Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What age DS start to daven Mincha? Mariv?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:35 pm
Sooo eldest DS has a hard time davening due to ADHD. Husband isn’t usually around these times due to work. I stupidly though after bar Mitzvah he would just start davening mincha and mariv. He doesn’t. Trying not to make same mistake with next DS. Any suggestions? Both DS’s do both on Shabbos. Younger DS is 11.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:37 pm
whenever they want although they usually get serious at bar mitzvah time. It's gets easier when they start davening mincha in school and in high school maariv.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:38 pm
My son is 8 and he davens mincha on shabbos sometimes but it is totally self directed. I only encourage him to daven whatever he does in school which is parts of scharis. When it comes to mincha and marriv I would do the same. When he is the age to daven with his class he should do it out of school also.

esuss

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:35 pm
From grade 5 and up they should be davening Mincha in school. But I never pushed a son at that age to daven mincha at home. I waited until age 12 for mincha and 12.5 for maariv.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:39 pm
Please offer if you want praise and encouragement but absolutely no pressure.

Daven yourself that he will always do the right thing.

And remember that mitzvos bein Adam makom don't kick in until age 20.

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
Please offer if you want praise and encouragement but absolutely no pressure.

Daven yourself that he will always do the right thing.

And remember that mitzvos bein Adam makom don't kick in until age 20.

Actually, they kick in at 13, that's the whole point of a Bar Mitzvah. Rashi says about Sarah Imeinu that she was as free of sin at 100 as she was at 20, which could mean various things. But a child is definitely obligated in all mitzvos once they are Bar/Bas Mitzvah.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:30 pm
doctorima wrote:
Actually, they kick in at 13, that's the whole point of a Bar Mitzvah. Rashi says about Sarah Imeinu that she was as free of sin at 100 as she was at 20, which could mean various things. But a child is definitely obligated in all mitzvos once they are Bar/Bas Mitzvah.

Correct. But they are not punished for this until 20. This is very important for parents to be quietly aware of so they don't panic when they see their teenagers not davening etc.

Very important.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics