Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
3 year old woke up with 102.5 when to go to dr?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 4:27 am
How many days would you wait? Should I go right away since it’s pretty high!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 4:32 am
You can wait 24 hours. But you can always take him in today, can't hurt.

Teomima

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 4:39 am
If they respond to Tylenol/ibuprofen and it lowers their fever, I wouldn't rush. But if there's a continuous unusually high fever for more than a day or two, or if they don't respond to medication, or are getting unusually lethargic or are dehydrated and can't keep anything in, that's when I go to the doctor (for that age. Obviously things would be different for an infant).

Harried mama

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 4:41 am
I usually wait until day 3 unless there are signs of strep or ear infection or anything else that might need early treatment. Most fever-related illnesses are viral. 102.5 isn't extremely high.

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 6:26 am
It's not about the number on the thermometer, but how the child looks. If he's acting normally, you can wait a few days, but if he just is not himself, has worsening symptoms or has other symptoms of a bacterial infection or the fever cannot be reduced, etc. then go to the doctor.

keym

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 6:41 am
The only time I go right away is 1) if the child is complaining about his ears 2) if I suspect strep 3) if the child has been coughing or a cold for a few days and then the fever came up (I would want to check for pneumonia or sinus infection) and 4) if the flu is going around AND I would want to do tamiflu if its positive for flu.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:17 pm
With measles going around aren't you afraid of that?

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:18 pm
I go right away so if need meds can get helped right away

Laiya

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:30 pm
Agree with above replies regarding looking for other indications that it's not a virus.

My pediatrician asks if the fever is accompanied by a rash, nausea or vomiting, extreme lethargy, if child is getting enough fluids, etc

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
How many days would you wait? Should I go right away since it’s pretty high!

My pediatrician said never to come in first day of fever, because strep doesn’t show up on cultures until at least 24 hours after it starts,

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 7:38 pm
So here’s the update! It’s strep!! She had 103 in the afternoon and was so super cranky, tomorrow is a short day and if she needs medicine let it start now. So took her to the dr and he was also surprised it was strep as she wasn’t acting like a kid with such high fever usually does....lethargic etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics