a headache too so I’ve learned to let go.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 5:24 am
[quote="amother"]Nechoma Greisman A"H's excellent article on clothing storage

Thanks for sharing. Interesting the way everyone has their systems.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 6:13 am
I like ivorys article, but prefer transpartent plastic bpxes instead of cardbord. you can see what is inside and tehy come in all sizes and are stackable (eg. IKEA samla boxes...)

they are sturdy and waterproof (incase there is a leak in the basement) and relatively cheap too. I use smaller boxes for undergarments/socks etc, larger boxes for skiing suits, winter coats etc medium size for weekday clotehs of different ages.

I used to keep everything. now I limit 3 boxes per age/gender, I keep nly the very best things, neatly packed and labelled.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
I recently had this and I went through all my little kid boxes and gave most of it away. I’m not so young, even if I had a baby in 9 months it’s still old stuff. I gave to friends and family and figure if I have a baby I’ll get hand me downs from them.
I did keep (for now) a few pieces that are sentimental (first outfit, hand knitted gifts) and also wraps and blankets.
Space costs me money and a headache too so I’ve learned to let go.

My first four were all boys and I used to save and hand down. By the time my fifth was born we were awash in clothing and no space so I stopped saving. When I need clothing I either get hand me downs, buy second hand or on sale.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 8:48 am
It's just not worth it. Keep a few special items and let others get good use out of the clothing while they're current and pristine.
I saved a box for every size and then realized I used maybe 1 piece from each one when it came down to it. Unless you have a child that will wear it within 2 years, pass it on. The older clothes get age spots too sometimes even through put away freshly laundered.
I usually put the clothes away after the season and take it out again during the next year's season to see what still fits. Then I try to pass on the rest. If I have some special items that I think I'd like to use in 5 years, I do hold on to a piece here, good skirts there. But I have a designated space for such items and if it gets too full I have to reevaluate and give some away.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 11:43 am
Lymnok so how many years do you storage or rather till what age/size should I keep for both genders if I don't have my own younger kids to pass down to? Also can some neutral boys pajamas or sweaters/pullovers be passed down to girl or you think that after a couple of boys I'll want my dgtr in only pink girly pjs & frilly dresses? Do you think if I save neutral things will she end up wearing when she's older or not?

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 11:51 am
I would suggest keeping newborn clothing in both genders and maybe a little older and get rid of most everything else except may be if its really special. Baby clothing takes up less room and matter less about being dated. I find that I get stressed about what to dress the new baby in but over time people offer hand me downs so that's my logic.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
I would suggest keeping newborn clothing in both genders and maybe a little older and get rid of most everything else except may be if its really special. Baby clothing takes up less room and matter less about being dated. I find that I get stressed about what to dress the new baby in but over time people offer hand me downs so that's my logic.

This is what I do.
My youngest son is 8. I gave away all his clothes once he turned 7. I do have boxes of clothes from his older brothers that will be passed down to him and once he's done with it, out it goes.
I now have my first girl. I decided that just like I've managed without having anything when she was born so too ill manage again if I have another one. I have a SIL that's expecting and if she has a girl, I'm giving her all of her outgrown clothes instead of storing them.
I will save one or two timeless expensive pieces though.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 12:01 pm
Baby stuff styles also change, but I find it makes sense to keep because my babies & toddlers that are home, I change a couple of times a day, so you need to have with what to rotate.....In worst case you can get one nice thing to go out on the streets with, if styles change. For girls it's pink for years already. For newborn boys the "in" color keeps changing in my locale.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 12:03 pm
when I say matter less I'm talking stretchies... and yes I'm a SAHM solots of clothing can be worn just at home Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics