Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Front loader - why has the cycle become so long?

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 11:32 pm
I have a whirlpool front loader. The normal cycle used to take 47 minutes, now takes 1 hour and 20 minutes. I tried cleaning the washer with affresh multiple times but it hasn't made a difference. Does anyone have any tips?

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 12:16 am
It might not be draining properly. Have you tried cleaning out the pump filter? Usually there's a small door near the bottom of the machine. Obviously every model differs, but generally there's a large handle you rotate to remove the filter. A lot of water will drain out so use rags or a container to catch it. Some models have a hose near the filter that the water drains from.

Every time my machine slows down, this is the issue. Usually there's a baby sock, hair clip, or other such items that are clogging the pump, and clearing it out fixes the problem right up.

boots

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 12:16 am
if the machine is off balance it can keep trying to balance the load and it will take longer.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 5:00 am
Does it initially set itself to over 1 hour and it used to set itself to 47 minutes?
Or does it set itself to 47 minutes and then tskes over an hour? If it's the latter it could be that too much detergent is being used and it's having a hard time rinsing it off.

Metukah

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:20 am
Teomima wrote:
It might not be draining properly. Have you tried cleaning out the pump filter? Usually there's a small door near the bottom of the machine. Obviously every model differs, but generally there's a large handle you rotate to remove the filter. A lot of water will drain out so use rags or a container to catch it. Some models have a hose near the filter that the water drains from.

Every time my machine slows down, this is the issue. Usually there's a baby sock, hair clip, or other such items that are clogging the pump, and clearing it out fixes the problem right up.

This.

When my machine starts slowing down, I clean the drain pump. Works wonders.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:24 am
Teomima wrote:

When the water drains out how do you know and get to a baby sock or hair clip?

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
When the water drains out how do you know and get to a baby sock or hair clip?

They get caught in the pump filter. So whenever my machine doesn't drain like I should, I clean out the filter and end up coming across something that was clogging it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:33 am
Teomima wrote:
They get caught in the pump filter. So whenever my machine doesn't drain like I should, I clean out the filter and end up coming across something that was clogging it.

Thanks found the video to see what you mean. I'd like to maintain this as we just had our pump replaced.
https://www.lg.com/us/support/.....nance

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:19 am
thanks for all the responses. to clarify - when setting to normal it used to display 47 and then take 47 minutes to complete. Now when setting to normal displays 1:20 and takes that long to complete. I would love to try to clean the pump as some suggested but I have a whirlpool not an LG. Does anyone have experience with that machine? thanks again for taking the time to respond

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:20 am
amother wrote:
thanks for all the responses. to clarify - when setting to normal it used to display 47 and then take 47 minutes to complete. Now when setting to normal displays 1:20 and takes that long to complete. I would love to try to clean the pump as some suggested but I have a whirlpool not an LG. Does anyone have experience with that machine? thanks again for taking the time to respond

It doesn't matter what brand, they should all have a pump filter (for what it's worth, mine is a Bosch, so also not LG).
Is it possible the settings got miscalibrated somehow? So like when you set out for a regular wash it misreads it as a regular wash with a prewash?
Why not call Whirlpool and ask if they can tell you? Meanwhile do try finding and clearing the filter, in case that helps.

imokay

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 11:42 am
Did you manually change any of the pre set settings on the normal cycle, like speed or how dirty? Changing those settings would change the wash time....

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 1:46 pm
no, haven't changed the settings. will try to locate the filter - can't seem to do on my own, will have my husband try when he gets home later... thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry