Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
My DS is three and doesn't seem anywhere close to ready
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 1:55 am
My DS is 3 and two months and still doesn't realize when he is about to make or no how to make himself make when on the toilet. I tried just putting him in underwear a few months ago, but all that got me was three accidents in an hour.

Any thoughts?

GAMZu

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 8:20 am
Keep him in underwear. He'll learn what the feeling is before he becomes wet. He'll learn to recognize it.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 9:08 am
train him and he will be ready ... accidents are simply a part of the process

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 10:44 am
does he go to playgroup? the morahs there can help a lot.

shlumzmum

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 11:06 am
3 accidents an hour is normal in the begining. they learn from accidents.

try letting him walk around in the house with no underwear, just make sure its warm enough in the house

nicole81

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 11:09 am
do you think that kids just say hey look underwear, now I'll only use the potty from now on??!! accidents are totally normal and expected.

you can try waiting longer until he shows some initiative of his own, but that may take a long time. if you train him yourself though, and keep him in underwear, the accidents will eventually stop.

what I did was started with just an hour or 2 a day bottomless/naked just to get the child used to the potty. from there we moved on to longer periods of bottomless time, and then to underwear. it was a long process.

shlumzmum

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 11:16 am
Quote:
what I did was started with just an hour or 2 a day bottomless/naked just to get the child used to the potty. from there we moved on to longer periods of bottomless time, and then to underwear. it was a long process.

this is exactly what we made. the first few days we did it for an hour and ds only had accidents, but slowly he started having less accidents an we added some more time until we started with underwear (again accidents cuz he thought it was a pamper)

it took a long time to train him but eventually he got there

they all get there, by some it takes more time and patience (patience is important)

oh and promisse him some prizes. stickers or candy...it really works

good luck

sister

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 12:54 pm
Dont worry my son was 3.5 when he was FINALLY trained LOL

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 1:31 pm
my kids were both way over 3 also.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 1:45 pm
also ... you must take them on a schedule ... not wait for him to ask ... when you wake, after breakfast, before you leave the house, before naptime, when you come back home, before dinner after dinner, before bedtime ... once he gets used to knowing that you go a lot - he will also then get used to actually going by himself or letting you know when he needs to ...

gryp

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 2:16 pm
Seriously, the first day or two of training, I take them every 10-20 minutes, and reward them each time. No underwear until they get the hang of it and know how to tell you that they gotta go.

Is he an oldest, OP? Oldests usually have it hardest figuring out what's happening.

Mommastuff

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 2:23 pm
GR wrote:
Seriously, the first day or two of training, I take them every 10-20 minutes, and reward them each time. No underwear until they get the hang of it and know how to tell you that they gotta go.

Is he an oldest, OP? Oldests usually have it hardest figuring out what's happening.

for my oldest, I bought the potty months in advance to get used to it. She followed me in the bathroom each time that I went so she know what to do. Maybe I'm lucky (though she's not trained yet, B'AH) but she figured it out. first she sat on with her clothes & diaper on, then without the diaper and just sat there, and finally she went, just recently, #2. I haven't used prizes yet but I make such a song & dance for her! We call her father, her grand parents... so she's so proud!

So is now when I get underpants?

Tefila

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 6:15 pm
[quote]does he go to playgroup? the morahs there can help a lot [quote]
I agree Exclamation

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 10:34 am
Mommastuff wrote:
GR wrote:

for my oldest, I bought the potty months in advance to get used to it. She followed me in the bathroom each time that I went so she know what to do. Maybe I'm lucky (though she's not trained yet, B'AH) but she figured it out. first she sat on with her clothes & diaper on, then without the diaper and just sat there, and finally she went, just recently, #2. I haven't used prizes yet but I make such a song & dance for her! We call her father, her grand parents... so she's so proud!

Does she go only when you tell her to or she tells you when she has to go? I think it's time for underwear once they have told you a few times that they have to go, and it's because they really have to, not because they want a reward, or in your case, praise, for it.

Btw, I figured out how to transition from nothing to underwear- I would snap the onesie around my kids' bare bottoms and that way they would get a feel of cloth material tight around them like underwear. Once they get used to that feeling they won't have accidents in their underwear.

Mommastuff

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 2:03 pm
GR wrote:
Mommastuff wrote:
GR wrote:

Does she go only when you tell her to or she tells you when she has to go? I think it's time for underwear once they have told you a few times that they have to go, and it's because they really have to, not because they want a reward, or in your case, praise, for it.

Btw, I figured out how to transition from nothing to underwear- I would snap the onesie around my kids' bare bottoms and that way they would get a feel of cloth material tight around them like underwear. Once they get used to that feeling they won't have accidents in their underwear.

I like the onsies idea, maybe I'll try that first before underwear. I can't devote a whole week to my dd so I'm taking slowly (or fast if she learns right away). Right now she sometimes tells me, sometimes I have to ask and she goes & other she tells me after she went in her diaper (and of course, sometimes I just smell it!)

I'm still not liking the prospect of having to clean poop out of underwear or do a wash of them everyday. I don't know how people do the cloth diaper thing, but I would like to be more environmentally conscious. My kids go thru so many diapers.

Question: if your kid says that they have to go to the potty and the diaper has only a drop in there from before, do you guys put the almost emptydiaper back on after or put on a new diaper? I guess that if there's a drop in it, I can't put her in underwear yet.

Atali

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 8:45 pm
Quote:

But then wouldn't you have to pull a very yucky onesie over their head if they had an accident?

GAMZu

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 8:57 pm
Atali wrote:
Quote:

But then wouldn't you have to pull a very yucky onesie over their head if they had an accident?
No, you pull it down the legs.

Mommastuff

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 9:58 pm
Quote:

LOL, I was think thinking the same thing!

Quote:
No, you pull it down the legs.

it won't stretch out the neck?

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 10:20 pm
I guess I pulled it down the legs like Gamzu wrote because I can't remember what I did. Confused And I definitely would not pull it up over the head. Puke
Maybe the neck did get stretched out. We go through them pretty fast anyway because they always get stained.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 10:30 pm
I think every kid is different. For DS#1 I started a month before upshernish. He took to it instantly and as soon as I put on underwear new what to do. He never had any accidents and was just a pro. WIth DD#2 it was IMPOSSIBLE. I started training at 2.6 since people say girls are faster. It was a big mistake. She wasn't ready and it took her 2 months to finally stop having accidents. Now I am up to DS#2. He is 2.6 and a bright kid. He talks in full sentences and understands everything. I keep trying to train him but he tells me, "MOmmy I want my diaper." I have decided to wait a little longer and not push it. I think he's simply not ready. I usually use the upsherin as the cut off date since I want him to wear tzisis. I hope he does it by then but who knows it's not looking promising. I don't believe in rewards or pullups. When a kid is ready the are ready and pushing them won't do any good. They have to want to do it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training