Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Papers to go over the usa/Canadian border. *time sensitive*

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:52 am
So I was told, an adult can only pass the border with a valid passport/passport card or an 'enhanced' driver/non drivers ID.

My niece asked around and tells me she was told she can pass with her regular drivers ID and a birth certificate.

Anyone know? She needs to leave in the next 45 minutes. So it's urgent. Thank you.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:54 am
She can, but she won't be able to get back into the US without a passport.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:55 am
Tzutzie wrote:
So I was told, an adult can only pass the border with a valid passport/passport card or an 'enhanced' driver/non drivers ID.

My niece asked around and tells me she was told she can pass with her regular drivers ID and a birth certificate.

Anyone know? She needs to leave in the next 45 minutes. So it's urgent. Thank you.

Not sure where you are but I used to regularly pass through the VT/Canada border with just my drivers’ license.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:57 am
Amother slate blue we are in NY.

cnc wrote:
She can, but she won't be able to get back into the US without a passport.

Are you sure? She's a US citizen. US birth certificate.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:58 am
How old is she? A child can go with a birth certificate, an adult needs a passport. (Many ppl have gotten through with just a license but it’s a chance)

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:59 am
amother wrote:
How old is she? A child can go with a birth certificate, an adult needs a passport. (Many ppl have gotten through with just a license but it’s a chance)

She's 22. An adult. Going with a charter bus full of ppl to a simcha.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:19 am
Bump. Anyone went back and forth the Canadian US NY border with a non enhanced ID and a birth certificate? How did it go?

mo5

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:27 am
Tzutzie wrote:
Bump. Anyone went back and forth the Canadian US NY border with a non enhanced ID and a birth certificate? How did it go?

Why not call the border?
Google Canada border crossings
And check with the Americans too so they won’t give her a hard time coming back.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:45 am
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answe.....ravel

Quick answer --the laws have changed in recent years. If it were my relative, I'd have her get the enhanced driver's license, and have her birth certificate. Or get a passport, depending on how long she has.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:00 am
She took the bus. Hopefully she won't have a problem coming back. If she does, she'll deal with it. I wouldn't go. But its her choice.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:00 am
Thank you all for your help!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:05 am
For driving it's generally ok.
With air travel the regulations are different.
Hatzlacha Rabba!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:08 am
For US citizens they are generally lenient.

Not so with other countries.....I know someone who came from S. Africa but grew up in the US, and she was held up at the border.

We went this past summer and my niece had an expired passport, and her driver's permit. They asked her a few questions but gave no further trouble. She was 16, though, which is legally a child....

esther36

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:16 am
Just drove two weeks ago in and out of Canada. Birth certificate was enough for adults too to get in and out of the country. They comment about getting a passport cuz it's easier for them...

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:40 am
My neighbors sons visa had issues. And he was kept in detention for 48 hours then sent to england.... it was a nightmare!

perquacky

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:56 pm
I know I'm late to the party, but getting into Canada is easier than getting out when you're over 16 and don't have an enhanced driver's license or a passport. I looked into it a few years ago. I hope your niece is ready to deal with the aggravation.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:05 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
She's 22. An adult. Going with a charter bus full of ppl to a simcha.

She needs a passport, passport card or enhanced drivers license.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answe.....ravel

The only exception is a group of children:

Groups of Children: A U.S. citizen children between the ages of 16-18 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with an adult supervised school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate.

If someone got in and out with just a birth certificate, then the agent was (a) really nice; and (b) probably breaking the law.

She may slip between the cracks if everyone else has the correct documentation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics