Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Which school do I choose?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 7:22 pm
My daughter is four and I am being told by her Morahs that they are not sure how much she is picking up academically. They are not telling me to evaluate her special ed more like she is just a weaker mainstream student. She is also in speech therapy for poor articulation.

For next year do I choose school A which is newer school which is not specifically academic and their selling point is that they are a small warm school. The downside is their staff is generally younger and the school has less resources to deal with issues. The principal of the school is a family friend so I have an in should an issue arise. School b stresses academics more and is bigger so can’t be as warm but they are around for much longer so the staff will be more experienced and the school has more resources.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 7:25 pm
Very tough question
I would go w bigger school if u could always switch her later.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 7:33 pm
If you are located in the US, it may be worthwhile to request a full evaluation so you can more accurately diagnose areas that may need more work.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
If you are located in the US, it may be worthwhile to request a full evaluation so you can more accurately diagnose areas that may need more work.

She had an all around evaluation last year when I wanted to get her the speech therapy and the only thing that came out needing help was the speech - no scores needed further evaluation in the general Ed areas. She seems just to be a mainstream student on the weaker side.

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:48 am
That’s a tough one- what is her personality like? Is she happy on big settings or does she prefer smaller ones? For example does she like to go to birthday parties with 20 kids or is that too much for her?
My experience so far is that in the end, you as the parent have to deal with most of the issues- don’t expect what I expected, that teachers will tell you if your child has a problem, many won’t. Apparently that has nothing to do with heimische schools, my friend who sends her kids to a mixed more secular oriented Jewish school has had the same experience. Hazlacha!

mfb

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:59 am
I would go with the smaller warmer school.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:02 am
I would send her to the bigger school, hands down. They sound more experienced and have more resources to offer her.

As someone who went to a "small, warm" school I will tell you that the concept is way overrated. I was absolutely miserable in that school. I feel that my kids did much better in a large, experienced, well-run school.

animeme

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:23 am
I would check with some parents of weaker learners in the big school to see how it's going, but my instinct is big. They have more resources and training. Plus, to me the family friends is helpful if you need to switch her later, but overall, a liability. If you end up needing to advocate, it could be very awkward with a friend, and you may hesitate to push much due to the friendship.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:26 am
Ask both schools about their facilities for enrichment and resource room.

All things being equal, I'd go with the newer school. But if it doesn't have the resources to help children who need extra help, then go to the other school.

Hatzlacha.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:18 pm
I have a child who is shy and struggles a bit. She is in a big, experienced school but I can’t say they were very proactive when it came to her- a friend pointed out she might have the same like her child and that’s how we started to look into her issues more closely. It’s not said that a bigger more experienced school will necessarily be able to help your child, in the end you always have to check yourself and sit with your child and call the teachers etc. So I would look at your child’s personality and decided based on that more than anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics