Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What would you do with $50,000?
Previous  1  2  3

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:07 am
boysrus wrote:
how old is your son? and what kind of girl is he looking for? is he in college/learning? Smile
29. Learning. You can pm for specifics if you like.

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:13 am
I'd buy a house in Hevron.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:01 am
amother wrote:
Perhaps for you. For me, it would offer me a real chance to save towards a house.

Unless one is a billionaire I think one would still bend over to pick up $50,000, and even so, don't litter.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:18 am
amother wrote:
Am I the only one thinking that $50,000 is almost nothing?

For many of us it certainly isn't a life changing sum. I still wouldn't call it nothing. I'd be delighted to have an extra $50,000 fall into my lap.

As to your question, OP.... I'm a saver. I'd put it in a bank and let it start earning me some interest.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:43 am
Well I personally would pay our student loans but doesn't seem like you have that.
So down payment.. would buy something. If it's not enough for a house for you to live in maybe you can buy something and rent it out?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:27 am
amother wrote:
Am I the only one thinking that $50,000 is almost nothing?

YEARS of tuition. Heck, decades. Some people are so spoiled.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
nor is 500,000. not for frum people at least.

500,000 would certainly be enough for both me and my dh to stop working for a good number of years. But, I don't live in the US.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:26 am
Ruchel wrote:
YEARS of tuition. Heck, decades. Some people are so spoiled.

It would cover 2 years for one son.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:33 am
amother wrote:
It would cover 2 years for one son.

Which school charges $25,000 a year??

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
Which school charges $25,000 a year??

Just about every MO high school I know.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 8:00 am
Not any of the MO schools I know... they just... wouldn't have people? Frum people don't afford this, outside of some diamond selling types or whatever. Drug lords?? 500 000 you can definitely stop working a long time unless you use or save it on something big.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 8:30 am
Ruchel wrote:
Not any of the MO schools I know... they just... wouldn't have people? Frum people don't afford this, outside of some diamond selling types or whatever. Drug lords?? 500 000 you can definitely stop working a long time unless you use or save it on something big.

Things in Europe are different. Part of the reason, as you know, is that you pay high taxes (I think the highest in the world). These come back to you in the form of school subsidies, among other things. So you pay for school, even though your money is first funnelled through the Finance Ministry. However, the op asked her question in dollars, and from her timing I guessed that she was in the US and not Australia. Which is why the discussion is about financial realities in the US.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
For many of us it certainly isn't a life changing sum. I still wouldn't call it nothing. I'd be delighted to have an extra $50,000 fall into my lap.

As to your question, OP.... I'm a saver. I'd put it in a bank and let it start earning me some interest.

Not in a bank.interest would be negligible.
Invest it.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
Not in a bank.interest would be negligible.
Invest it.

How?
Is the amount too small for any profitable investment?
Did you mean real estate?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:26 am
I would pay off cc debt. Probably dh would want to invest some of it. Just breathe for a bit.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:27 am
The school I send to isn't affiliated to the state (most schools are - not the most charedi, though that's a bit of a short summary). And actually those unaffiliated schools are often (not always) the cheapest ones... So yes, taxes help with schools, but the affiliated schools can tend to be more expensive despite this.
[unaffiliated doesn't mean you don't follow the cursus - you can do whatever you want from no chol to above level. My older daughter started physics one year early and was taught vocabulary two years above grade]

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:08 am
Ruchel wrote:
The school I send to isn't affiliated to the state (most schools are - not the most charedi, though that's a bit of a short summary). And actually those unaffiliated schools are often (not always) the cheapest ones... So yes, taxes help with schools, but the affiliated schools can tend to be more expensive despite this.
[unaffiliated doesn't mean you don't follow the cursus - you can do whatever you want from no chol to above level. My older daughter started physics one year early and was taught vocabulary two years above grade]

I don't know exactly what you mean by affiliated, but the school you send to is absolutely getting government funding- moreso than standard private schools in America would receive. Otherwise it would be impossible for the school to survive financially. Unless it's funded by a specific private source, such as a chassidus.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
How?
Is the amount too small for any profitable investment?
Did you mean real estate?

Stocks, index funds, mutual funds....

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know exactly what you mean by affiliated, but the school you send to is absolutely getting government funding- moreso than standard private schools in America would receive. Otherwise it would be impossible for the school to survive financially. Unless it's funded by a specific private source, such as a chassidus.

Affiliated/under contract have to follow the curriculum [though they clean it up and may skip reproduction etc] plus a minimum of hours must be devoted to chol even if they don't need as many. Non affiliated is free to do as they wish. One of my kids school was not even declared as a school lol. But they got lunch (glatt) covered by the town, not sure how. The schools discussed as being funded are those under contract. My husband said our school occasionally gets some money to keep in the security norms, that's it.

Many schools own their building already, or are in a community center for free. They're often in a frum area (less expensiv) if they have to pay or on contrary they go more out of town. More and more schools have a gala, and fundraise. There also are various donors around the world. Satmar donates to many French schools. Safra family etc. Some have out of the box ways like owning a non Jewish private school that makes a lot of money.

There are grants for a school that teaches early maths, or Shoah in depth, or bilingual or whatever - I don't know the details.

But most schools are under contract. Those have all chol teachers paid. It is a huge sum compared to the rest in middle and high school when there is a teacher per course.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics