Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Death in camp?
Previous  1  2  3  4

merrygold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 12:55 pm
I kept thinking of the plot as a tragic comedy- just googled and found this genre:

Tragicomedy is a literary genre that blends aspects of both tragic and comic forms. Most often seen in dramatic literature, the term can variously describe by either a tragic play which contains enough comic elements to lighten the overall mood or a serious play with a happy ending.

The key with tragicomedy is that the work needs to still largely be comedic, even though the plot lines may be serious in nature. In order to execute this balance, many writers will use the points of tension in their stories to gauge the points of comedy vs. tragedy.

This is the type of story I hope to write. I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and their opinions and thoughts on this.

mommy2379

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 1:02 pm
I work in the industry and have found tragicomedy does not go over well with frum audiences. Maybe they’re too sensitive, it’s almost like they read it as “making fun” Or “making light”, they find it tasteless. Just something to keep in mind- hatzlacha Raba!

merrygold

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 1:07 pm
Really mommy2379? Oh gosh Sad I was thinking that it could fit into ami's serials- they always include all sorts of things things that no one else in frum literature would touch and even their non-fiction pieces get graphic- particularly in the aim. Does anyone else see this?

mommy2379

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 1:09 pm
merrygold wrote:
Really mommy2379? Oh gosh Sad I was thinking that it could fit into ami's serials- they always include all sorts of things things that no one else in frum literature would touch and even their non-fiction pieces get graphic- particularly in the aim. Does anyone else see this?

pitch it and see what they say. but if I were you I wouldn't invest in it without knowing first if someone's gonna take it.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 1:14 pm
merrygold wrote:
I'm writing a novel set in a frum girls' sleep away camp. During the summer there's a freak accident and a girl dies. I'm trying to figure out how the other campers would manage. Have you ever had a girl die in your camp? What was it like?

Thanks!

I’m not sure such a traumatic subject would sell well in our community.

9mother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 1:54 pm
mommish613 wrote:
I agree with that. You can bring out the emotions of the characters dealing with the tragedy by starting off the book right after the death took place. The actual death shouldn’t be in the book, it’s just too much to read about a frum teenager dying. We have enough real life tragedies unfortunately. Why the need to sensationalize it? I would not read a book that had scenes of a teenagers death unless it was during the holocaust.

Correct! It is too much graphic detail, and just extra anxiety thats not needed in the frum workd. I think we have enough real live ones. But what you can do. Is do an interview with a girl who it happened to a freind. N write a book of that girls struggles. Still I would not recomend my kids to read it
But it seems to be that you REALLY want that part in the public , n you think its interesting. Soo heres a different idea. Point is. Dont make more stories in the world. We need to lessen the pain in klall yisroel not add more. So an interview , is based on something that happened already.
Good luck, hope this was helpful!
Cant wait to here what you chose.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:20 pm
merrygold wrote:

I used to read the AIM series with the detective girl, but I wouldn't let my kids read it.

The stam articles though, have roiled my blood. Particularly the one about the fur industry. They actually put a picture of an animal having it's skin being sliced off its face while still alive. A dog-like creature.
I was horrified and angry. I don't do fur, but I also don't do trauma.
I've written for AMI in the past, and these things make me take a step back and say, hey, maybe I don't want to be published there... (Let's not even talk about Lev Tahor, etc.)

groovy1224

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:31 pm
I find it interesting that nearly everyone here is against the idea of such a book, when not too long ago (Can't find the link right now) there was a thread about how terrible most Jewish novels/serials are because they never tackle real issues.

I can completely understand and respect someone who would not want (for herself or her kids) to read such a book, but I can say for myself that I would. I do read secular literature, even ones with tragic events. So I would be interested in one that takes place in a Jewish setting.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:48 pm
merrygold wrote:

Novel Concept- I'm so curious who you are and if you actually know me but as I just came up with the plot on Shabbos, I can't imagine that you know what it is. Other than myself and my husband there is only 1 other person who knows what it contains. Are you she?

Merrygold, I admit, you do not seem to be who I thought you are!
But I do know someone who is also writing a book along those lines, and the story does not sit well with me...

InnerMe

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:49 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I find it interesting that nearly everyone here is against the idea of such a book, when not too long ago (Can't find the link right now) there was a thread about how terrible most Jewish novels/serials are because they never tackle real issues.

I can completely understand and respect someone who would not want (for herself or her kids) to read such a book, but I can say for myself that I would. I do read secular literature, even ones with tragic events. So I would be interested in one that takes place in a Jewish setting.

You are confusing to things here.
I don't exactly remember the thread, but I would guess that the objection to frum literature is that it doesn't address real issues- as in mental health issues, substance abuse, suicidal thoughts, describing significant marital challenges and the like. But this IMO is in an altogether different category. I see it as traumatic, and not offering any real value, other then the thrill of a "scary" novel.

But again, like I said different strokes for different folks. She's free to write whatever book she wants.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 7:53 am
I have personal issues with the use of humour in such stories, especially when c'v real.

I read all kinds of things but real horror stories with kids? Nope.

merrygold

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 9:28 am
I want to thank everyone for their feedback! I shared the plot with a few people IRL and I will be scaling down the intensity a bit. The real reason I'm writing this is to get back into writing. I'll be writing it during November, with a goal of 50,000 words, as per the NaNoWriMo guidelines. After reading all of your responses, I'm more aware that this probably won't get published but I still look forward to writing it for the writing experience.
NaNoWriMo launches today. Today my novel begins. Whether the world will enjoy it remains to be seen but I plan to enjoy this process. Thank you all.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 9:44 am
merrygold wrote:
I want to thank everyone for their feedback! I shared the plot with a few people IRL and I will be scaling down the intensity a bit. The real reason I'm writing this is to get back into writing. I'll be writing it during November, with a goal of 50,000 words, as per the NaNoWriMo guidelines. After reading all of your responses, I'm more aware that this probably won't get published but I still look forward to writing it for the writing experience.
NaNoWriMo launches today. Today my novel begins. Whether the world will enjoy it remains to be seen but I plan to enjoy this process. Thank you all.

Good luck! I like your attitude!
And if your writing it more for the writing experience then definitely something that excites and appeals to you is the way to go. Hatzlacha!

momsrus

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:19 am
NovelConcept wrote:
I used to read the AIM series with the detective girl, but I wouldn't let my kids read it.

The stam articles though, have roiled my blood. Particularly the one about the fur industry. They actually put a picture of an animal having it's skin being sliced off its face while still alive. A dog-like creature.
I was horrified and angry. I don't do fur, but I also don't do trauma.
I've written for AMI in the past, and these things make me take a step back and say, hey, maybe I don't want to be published there... (Let's not even talk about Lev Tahor, etc.)

There was once a picture in the aim of a wax scene with a person murdered on floor covered in blood. I was shocked to see this in a kids magazine and thought it was terrible.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:38 am
Honestly, I think many of us are just using our sensitive Mom radars here. I read The Bridge to Terabithia as a kid and it made me cry, but I wouldn’t disallow my children to read it! It’s ok for them feel all kinds of emotions. I would object to a graphic death, as the visuals would make it too traumatic, but then again, even Harry Potter has teen deaths and children around the world devour it. Are there no frum books out there that have death in them? I’ve read many holocaust books growing up, some of which were quite gruesome. As an adult and especially as a mother, I am far less likely to read a book of that nature as there are so many real life tragedies happening, I’d rather escape into a happier world.

too tired

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:48 am
1)To all moms saying it's horrible, that's why YOUR JOB is to skim thru books our kids bring. It's very hard for me to keep up. Because they bring a lot of books.

2) Anyway, yes I have a story, In a Chasidishe camp I think he was a councelor, They all went to Quasi Water park, he passed away in the wave pool there. It was very traumatic for our boys who were there as it happened. And for his family. He was a very nice person. Tehe Nishmaso Tsrura Bitsror Hachaim.

What was done? I dont remember.... I remember them calling home telling us all details. looking back I think it was good important debriefing to call parents.

too tired

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 10:59 am
It's just that tragic comic on a very raw nerve like sending away kids and we get extra emotional....you might have a point. Im not sure I would enjoy it, but Im not a maven on books at all. And I dont read a lot

too tired

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 12:51 pm
Rethinking, yes, The story of the detective with the babies was very good.
So maybe it will be OK, after all there are many CA books. And it can be a good book as an example how to tackle tragedies when it affects a group or school. Of course it should have spunk too. Who said it cannot be a topic that's a little out of the usual? Are we as moms educators & therapists well prepared for such events or even less traumatic events in a frum setting where there are halachos as well? Im sure many are not! (May Hashem never test us)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 2:39 pm
I read allmy kids books and mags a sharpie in hand
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics