Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bday party timing questions. How much advance notice needed?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 5:52 pm
I promised DD a birthday party this year but there's just no "right" time! The best option I can think of is this coming Sunday, which I didn't think of before because I didn't think it was ideal until just about everything else was ruled out.

I figure it will take a bunch of time and stress to get it together in time but then we'll get it over with?

The question is, is it too inconvenient for the other parents to have just 5 days' notice of this? The age and location means it will be necessary for parents to bring their children, or at least carpool or something. I'm more than fine if not everyone shows up because frankly I don't have space for everyone embarrassed I'm sort of counting on the reality that it's never going to work out for EVERYONE. But I also don't want to end up with either no one coming or with everyone getting annoyed at the late schedule change.

The only other option I can think of is Chanukah when I'm sure people are too busy already anyway and not interested in another thing to shlep to. There are two Sundays this year, morning is a possibility. And they are off from school Monday but I can only do afternoon, which could be annoying with regard to getting home in time for lighting, and also might be an issue for parents who are working. I like Sundays but there are just none available!

What's better, Chanukah or in 5 days?!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:09 pm
I would be quite happy with a text invite 5 days before. Send it out now. Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:14 pm
We usually get invitations two or three days before, so today for sunday is great.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would be quite happy with a text invite 5 days before. Send it out now. Smile

Can't text, the class list is almost all landlines

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Can't text, the class list is almost all landlines
give your child invitations to hand out in school.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 7:38 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
give your child invitations to hand out in school.

Yes, that's the plan. Which means at best the child gives the invitation to the parent tomorrow evening. If they remember. So I hope that's not too late for them to make arrangements for the kids to get to the party. I also hope it's not too late for me to set up for this party without losing my head.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, that's the plan. Which means at best the child gives the invitation to the parent tomorrow evening. If they remember. So I hope that's not too late for them to make arrangements for the kids to get to the party. I also hope it's not too late for me to set up for this party without losing my head.

It’s totally doable! Maybe we can help
You with the planning. If you have a Party City in your area or a good 99 cents store then you should be able to get stuff there.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 9:49 pm
I think it’s fine. I’ve done same recently. But I think no later than tomorrow

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 9:57 pm
I've found that giving parents plenty of notice isn't even helpful. I don't know if it's bad manners or just people's lives are busy and disorgnaized, but nobody RSVPs in a timely manner (or at all) anyhow and when I chase them down for an answer it's always, "we'll see, not sure yet." So no harm in giving only a couple days notice IMO. Probably even preferable as this way they don't forget about it. (That happens all the time too).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children