Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Gift for hosting bar mitzvah guests

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:00 pm
We have anumber of frineds who are being so generous and opening their homes to our out of town guests for Shabbat. Of course we want to give them something as a thank you. We have a great local candy store and was thinking of making a gift basket, but then I thought what about a nice bottle of wine and a gift card to that candy store so they can pick out what they would enjoy...
advice- suggestions?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
We have anumber of frineds who are being so generous and opening their homes to our out of town guests for Shabbat. Of course we want to give them something as a thank you. We have a great local candy store and was thinking of making a gift basket, but then I thought what about a nice bottle of wine and a gift card to that candy store so they can pick out what they would enjoy...
advice- suggestions?

No gift card. Wine and Candy sounds lovely.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
No gift card. Wine and Candy sounds lovely.

Too tacky- right?- looks like we did not put effort into it?

simcha2

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:09 pm
I agree with above.

If you want other ideas we have been gifted the following for hosting,

Havdala set
Customized hand washing towels
Serving pieces of various descriptions
Customized challah board
Tea set (fancy teas with strainer etc.)
Wall hangings (an al hamichya, eishes chayil etc)

Also, wine, liqueur, candy, pastries etc.

All were appreciated.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
Too tacky- right?- looks like we did not put effort into it?

Its not a gift if I need to take myself to the store to redeem the gift (yes that was extra harsh, its a gift + errand). Candy is nice because its a special snack also for the guest.

Effort isn't the issue. You call the store and say - I need a nice hostess gift, my budget is X - what you suggest, oh that sounds beautiful, I'll take 5 - when will they be ready.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:39 pm
Don't all these things get a bit pricey especially if you need to send to a few people? I think a platter or a bottle of wine (not both) or I would go to a store like amazing savings or closeout out connections and buy a nice Judaica item (washing cup, hadlakas neiros) or a salad bowl or set of dip bowls.

I host neighbors' guests for simchas over Shabbos all the time ( I have 1 room so it's 2 beds and a bathroom so it's not too much) and don't expect anything and if they would give any of the above, it would be very nice. My friends who are older and finding it too hard started renting out their basement ( so they can pay the cleaning lady extra to do the set up and clean up) or just refusing.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:49 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I agree with above.

If you want other ideas we have been gifted the following for hosting,

Havdala set
Customized hand washing towels
Serving pieces of various descriptions
Customized challah board
Tea set (fancy teas with strainer etc.)
Wall hangings (an al hamichya, eishes chayil etc)

Also, wine, liqueur, candy, pastries etc.

All were appreciated.

While you appreciated them, I'd recommend against giving anyone except a very close friend, who has asked your design assistance before, any wall hanging or decor. Most people don't want to feel obligated to display whatever you choose. (Insert funny story about a former colleague -- a secular Jew -- who took in 2 foster children. One of their visitors decided to gift him with a framed portrait of Je-zus. Which he felt obligated to pull out of the back of his closet and display whenever they visited. "Oh, no, they're coming this weekend! Gotta pull Je-zus out!" was an occasional lament.)

Then again, I wouldn't mind a gift certificate to a local store.

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:53 pm
amother wrote:
Its not a gift if I need to take myself to the store to redeem the gift (yes that was extra harsh, its a gift + errand). Candy is nice because its a special snack also for the guest.

Effort isn't the issue. You call the store and say - I need a nice hostess gift, my budget is X - what you suggest, oh that sounds beautiful, I'll take 5 - when will they be ready.

I have been vocal on here against gift cards because you give someone a job. Worse is a gift card to a store you have no interest in shopping in. I have a bunch of gift cards that I forget about using even when they are to a store I patronize like Walmart. I ended up giving them away.

There are over one billion in gift cards not used annually.

https://www.marketwatch.com/st.....12-30

I vote for candy rather than wine. Wine drinkers like a certain type.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 5:56 pm
Squishy wrote:
I have been vocal on here against gift cards because you give someone a job. Worse is a gift card to a store you have no interest in shopping in. I have a bunch of gift cards that I forget about using even when they are to a store I patronize like Walmart. I ended up giving them away.

we agree!

cm

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:06 pm
Something edible (by most people - you can't please everyone) or flowers would be best.

I don't like receiving housewares/artwork/Judaica as gifts. The items are rarely to my taste and end up as clutter.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:10 pm
Squishy wrote:

You realize that most gift cards these days can be used online? Gift cards mean that I can buy what I want without clutter adding to my house. I agree that a Gift Card that can only be used in a Bricks and Mortar shop can be more effort but IMHO a card you can use online is great.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:18 pm
We gave a cookbook once and it was greatly appreciated. Last simcha was Chanukah time and we gave a lucite dreidel with Chanukah brochos on it. They were really nice. Waterdale collection has gorgeous stuff.

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
You realize that most gift cards these days can be used online? Gift cards mean that I can buy what I want without clutter adding to my house. I agree that a Gift Card that can only be used in a Bricks and Mortar shop can be more effort but IMHO a card you can use online is great.

I do realize they can be used on line. I have no interest in tailoring my purchases to the amount on the card or being forced to shop in the store even on line. It is as meaningful to me as coupons or in store bucks.

Obviously, many people feel the way I do because a billion in wasted unused gift cards yearly is a huge amount of money.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:09 pm
Squishy wrote:
I do realize they can be used on line. I have no interest in tailoring my purchases to the amount on the card or being forced to shop in the store even on line. It is as meaningful to me as coupons or in store bucks.

Obviously, many people feel the way I do because a billion in wasted unused gift cards yearly is a huge amount of money.

I hear you- the reaons I thought of the gift card is that all I know all of these hosts shop at this opne store weekly, but from what everyone is saying I will do the choosing : )
Thanks!!!

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:
I hear you- the reaons I thought of the gift card is that all I know all of these hosts shop at this opne store weekly, but from what everyone is saying I will do the choosing : )
Thanks!!!

So they staff at the store would know what they like, no?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics