Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Do your kids sleep in the same room??

busylady

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:17 pm
I have a 2 yr old, and a nine month old, and a 2 bedroom apt. for now, my 2 year old sleeps in her own room, and my nine month old sleeps in the dining room. It's really annoying, cuz when I put them to bed, I can't go into the dining room to do any work. I want to move them both into the same bedroom, but I think they'll just wake eachother up. any suggestions??

rmf

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:38 pm
I have the same problem...
a 18 months and a little one that still sleeps in my room, and I was wondering how I would move him into the other bedroom.
dining room is not an option - no space.. LOL

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 11:29 pm
I think it depends on the kids. I have a 2 bdroom also. My kids are 4 1/2, 3 and 19 months. They all sleep in the same room. Truth is that my 19 month old will go to sleep better if her brothers are in the room also when they are going to sleep at night. If I put her to sleep in the room alone she freaks out and cries. Put them to sleep in the same room, don't get them used to sleeping in seperate room unless you plan on always having your kids in thier own rooms.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 11:52 pm
My kids are 3.3 and 1.5 and sleep wonderfully in the same bed.

The trick is to respond to crying fairly soon.
Is the 2 y.o. in a crib or bed?

busylady

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 1:05 am
my 2 yr. old is in a crib, and my 9 month old is in a pack and play. I can just imagine the first one finally falling asleep, and then when I put the second one to sleep, she'll wake up the first one. do you put them to sleep at the same time? they don't keep eachother up?

drumjj

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 2:42 am
hiya my kids are four and a half and two and a half and sleep in seperate rooms because at the moment I dont have room to put a cot in my older daughters bedroom and I was always worried that they wouldnt sleep properly but we went away to israel for two and a half weeks and they slept in a room together and were fine together I was so worried but they both slept fine

mimivan

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 3:49 am
This is definitely not for everyone, and happens de facto from attachment parenting (I think...I have shared a bed with the baby since he was born because of nursing) but we're all in the same room (we have a very small apartment). The advantage to this is I never have to worry about the 4 year old or the 15 month old bugging each other (the 15month old likes to wake people up when he's bored and wants to play), but when the 15 month old wakes up, like at 4:30 am this morning, everyone wakes up too...

In terms of safety, it is a good plan, but there are other issues.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 5:49 pm
I nurse the baby to sleep while my older boy lies next to me and they just fall asleep. If the baby cries at night, I nurse him.
You have to take care of a kid who wakes up anyway, so if he's being too noisy take care of him in another room.

Mommastuff

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 10:44 pm
I don't know how anyone does it. I tried putting my 2 yr old with my 1 year old numerous times and they inevidably wake each other up. I have the baby in a small room off to the side but the pack & play is in the way really. They sleep great in seperate rooms and I hate to think of losing more sleep for convenience of space but I'd like them to be in 'their' room, not 'hers' and 'hers'.

I guess all kids are different. A sneeze or cough would wake up either of mine.

Squash

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 11:16 pm
Very very doable. I also have a 2 br apt. and have 5 kids sleeping in the same (smallish) room. Don't ask how long bedtime takes...... But once they're asleep, they end up getting used to and ignoring the cries. It takes a couple of nights but after that, they just dream on..........

zigi

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 11:27 pm
they get used to it ds can sleep through a tantrum, just be prepared for the kids being woken up and have to put them asleep again. this might take a bit of time. the only problem is the morning they wake each other up to go play, when one of them would have slept longer if they were in their own room, but if he was tired I would put them back to sleep for an early nap,

Squash

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 11:31 pm
That's true. The night isn't a problem. But I do think they wouldn't wake up as early if they wouldn't all be together.

GAMZu

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 12:20 am
Agreed on all accounts!
-yes, they get used to it and you're all the better for it.
-yes, they do wake each other early, but then they get on the same schedule so it evens out.
(My 3.3 y.o. serves my 1.5 year old breakfast while I sleep! He pokes a hole in the lid of a leben and sticks a straw in, gives out cheese slices, bananas... Today I woke up to my kids coating me with mashed bananas. Ah, the joys of motherhood...)

zigi

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 1:12 am
gamzu my ds gave dd chicken and couscous. he brought it to her, I try to leave him better options but I guess it looked good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics