Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Roasting frozen broccoli

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:35 pm
Does anyone have any tips to share? I either end up with chewy burned broccoli or mushy soft broccoli.
I toss it with olive oil and spices, spread on a baking sheet and roast at 425 for 30 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:36 pm
Same here... I only use frozen broccoli in stir fry now

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:38 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
Does anyone have any tips to share? I either end up with chewy burned broccoli or mushy soft broccoli.
I toss it with olive oil and spices, spread on a baking sheet and roast at 425 for 30 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

Do you like it steam-like, like the way it's cooked before it's added to a restaurant stir fry?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:41 pm
Season with garlic powder, onion powder and salt. put in the oven on 350 for about 45 min and it tastes good...

LittleMissMama

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:47 pm
It's never going to be crispy but I let it defrost and then soak up the extra water with a paper towel. Then I spray with oil and season and roast at a high temp on a real baking tin. Disposable doesn't work as well for roasting. 450 degrees for less time is better than a lower temp. Remember, the broccoli is already cooked (then was frozen)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:55 pm
ttbtbm wrote:

Some notes:
If you're using Pardes, you'll never get it right because they overcook instead of blanche their broccoli before freezing and packaging it.
450 for 35 minutes results in perfect roasted broccoli with charred edges. If you don't like the burned taste then 400 for 25 minutes is perfect for bright green and cooked through. But either way, you have to start off with frozen broccoli, do not defrost first.

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 6:57 pm
Thanks for all the advice! I didn’t know the broccoli is cooked before it’s frozen. I’ll raise the temp and see what happens. Thanks again!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:04 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! I didn’t know the broccoli is cooked before it’s frozen. I’ll raise the temp and see what happens. Thanks again!

You said you don't like it burnt so maybe you should lower your temp instead to 400.

Btw 450 will look like this so if you don't like it with the crisp edges, don't higher the temperature.
http://overtimecook.com/2014/1.....coli/

Make sure to spread out the broccoli in one layer on a cookie sheet so they're spread out and get evenly heated. A smaller pan or a pan with higher edges will not give you the same results.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:20 pm
I run some water over it in a strainer to get it partly defrosted and then squeeze out as much water as I can. Then proceed with roasting as usual

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:47 pm
Maybe it’s the pan? Mine are not the greatest quality and a bit warped.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 7:48 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:
It's never going to be crispy but I let it defrost and then soak up the extra water with a paper towel. Then I spray with oil and season and roast at a high temp on a real baking tin. Disposable doesn't work as well for roasting. 450 degrees for less time is better than a lower temp. Remember, the broccoli is already cooked (then was frozen)

That’s not true, mine does come out crispy. I don’t defrost, I put it in frozen with olive oil and spices, and leave it in oven for a long time. Uncovering it lets it get crispy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking