Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Data on measles outbreak
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:12 am
WhatFor wrote:
I'm just curious since this is the second post on this thread claiming doctors know about more cases - are doctors not required to report how many patients they know have it? Does the DOH compile this information based on voluntary input?

SOmeone I know called her doctor that her child might have measles, what she should do. He said, I don't want to know. Keep her home.
it's too much of a hassle for them to deal with it and they can't do anything anyway.

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
The data u have is probably not correct since there were many undocumented cases. According to two doctors I spoke to there are probably over 300 cases in rockland.

And individuals who vaccinate would be likely to report a case since they utilize doctors. It's the ones who do not vaccinate who failed to report, although the cases should be accounted for at some point (I.e. when the children need to enroll or go back to school).

And for the individual who said about 5% of the ppl with measles were vaccinated .. that sounds ok with the data. 3 vaccinated individuals with one yr old is 4% with today's number (95) but could easily have been 5% when there were less overall cases last week etc.

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
SOmeone I know called her doctor that her child might have measles, what she should do. He said, I don't want to know. Keep her home.
it's too much of a hassle for them to deal with it and they can't do anything anyway.

I don't believe that. And if it is true needs to be substantiated because no one should utilize a doctor trying to cut edges like that.

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
But if they don’t go to the doctors, why and how are the doctors the ones who know about the undocumented cases?

A separate note, undocumented cases where they don’t go to the doctor are much more likely to be patients who were unvaccinated, that’s just logical. So if anything that skews the statistics even further toward proving that most cases were unvaccinated

It is probably speculation starting they assume there are more cases. I personally know of two families who had over 8 cases of measles each and did not report to a doctor (dont use one) or to doh (who they would not speak to). Doctors may be saying "we believe there are really closer to two or three hundred if we include those who refused to report," rather than saying they know. How could multiple doctors know of 200 additional confirmed cases not reported to DOH but magically all doctors know (not logical - unless it is one doctor who is ethically unsound and does not report which is also unlikely)
Accordingly, speculation makes the most sense

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:55 am
The doh went nuts and doctors don't want to deal with them. According to my doctor, they don't allow anyone who thinks they may have any measles symptoms into offices and are making home visits. I know of one case where a pregnant lady's husband was exposed and she was in her ninth month. Reguah health center found out and told her they will take her baby away from her for three weeks because her husband was exposed (even though she did not get it.) They also called the health department and told them. Husband and wife separated till after quarantined time. And wife had to hide out out of fear they will take her baby away.
Baby bh was born at home and in perfect health. Department of health kept calling making believe they were other ppl with different caller IDs and as soon as midwife picked up would transfer back to health department. They wanted all this lady's personal info which is against HIPPA laws. They had to get a lawyer to protect her.

Out health department is crazy. no wonder doctors aren't interested in dealing with them

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
The doh went nuts and doctors don't want to deal with them. According to my doctor, they don't allow anyone who thinks they may have any measles symptoms into offices and are making home visits. I know of one case where a pregnant lady's husband was exposed and she was in her ninth month. Reguah health center found out and told her they will take her baby away from her for three weeks because her husband was exposed (even though she did not get it.) They also called the health department and told them. Husband and wife separated till after quarantined time. And wife had to hide out out of fear they will take her baby away.
Baby bh was born at home and in perfect health. Department of health kept calling making believe they were other ppl with different caller IDs and as soon as midwife picked up would transfer back to health department. They wanted all this lady's personal info which is against HIPPA laws. They had to get a lawyer to protect her.

Out health department is crazy. no wonder doctors aren't interested in dealing with them

Why wasn't the husband given immuneglobin? Why not the mother or the infant later on? Why would the family separate prior to the birth if the mother was immune? Also, a health dept cannot take a child away at birth. There would also need to be a hearing (probably wouldn't get to that point). In the US (not the same in other counntries) we are very lax about parenta and their parenting choices and it's very difficult to remove a child from the home). If the story about calls is true, the health dept is in violation of many laws and should be fined (I do believe Refuah is capable of this though and should be reported). Whoever told you this story is ignorant of our legal and health system and very creative.

Last edited by nchr on Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:10 am
nchr wrote:
Why wasn't the husband given immuneglobin? Why not the mother or the infant later on? Why would the family separate prior to the birth if the mother was immune? Also, a health dept cannot take a child away at birth. There would also need to be a hearing (probably wouldn't get to that point). In the US (not the same in other counntries) we are very lax about parenta and their parenting choices and it's very difficult to remove a child from the home). If the story about calls is true, the health dept is in violation of many laws and should be fined. Whoever told you this story is ignorant of our legal and health system and very creative.

It is a true story. I heard it from one of the ppl involved. They hired an attorney since the health department was in violation of many laws and they are still in litigation with them. The husband and wife separated since they were scared that even if the wife was immunized the baby won't be and they didn't want the baby possibly getting it. The health department can't legally take the baby away but refuah health center, curse that place, and their owners decided it was their responsibility to report it and the owner said she will make sure the baby is separated from the mother when it is born just in case.

This is not the first thing I have heard about refuah as well as a few stories of my own, I personally feel that they should be shut down.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:12 am
nchr wrote:
Why wasn't the husband given immuneglobin? Why not the mother or the infant later on? Why would the family separate prior to the birth if the mother was immune? Also, a health dept cannot take a child away at birth. There would also need to be a hearing (probably wouldn't get to that point). In the US (not the same in other counntries) we are very lax about parenta and their parenting choices and it's very difficult to remove a child from the home). If the story about calls is true, the health dept is in violation of many laws and should be fined (I do believe Refuah is capable of this though and should be reported). Whoever told you this story is ignorant of our legal and health system and very creative.

welcome to the craziness that happens when a mild childhood disease becomes a fatal dangerous disease due to the invention of a vaccine for it. welcome to the overreaching of the doh in jewish communities. welcome

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:13 am
Ok I believe Refuah engaged in such behavior (as I changed my post to say prior to reading your response). In addition, I personally spoke to health dept contact, who I talk to regularly for work, who expressed frustration with not being able to get some ppl to agree to use immune globulin who had infants and just said but everyone is entitled to their choice.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:13 am
refuah is fully funded by all kinds of grants and thus they need to prove their worth. they are cozying up with the doh against any normalcy or sanity.

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
refuah is fully funded by all kinds of grants and thus they need to prove their worth. they are cozying up with the doh against any normalcy or sanity.

This is inaccurate because DOH and the state would not encourage or engage in such behavior. It's more likely office staff inexperience.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:

If I had a friend who told me that, I would recommend they speak to the local Board of Medicine about it.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
welcome to the craziness that happens when a mild childhood disease becomes a fatal dangerous disease due to the invention of a vaccine for it. welcome to the overreaching of the doh in jewish communities. welcome

Measles killed many people, as well as left others with permanent impairments, before there was a vaccine.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics