Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Is $18 too cheap for gift (Lakewood)

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 12:54 pm
Is $18 too cheap for Chanukah for my baby's sitter (a group of 4), and my toddler's playgroup Morah and assistant? I live in Lakewood.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:06 pm
It depends what you give, not how much you spend. A $100 gift can look like it's worth $5 and vice versa.

r1

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:09 pm
I think it’s nice:)

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:12 pm
I meant $18 (cash check or gift card). Not a gift worth $18.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:42 pm
I think anything is always appreciated. That said, if it were me I would probably make it $20 and give it as an Amazon gift card because personally I feel better giving a small gift card than a small amount of cash.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 3:05 pm
I give $15 checks all the time.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 3:07 pm
Assuming the $18 is a gift from you (not joint from 4 people) no, it is not cheap. It's a very nice gift.

flmommy

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 3:22 pm
What if you wrote this is a small token of my appreciation thanks for everything you do? I also think it is a perfectly respectable amount. I have seen $10 and $15!Starbucks cards given to teachers.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Assuming the $18 is a gift from you (not joint from 4 people) no, it is not cheap. It's a very nice gift.

Just from me.
Hopefully she'll get gifts from the others as well

esther36

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:40 pm
As a teacher $18 is pretty standard for Lakewood. It's considered very nice and generous and very much appreciated!!

Seas

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:56 pm
Gift cards. So you walk into a store and say: I have cash, which is accepted everywhere. What can you give me instead that is almost as good, but can only be used here, and only for the next six months?

sub

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 6:12 pm
18$ is very nice. Please don’t give a gift card to a specific store many times it becomes an עול.
Some ppl can use the cash or check (do they still exist) I like to give a general gift card like from TD Bank. Cash inside a nice card is perfectly fine.
Any amount that you can afford is appreciated
And remember most times you’re giving more than one person it adds up. We teachers definitely understand your position. After all we like to gift those who take care of our children.

Last edited by sub on Mon, Nov 19 2018, 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 6:21 pm
Seas wrote:
Gift cards. So you walk into a store and say: I have cash, which is accepted everywhere. What can you give me instead that is almost as good, but can only be used here, and only for the next six months?

I agree. I hate getting gift cards. I have a wallet full of them. I forget to use them even when they are for stores I patronize. When they are for stores I don't, then they are useless.

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 6:22 pm
flmommy wrote:
What if you wrote this is a small token of my appreciation thanks for everything you do? I also think it is a perfectly respectable amount. I have seen $10 and $15!Starbucks cards given to teachers.

Many people won't go to Starbucks anymore.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 6:58 pm
Squishy wrote:
I agree. I hate getting gift cards. I have a wallet full of them. I forget to use them even when they are for stores I patronize. When they are for stores I don't, then they are useless.
I wish I had a stack of them. Tongue Out Whenever I get one I use and enjoy it right away and feel treated. I guess if you're a teacher and getting many I can understand how it can be a pressure.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 7:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I wish I had a stack of them. Tongue Out Whenever I get one I use and enjoy it right away and feel treated. I guess if you're a teacher and getting many I can understand how it can be a pressure.

IME if the gift card is for an amount less than most items in that store cost - more often than not, the gift card ends up not being used. I once got a $40 gift card to Sparkles (costume jewelry store in Lakewood) but I knew that as soon as I walked in the door I would end up adding to the gift card which I did not want to do. Personally, I appreciate any gesture or amount but cash, checks or universal gift cards are the most appreciated.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 7:47 pm
I always give $18 gift card to babysitters either to Judaica Plaza or gift card registery (can use at a lot of stores)

I wouldn't do amazon (not all babysitters have internet) or starbucks (a lot of people don't go there).

before you get for the playgroup morah find out if someone is collecting from the whole group. usually one mother collects $10 from each mother and then gives a big check from everyone with a nice card.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:05 pm
$18 is not cheap. Most people assume you are giving to many people
When a babysitting or playgroup make a collection it’s never more then 10.

Either I would give cash or easily exchangeable gift. I like Lakewood judaica on james st because they have the most amazing return policy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics