Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much did your supper cost you today
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:30 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I make a lot of one pot meals, I stretch my proteins.

Some meals that go over well and dont cost a lot are:

One pot pasta or potato gnocchi and meat sauce (I try and throw in a few of the frozen spinach balls)
Chicken Lo Mein with lots of veggies
Korean beef bowls with brown rice and different veggies like shredded carrots, cucumber, avocado, red cabbage
Beef or dairy taco bowls
Turkey zuchini burgers
Salmon Patties
Soups of all kinds
Eggplant boats with roasted chickpeas, humus, techina etc
One pot pasta with cheese, sauce veggies

None of this usually costs me more then $15

Can you PM me a recipe for Korean beef bowls?

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:38 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Do you buy it at a butcher? My husband prefers I buy only by a butcher.

same here.
payed $7.49 lb ground chicken. 1 pack costed close to $12. fed 2 adults & 4 kids who don't eat much...

Last edited by Sunny Days on Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

mandr

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:38 pm
I think people aren’t actually figuring out prices. A pepper can easily cost a dollar. I went shopping today and saved my receipt so prices I will quote are exact.

My dinner tonight was lighter than my usual because there was no protein: grilled veggie wraps and doughnuts for dessert (2 adults):

Mushrooms: 2.29
Onion: .66
Yellow pepper 1.09
Zucchini: .49
Red pepper: .91
Basil pesto dressing: 5.69
Wraps: 2.89
Doughnuts: 2.50

So when someone says their salad was $2 I don’t know what they put in there!

Plus I think it’s disgusting to eat shabbos leftovers on Wednesday. It’s so unsafe. Unless it’s leftover challah or something.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:43 pm
I live out of the tri-state area, so that means that my meat and poultry costs easily twice to 2.5 times as much. I'm jealous of all your amazingly cheap suppers! We don't eat meat during the week, usually, because of it. Same with cheese - soooo expensive.

I will say that going out to eat costs about $80 for two adults and four children. And we're not fancy, or large people.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:46 pm
2 adults, 4 children, 1 toddler - $16

1.5 lb lean ground beef @ 4.99/lb
(On sale stocked up in my freezer)

Taco kit $3-4

Vegetables: $5
1 avocado
3 Kirby
3 tomato
1/2 red onion.

Plus there is meat leftover so I’m going to use it on a small meat knish for Shabbos.

We do have good prices. I can get fresh ready to cook breaded chicken cutlets for 5.99/lb. for $10 I can easily have my main dish made.

Last edited by sky on Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:49 pm
mandr: What a terribly judgmental and incorrect thing to say! It is not DISGUSTING to eat leftovers from Shabbos on Wednesday. I remember a poll years back regarding what people do with leftover chulent. A high percentage threw it out. THAT disgusted me. I purposely make extra chulent so that I can serve the leftovers the following Friday nite. It is actually my favorite part of the meal. (I serve it as the appetizer.) Even my youngest who does not care for the chulent on Shabbos, enjoys it reheated the following Friday nite. NEWSFLASH: I have been doing this for over 20 years and no one has gotten sick yet.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:50 pm
mandr wrote:
I think people aren’t actually figuring out prices. A pepper can easily cost a dollar. I went shopping today and saved my receipt so prices I will quote are exact.

My dinner tonight was lighter than my usual because there was no protein: grilled veggie wraps and doughnuts for dessert (2 adults):

Yellow pepper 1.09

Plus I think it’s disgusting to eat shabbos leftovers on Wednesday. It’s so unsafe. Unless it’s leftover challah or something.

I do a lot of my vegetable shopping in the stores old bin. I can get red peppers for 50 cents or less. I do this for pppera, eggplant, baking fruit.

Why can’t you serve leftovers on wendsday. I follow a 5 day rule so wendsday is the last day but the food is always delicious. We rarely throw out any food.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:54 pm
mandr wrote:

Yellow pepper 1.09

We are two people so a salad for us can be two Persian cucumbers and a few cherry tomatoes chopped up- not sure that even costs $2

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
the aldi lettuce is iceberg and it has a hechsher so no need to check it, is that what you meant?
oh. Iceberg lettuce is much cheaper than romaine lettuce.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:
mandr: What a terribly judgmental and incorrect thing to say! It is not DISGUSTING to eat leftovers from Shabbos on Wednesday. I remember a poll years back regarding what people do with leftover chulent. A high percentage threw it out. THAT disgusted me. I purposely make extra chulent so that I can serve the leftovers the following Friday nite. It is actually my favorite part of the meal. (I serve it as the appetizer.) Even my youngest who does not care for the chulent on Shabbos, enjoys it reheated the following Friday nite. NEWSFLASH: I have been doing this for over 20 years and no one has gotten sick yet.

Why can't you serve the FRESH chulent Friday night? Sorry, but keeping chulent for an entire week is just beyond.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:14 pm
sky wrote:
I do a lot of my vegetable shopping in the stores old bin. I can get red peppers for 50 cents or less. I do this for pppera, eggplant, baking fruit.

Why can’t you serve leftovers on wendsday. I follow a 5 day rule so wendsday is the last day but the food is always delicious. We rarely throw out any food.

It could be 5 days is okay though it seems that 3 - 4 days is the recommended time frame for poultry & fish.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:22 pm
I think amother is joking about serving week old cholent. At least I hope she is.

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:24 pm
I would be hesitant to eat cooked meat and poultry past three days . And soup and vegetables stay good so long ?

Last edited by livinginflatbus on Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:26 pm
Bag of frozen broccoli with hechsher: $10
3 chicken breasts: about $5-7
hoisin sauce and spices and corn starch: another $3-5
this made enough for 4 adults and 2 kids.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:34 pm
I promise you I am not kidding. It is only "beyond" to people if they have never heard of someone doing it before. I don't want to serve fresh chulent. The "twice cooked" chulent has a taste different than fresh, and we all love it. I heat it up very well in a pot and as I said, we have never had any issues (and some in my family have delicate stomachs!)

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:35 pm
$4.00 for two adults and 3 kids

1lb of chopped meat/chicken mix that Seasons had a great sale on a few weeks ago - it was $1.99lb so we stocked up. I made it into hamburgers so I only added one egg plus some spices

1 bag of farfel .89
1 small can mushrooms .69
1 onion no sure how much it costs

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:42 pm
2 pckg parve hotdogs, 4.99 each
1 pckg pita 3.69
Vegetable soup from mix, 3 bags, 1.29 each
2 cans baked beans, .99 cents each

So about $20, 2 adults 5 kids

simcha2

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:44 pm
Chicken soup made with the carcass from yesterday's dinner, 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery, onion, spices ~$1

Eggplant curry. 2 eggplants, onion, chickpeas, tomatoes, can coconut milk, spices ~$8

Rice ~.50

Total about $10, give or take. But there is enough leftover soup for tomorrow and enough curry for a couple of people tomorrow.

2 adults and 2 kids (tween and teen)

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:48 pm
today: $57. Tried the newest kosher restaurant in Cleveland for the first time.

Usually: a hell of a lot less than $57.

Smile

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:57 pm
So many different suppers here...

Dh- 3 chicken drumsticks $3?
Rice pilaf - $1.89
String beans- .89

Me and 3 kids- pasta $1.49 with
Melted cheese $2 (?)

Picky eater- 2 hot dogs with buns - $3(?)

6 people/ around $10

I think that’s more less the average
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics