Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
The term "breaking" shabbos

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:12 am
Spinoff from a thread where someone said they had never heard the term. I use it all the time eg "It's a pekuach nefesh situation so I must call hatzola and it's not considered to be breaking Shabbos." Or the kids might ask me "would it be breaking shabbos to do xyz?". I am BT. Am I saying something really wrong??????

someone

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:50 am
I also use that expression. Growing up (in England, if that makes a difference) everyone I know called it breaking shabbos.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:56 am
Being that you are in the UK is helpful information yes. Thank you.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:34 am
Which thread is that from?

How else would someone say it? I live in the US and hear it all the time.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:11 am
Transgressing Shabbos
Violating Shabbos
Profaning Shabbos
Being mechallel Shabbos
Chillul Shabbat

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:09 am
Breaking shabbos is totally normal vernacular. Wonder if the person who never heard it doesn't speak english as her first language.... hears it as kind of snapping shabbos in half, or shattering it into pieces, lol!

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:09 am
Breaking is probably the word I would use, too. Sounds pretty standard to my ears. I might use some of zaq's phrases too for variety except for "being machallel" because I don't like the combo verb consisting of an English conjugation of "to be" followed by a word in another language. It just sounds off to me.

Although with the particular example in the OP, "it's not considered to be breaking Shabbos" I might instead say "it's permitted (on Shabbat)" because that's quicker.

Raised in NYC, went to day schools run by people who today we'd probably place somewhere on the spectrum that runs from JPF to yeshivish (with the occassional chassid) for MO families. But I don't think we had concepts like JPF or yeshivish yet. I don't remember what I'd use to describe that back then.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:14 pm
I think my background is similar to yours and we would have said “you’re mechallel Shabbos” or more likely “you’re not allowed to do that on Shabbos” Definitely not “breaking” Shabbos, though I would have understood what it meant.

Miri7

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:27 pm
"breaking shabbat" or "being mechallel shabbat" are both common in the communities in which I've lived in the US...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette