Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Tv on shabbes on timer
Previous  1  2  3

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 8:05 pm
as far as dryers are concerned, if the clothing were wet when shabbos came in to the extent that you could transfer the 'wet' by touching it, then I believe they are considered muktza even when dry.
I could be wrong, but I think that was the answer I found when looking it up once to do with clothing on the line that I didn't manage to take off before shabbos

cindy324

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 8:33 pm
Quote:
Boredom: what do you do when
- you have a baby and would rather not do like the other women in the community who push the carriage (except one actually, I discovered her recently because she can never go to shul!)
- most friends live far
- people in the community do not invite each other, and you're the only young mom/wife anyway
- there is nothing at shul after the prayers

You're stuck with books and sleeping. Younger people play board games, domino, but honestly.... yeah lol

Is TV the only form of entertainment that would save you from boredom on shabbos? I don't understand the dilemma here Confused

Most people in my neighborhood don't own a tv at all, yet they seem to get along just fine. I do own a tv, just like many others I know, and this whole "tv on shabbos" issue has never been raised. And no, my community didn't always have an eruv, it's pretty recent , and many don't even hold from the eruv, but we all seem to manage just fine reading, relaxing, spending time with our families.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 8:56 pm
Quote:
Most people in my neighborhood don't own a tv at all, yet they seem to get along just fine.

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

many, MANY orthodox jews don't own a TV,

they must be terribly bored Wink

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 9:01 pm
I assume most ppl are tired on Friday nights, but if they aren't, there are sholom zochors and shiurim to go to. ...

When I wake up Shabbos morning, I put the food on the plata, tidy the kitchen and set the table for the seuda.

I go to shul early to put the soda in the fridge and freezer and put aside the paper goods for the Kiddush. I do the whole davening...I set up for the kiddush, eat and hear the speakers, then dash home for our own Seudah.

I set up and serve our seuda, then I'm plenty tired to sleep for a few hours. In the summer, I have a shiur. In the winter, I hope to wake up before shkiyah!

If someone has time, there's an amazing amount of chessed to be perfomred - people in the hospital who need to be fed and visited, mommies who could use a babysitter, etc.

Who can be bored?

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 9:27 pm
Quote:
Who can be bored?
chocolate that all sounds fantastic, except for one thing........

Most of what you described isn't practical for mothers with babies who don't have or use an eruv

inviting guests, can keep you busy Ruchel.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 6:17 am
cindy324 wrote:
Quote:
Boredom: what do you do when
- you have a baby and would rather not do like the other women in the community who push the carriage (except one actually, I discovered her recently because she can never go to shul!)
- most friends live far
- people in the community do not invite each other, and you're the only young mom/wife anyway
- there is nothing at shul after the prayers

You're stuck with books and sleeping. Younger people play board games, domino, but honestly.... yeah lol

Is TV the only form of entertainment that would save you from boredom on shabbos? I don't understand the dilemma here Confused

Most people in my neighborhood don't own a tv at all, yet they seem to get along just fine. I do own a tv, just like many others I know, and this whole "tv on shabbos" issue has never been raised. And no, my community didn't always have an eruv, it's pretty recent , and many don't even hold from the eruv, but we all seem to manage just fine reading, relaxing, spending time with our families.

I think Ruchel is saying that if she did not read secular books on shabbos, she would get very bored.

But yes, shabbos is a great time to invite people over. (especially if you will be stopping them from watching tv!)

I have lots of guests every shabbos and there is still plenty of time for me to get bored.

Quote:
If someone has time, there's an amazing amount of chessed to be perfomred - people in the hospital who need to be fed and visited, mommies who could use a babysitter, etc.

Who can be bored?

Well sure, all of these things are incredibly difficult to do with a small baby in the house. Sometimes I think you are forgetting what website you are posting on.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 9:07 am
cm:

Well… what about no sholom zochor and shiur, if there is a kiddush it’s tiny and quick, no speaker, not wanting to drive to the hospital, and so on ?

I have thought of guests, but there are no people “like us” close enough to come. Either teens, or “young families” who are in fact 30/35 lol

shoy18

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 9:50 am
Ruchel wrote:
cm:

Well… what about no sholom zochor and shiur, if there is a kiddush it’s tiny and quick, no speaker, not wanting to drive to the hospital, and so on ?

I have thought of guests, but there are no people “like us” close enough to come. Either teens, or “young families” who are in fact 30/35 lol

I know how you feel, Im cooped up at home with no erev, sometimes I walk my ds to shul but if its not the right weather you cant go anywhere. I usually read and nap while dh isnt home.

Ever thought of moving to a younger community?

Purplehair

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:10 am
shalhevet wrote:
greenfire wrote:
well don't forget a dryer has a light ... can't open the door or light will turn on ...

Not on my model...

Nor on either of the two models I've owned.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:17 am
shoy18 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
cm:

I know how you feel, Im cooped up at home with no erev, sometimes I walk my ds to shul but if its not the right weather you cant go anywhere. I usually read and nap while dh isnt home.

Ever thought of moving to a younger community?

In fact we would need a community with a good number of young parents under 30, which means a not Mo community... we have looked into bigger communities around, but the problem is just the same. More teens, more middle ages parents, more everything, but not what we look for (not to mention here it's too expensive for most young couples)...

A not Mo community would also solve the problem of being the frummest/only hair coverer around... we have spotted ONE community who seems nice, and some parts of the city even have an eruv!
Another good point, it's much closer to Paris AND much less expensive, we would have something really nice there. And the Jewish high school is frum and in the French top 20 of good results! shock

But we're lazy and during the week we don't care too much about driving to buy meat and so on. We will probably have moved before dd starts primary school, as we're not driving every morning to Paris or sending her to a school where she'll be the frummie.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:44 am
My life is my life, no one else's. So I will t ink outside the bos for suggestions.........

Ruchel, you might enjoy an older family's company. Just b/c they aren't 100% like you doesn't mean they aren't interesting.

Board games are good....you can get Jewish books from the library...

What about going away for Shabbos...

What about hiring a mother's helper to allow the mother to get out a little.....

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:58 am
Quote:

Ruchel, you might enjoy an older family's company. Just b/c they aren't 100% like you doesn't mean they aren't interesting.

Although we wouldn't have many common points, I already know some of them dislike me because I'm too young and too frum. I have make moves to get to know people, so yeah... after 12 years in this town I know I'm already better off with the teens. B'h at least the men accept my husband.

Quote:
Board games are good....you can get Jewish books from the library...

Yeah, reading and board games are the solution, but after some time I get bored...

Quote:
What about going away for Shabbos...

I think it's even worse in a hotel... what if the cleaning lady turns off the lights, what if there is an electronic key, what about the food... and the pushing problem is the same.

Quote:
What about hiring a mother's helper to allow the mother to get out a little.....

I can leave dd with my parents, sometimes I do if the weather is nice and I take a walk with dh or something, but I suppose the only solution is moving.

hadassah

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 6:36 pm
Shabbes without an Eruv and with small children can be a nightmare, especially in the winter...but then at least shabbes is shorter.

Here in Eretz Yisrael it's not that hard...but as for what to do on Shabbes, it's the only day of the week that a couple can be together, with baby of course...but talk...reading is nice...sleeping...playing with baby in the house...wait, she will get older Ruchel and you will have a lot more to do with her...

It's a day to chill out...to do nothing...I read the friday newspapers which I don't get to on Friday, and I definitely read secular books...but as for even thinking about a TV on a timer...no way, it's not shabbosdik...the problem is that its not shabbosdik for me because I was brought up that way. It's so cultural. People who were brought up doing it find it totally normal...in Galut it's much less of a problem, here it's a halachic problem because it's not being run by Gentiles and so if you would have TV on a timer you would be enjoying another Jew's hillul shabbat...of course during a war it's another thing, it's pikuach nefesh. I remember last year during the war there was a siren on Friday nite where I was and we had to go into the safe room where there was a tv and instinctively I turned it on to hear if we were going to be given instructions as to how long to stay in and if it was a country wide attack...and as the tv stayed on all shabbes it was the first time that I saw "Israeli shabbes tv"...I had never heard of some of the programs even and we watch tv on weekdays...but what could I do in the tiny little room with the tv on across from me? Turn my back to it? So I sat and watched until it was ok to go out of the room and then it just stayed on all shabbes and I wasn't even tempted to go in and see what was going on...but again, it's all what you are used to...

Save up good books for shabbes...and save up good stories to tell your husband and him for you... some kind of "shabbes treat" like people would save the best food or fruit they had during the week for shabbes, as some still do...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions