Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Buying a potty
Previous  1  2

madys

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 1:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
MB, if they have to sit that long, they're not ready to be trained! YOU may be ready but the child is not!

the child has to be aware of bodily sensations. sitting is nothing.

Sorry, but I have to disagree - sometimes it's the actual act of "going" that registers with the child, and with super absbent diapers, they don't get the same "going" feeling.

My son sat on the potty when he woke up (his diaper was dry, so I knew he would have to go soon) watching TV, and then inevitably, he would make, and be so proud of himself - it was just being in the right position, at the right time. If he wasn't sitting on the potty, he wouldn't have had a clue about what he was doing. Also seeing what come out of him, helps him realize what he's doing too.

Good luck Mama Bear!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 3:29 pm
madys wrote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree - sometimes it's the actual act of "going" that registers with the child

Bet you had TONS of accidents.

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 3:58 pm
Quote:
A child that small may have more accidents. We didn’t train until well past three years old, with no accidents either child, BH.

CM, you have no idea how much better you made me feel LOL

My DD is turning 3 next week, and still in diapers. She is the most resistant kid I've ever had. Absolutely refuses to go. So what am I gonna do? Force her? As if that'll get me anywhere. I figure she sees her friends in playgroup go, and one day will want to do it too. My other kids got trained about a month before their 3rd b-day. I happen to agree with you that most kids are not ready to be trained before they are almost 3. My pediatrician always said not to bother before they're 3.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 4:14 pm
cindy324 wrote:
My DD is turning 3 next week, and still in diapers. She is the most resistant kid I've ever had. Absolutely refuses to go. So what am I gonna do? Force her? As if that'll get me anywhere.

You're preachin' to the choir, Cindy! As a mom of older teens, it never pays to "force" kids to do - anything.

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 4:40 pm
Quote:
You're preachin' to the choir, Cindy! As a mom of older teens, it never pays to "force" kids to do - anything.

Yeah... I'm starting to find that out slowly...My oldest is 12 going on 32...sigh

madys

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:03 am
chocolate moose wrote:
madys wrote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree - sometimes it's the actual act of "going" that registers with the child

Bet you had TONS of accidents.

no, he was already over 3 (almost 3.5) and he was fully trained in a matter of days - he just needed to understand what his body was doing.

Every child is different, and my girls did not train this way.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:12 am
I don't like using a potty either for training my boys. I also have them use the soft seat on the toilet seat. Also I teach them to pee standing. I prefer leaving them bottomless for a few days and giving them treats when they use the toilet. So far it worked for both my boys. Both of them were 2 3/4 years old at the time and it only took a few days to fully train them. Also funny thing is that with my first he treated pull-ups like diapers but my second never peed in his pull-ups on had poop accidents. So all kids are different. Also my second was night trained right away and my frist son is still wetting his bed at 4 1/2. Kids are different and we need to be sensitive to that. I friends who tried to train to early and the kids just have tons of accidents for months. Every child is DIFFERENT.

yersp

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 11:00 am
I'm going to wait at least until chanuka time. I want to send my son first to playgroup and once he gets used to being away from me then I can potty train him. I don't want him to fall back if I train him first and then send him off. Maybe it'll be easier because he'll see the other kids going he'll want to go to. He asks me to put him on the toilet when he sees DD going.
Good Luck mama bear!!!

pink car

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 8:37 pm
I used the baby bjiorn potty and bought the baby bjiorn potty seat that fits onto a toilet seat

I started with the potty and after a few days, I gave him a choice,

he loved having to choose which one to use, and he was trained in no time...like 3 weeks from we introduced the potty until wearing u-wear outside of the house full time.

he was 32 months, btw

I read a lot of raving reviews on the baby bjiorn which made me buy it...

good luck

Esther23

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:39 pm
I bought a cute potty that makes music every time the child makes but I don't recommend it because every shabbos I couldn't touch it and my son did use it so did not turn out too great.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics