Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
MEASLES OUTBREAK GROWS: Boro Park Newborns in ICU;
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:04 pm
MEASLES OUTBREAK GROWS: Boro Park Newborns in ICU; Lakewood 11 Cases; Monsey 68 Cases; Rabbonim Slam Anti-Vaxxers

The measles outbreak is spreading in Chareidi communities throughout the Tri-State area. The outbreak is mostly affecting the Frum population, fueled by anti-vaccine propaganda spread by a small minority of the community. Not only is the anti-vaxxer cult responsible for this outbreak, but they are responsible for anti-Semitic propaganda that has begun spreading online – specifically targeting Jews because of failing to get vaccinated.

OCEAN COUNTY , NJ (LAKEWOOD)

The following is a summary with new and ongoing information with respect to the measles outbreak from the Ocean County Health Department.

There are now 11 confirmed measles cases.
There are also seven potential cases under investigation.
Vaccination is encouraged and those children involved with exposure to a confirmed case may be subject to an order of exclusion, if unvaccinated.
The Ocean County Health Department continues to support and highly encourage the exclusion of non-vaccinated children from schools, preschools and daycares in the outbreak area. These entities have the authority to make that decision when an outbreak has been declared by the New Jersey Department of Health.
People are reminded to check their immunization records and if there is any sign of symptoms to contact your healthcare provider prior to showing up at that provider’s office so that appropriate arrangements can be made for examination or treatment.
The potential for spreading infection exists four days prior and four days after a measles rash onset.
People can become ill from measles from 5 to 21 days after being exposed to the virus.
Measles-like symptoms include fever, rash, runny nose, cough, loss of appetite and pink eye.
Measles can spread through coughing and sneezing and can live on surfaces and in the air for up to two hours.
30% of measles cases involve additional serious health complications.
An audio recording of Hagaon HaRav Uren Reich, the Rosh Yeshiva of Woodlake, is currently viral on social media. The shiur was recorded THREE YEARS AGO, but the words are timely. YWN has confirmed that Rav Reich’s opinion on the matter is the same, and even stronger now than before against the anti-vaxxers

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:05 pm
Crying

sky

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:11 pm
2 babies are in Maimonides hospital. Sad

happyone

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:12 pm
Yup. Sad. You should hear the antisemitism coming out of this. I spent lots of time this week in a non Jewish healthcare system and I literally have a hard time defending our community . All I keep saying aa that there are ignorant and irresponsible, self harming individuals in every society, it's not only the orthodox and measles.

Plonis

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:25 pm
What I don't understand is why there isn't more of a push for people to be RESPONSIBLE, and less hysteria and hate.

If you are not vaccinated, then you need to quarantine yourself until this outbreak ends. If everyone unvaccinated did that for 3 weeks, most of the outbreak would be over.

People die from vaccines, yes that is rare but true. But it is also true, and far more common, to a far greater extent, that people die from measles.

You have the right to choose not to vaccinate, but if you take that position, you have a responsibility to not pass on diseases! In case of an outbreak, either decide that the MMR is worth the risk at this point, or quarantine yourself!

Every decision comes with consequences.

However, the hate and polarizing is not helping anyone. Neither are halachic debates. Do you really think that a body of law that can't agree on which bracha to make on rice is going to be all on the same side here?

Mevater

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:27 pm
Plonis wrote:
However, the hate and polarizing is not helping anyone. Neither are halachic debates. Do you really think that a body of law that can't agree on which bracha to make on rice is going to be all on the same side here?

Id like to hear the name of ONE Gadol who is anti-vax NOW!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:28 pm
Mevater wrote:
Id like to hear the name of ONE Gadol who is anti-vax NOW!

Still the same ones.

Mevater

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Still the same ones.

After babies being in the ICU?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 7:32 pm
Plonis wrote:
What I don't understand is why there isn't more of a push for people to be RESPONSIBLE, and less hysteria and hate.

If you are not vaccinated, then you need to quarantine yourself until this outbreak ends. If everyone unvaccinated did that for 3 weeks, most of the outbreak would be over.

People die from vaccines, yes that is rare but true. But it is also true, and far more common, to a far greater extent, that people die from measles.

You have the right to choose not to vaccinate, but if you take that position, you have a responsibility to not pass on diseases! In case of an outbreak, either decide that the MMR is worth the risk at this point, or quarantine yourself!

Every decision comes with consequences.

I think that a lot of adults who assume that they got both MMR injections at some time in their life in fact did not. From what it sounds like, many of the measles patients are adults and several claim to have been vaccinated.

esuss

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Still the same ones.

Who are they? All these articles and comments quoting rabbonim against vaccines and I have yet to see their name or signed psak from them.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:10 pm
esuss wrote:
Who are they? All these articles and comments quoting rabbonim against vaccines and I have yet to see their name or signed psak from them.

I've seen a few in secular publications and they keep quoting this rav I never heard of named Rabbi William something-or-other. The stories do represent that most Orthodox ppl vaccinate but of course spend most of the article covering ppl who don't, because that's the "interesting" part.

I want to comment on these things that Rabbi William whoever doesn't represent the vast majority of Orthodox Jews but then what's the point in getting into arguments with ppl. The truth is that too many people in these communities aren't vaccinating and that's why there's an outbreak.

Mevater

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:28 pm
Rabbi William is an unknown. Hes no Gadol Hador by any stretch of the imagination.

Can anyone come up with ONE Gadol Hador who will be anti-Vax, with infants in the ICU? Me no think so.

Right right right, the pharmaceutical companies are to blame for these newborns getting the measles.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:39 pm
esuss wrote:

R Shmuel Kamenetsky, Rabbi Chaim Kanievsky. There's an anti vax coalition with R Malkiel Kotler, R Elya Ber Wachtfogel, R Shmuel Meir Katz. R Matisyahu Salomon's signature was on the must not reject non vax kids from school letter and a bunch of other signatures I couldn't discern.

R Shmuel Kamenetsky and his wife Temi from Philly are the most vocal.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

jkl

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
R Shmuel Kamenetsky, Rabbi Chaim Kanievsky. There's an anti vax coalition with R Malkiel Kotler, R Elya Ber Wachtfogel, R Shmuel Meir Katz. R Matisyahu Salomon's signature was on the must not reject non vax kids from school letter and a bunch of other signatures I couldn't discern.

Dated what year?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:48 pm
jkl wrote:
Dated what year?

Now I believe. Let me see if I can find it.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:

R' Chaim Kanievsky was part of a very pro vax campaign in Israel a few years ago. He ruled a school can't throw out an unvaccinated kid, but he isn't anti vax at all.

A number of batei din (whose rabbanim are pro vax) ruled that a school can throw out a kid for not being vaxxed. It had to do with how halacha deals with the shaila. It does not mean the rabbanim involved are anti vax (some of the above rabbanim are noted for being anti vax, but afaik not all are).

smile12345

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I don't think this is true regarding R'Chaim Kanievsky. I believe he once ruled that the school should accept the unvaccinated children and it has since been twisted by anti-vaxxers as support for their movement. He never said you shouldn't vaccinate.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:55 pm
Quote:
The potential for spreading infection exists four days prior and four days after a measles rash onset.
People can become ill from measles from 5 to 21 days after being exposed to the virus.

This makes me furious. People think that just because their kid doesn't have any bumps, that they're not contagious. Sure, go play with the neighbor kids! Sure, go to school. Mommy and Daddy can't miss work staying home. We're not vaxxed either, but we'll go to work as usual!

Mad

ETA: they're, not their!

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:59 pm
jkl wrote:
Dated what year?

I was wrong. The collation is from this year but the letter not allowing Lakewood schools from rejecting non vaccinated children was from 2015 signed by Salomon, Kotler, Kamenetsky and another signature I couldn't read.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....f.jpg

http://www.rationalistjudaism......l?m=1

Sebastian

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:02 pm
ra_mom a Chicago beis din that isn't anti vax at all ruled the same way. I believe that's what the halacha is for that particular case.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics