Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood Yeshivah Ketaneh chassidish

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 11:46 pm
Fellow lakewooders can you help me out?

What are some names of Yeshivah Ketanehs in Lakewood that are either chassidish or chassidish friendly?

When is the deadline to apply for next year?

How hard is it to get in? Is protektzia needed like with the schools?

Any information would be helpful.

Lovemykids1

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 1:46 am
darchei avoseinu
masires avos
toras emes
talmud torah
stolin

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 1:49 am
Lovemykids1 wrote:
darchei avoseinu
masires avos
toras emes
talmud torah
stolin

Thank you! Some of these names I recognize as cheder names. The yeshivah ketaneh department is a part of the cheder or it's a separate yeshivah?

keym

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
Thank you! Some of these names I recognize as cheder names. The yeshivah ketaneh department is a part of the cheder or it's a separate yeshivah?

When you say yeshiva ketaneh do you mean elementary or high school?
If you mean elementary, those names are good, and applications need to happen NOW.
If you mean high school- mesivta, I'm not sure when applications go. At least after Chanuka.
Rabbi Shimannowitz has a chassidishe mesivta and Mesivta of Lakewood takes a fair number of chassidish or heimish boys.
But there are dozens and dozens of small mesivtas (1 or 2 ninth grades with 20 boys per class) so I don't know any more.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 8:34 am
keym wrote:
When you say yeshiva ketaneh do you mean elementary or high school?
If you mean elementary, those names are good, and applications need to happen NOW.
If you mean high school- mesivta, I'm not sure when applications go. At least after Chanuka.
Rabbi Shimannowitz has a chassidishe mesivta and Mesivta of Lakewood takes a fair number of chassidish or heimish boys.
But there are dozens and dozens of small mesivtas (1 or 2 ninth grades with 20 boys per class) so I don't know any more.

My son is currently in kittah tes, 13yrs old. So I guess I mean high school? It's my oldest, I'm honestly not familiar with the jargon. I know that after kitah tes is yeshivah ketaneh but I don't even know how many years that runs for. Is yeshivah ketaneh 4 years like high school?

keym

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:22 am
Honestly, in Lakewood, I've never heard anyone refer to it as yeshiva ketana but I've hears of elementary school level (5-13) referred to like that.
In Lakewood, it is referred to as high school or mesivta. It starts after elementary or cheder. Around 14 year old. It lasts 4 years. Then boys will either stay in the same yeshiva or transfer to a different one but to the Bais Medrash program.

My sons are a bit younger, but with my friends experiences, many mothers are not as actively involved in the process of researching and looking into mesivtas, but I could be wrong.
They prefer to take more of a back seat and let the father and the boy's preference and ability make the choices.

Like I said, there are many many mesivtas, some are larger (but not huge), and some are very small. Each one is quite similar, but supposedly has a slightly different twist.
Many have an official name, but are reffered to by the Rosh Yeshiva's name- Treffs, Greenfield, Slomowitz etc.

Hatzlocha.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:29 am
keym wrote:
Honestly, in Lakewood, I've never heard anyone refer to it as yeshiva ketana but I've hears of elementary school level (5-13) referred to like that.
In Lakewood, it is referred to as high school or mesivta. It starts after elementary or cheder. Around 14 year old. It lasts 4 years. Then boys will either stay in the same yeshiva or transfer to a different one but to the Bais Medrash program.

My sons are a bit younger, but with my friends experiences, many mothers are not as actively involved in the process of researching and looking into mesivtas, but I could be wrong.
They prefer to take more of a back seat and let the father and the boy's preference and ability make the choices.

Like I said, there are many many mesivtas, some are larger (but not huge), and some are very small. Each one is quite similar, but supposedly has a slightly different twist.
Many have an official name, but are reffered to by the Rosh Yeshiva's name- Treffs, Greenfield, Slomowitz etc.

Hatzlocha.

Thank you. We are from Brooklyn hence the difference in jargon. I obviously will not be so involved but I wanted to give my husband some names to start off his search with. None of our Lakewood friends have boys this age, that's why I'm asking here.

keym

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:37 am
How Chassidish are you vs Heimish?
I'm not chassidish, but my husband is periferally involved I various mesivtas.
Shemanowitz is Heimish/Chassidish- feeds from Talmud Torah and Mesoras Avos. Many boys wear various permutations of the levush.
Mesivta of Lakewood takes a nice percentage of chassidish boys, but it is a litvish place.
Many mesivtas have at least a handful of boys in the levush.
I believe there are at least two other mesivtas that are chassidish but I don't have names.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:48 am
What makes us more chassidish or more heimish?

Husband and son wear the levush- biber hit, lange rekel. We speak to the kids in English so they're fluent but between themselves they speak Yiddish.

I don't want a very extreme (chinyuked) chassidish high school. But I want a place where my son will feel comfortable and not stand out because of his levush.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:49 am
Keym thank you for answering my posts I appreciate it!

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 26 2018, 9:51 am
Are there any heimish/chassidish Brooklyn amothers that recently moved and have high school aged boys?

Would love to hear from more posters.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 1:49 pm
I am considered chassidish in Lakewood, though my menfolk do not wear lange or biberhits. Some of my sons went to Shemano (not Shemanowitz Wink ) There are many bachurim there with the whole levush, and there are many with regular up hats and jackets.

There is also Bernstein (pronounced Berinshtein) which is also a mix though it leans more towards more chassidish. We sent one son there. We are very happy with both mesivtas.

If you are not a sibling (which it seems your son is not) it might be harder to get into Shemano than Bernstein. Both are very good, though.

Can't think of any others offhand. If I do, I will come back to post.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
I am considered chassidish in Lakewood, though my menfolk do not wear lange or biberhits. Some of my sons went to Shemano (not Shemanowitz Wink ) There are many bachurim there with the whole levush, and there are many with regular up hats and jackets.

There is also Bernstein (pronounced Berinshtein) which is also a mix though it leans more towards more chassidish. We sent one son there. We are very happy with both mesivtas.

If you are not a sibling (which it seems your son is not) it might be harder to get into Shemano than Bernstein. Both are very good, though.

Can't think of any others offhand. If I do, I will come back to post.

Thank you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics