Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Looking for good/funny/interesting story for my students
1  2  Next

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:34 pm
I will be substituting next week 9th grade and need something interesting or funny to read to them or hand out after a test. Can u help???

SmileNow

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:51 pm
Hebrew or chol studies?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:00 pm
Depending on the girls type, they may have never heard the story of The Adopted Princess (The Shach's daughter). I've told it over in many different classrooms and all the girls love it.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:16 am
SmileNow94 wrote:
Hebrew or chol studies?
not Hebrew. English literature and history

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
Depending on the girls type, they may have never heard the story of The Adopted Princess (The Shach's daughter). I've told it over in many different classrooms and all the girls love it.

Where can I find this story?
Any other ideas? They are not such deep thinkers, 7th 8th grade level

simcha2

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:25 am
What about Examination Day by Henry Seslar. Not funny at all, but definitely thought provoking.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:37 am
Maybe something by SAKI. I always enjoyed his stories in high school.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:46 am
simcha2 wrote:
What about Examination Day by Henry Seslar. Not funny at all, but definitely thought provoking.

I googled the little story and just finished reading it. I’m too tired to think, but could not understand the story. Why did he fail the test? Why such a death punishment?

cbsp

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:53 am
I second Saki.
What about O'Henry?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 6:46 am
The Adopted Princess is by Marcus Lehman. He has many short stories. I can’t get enough of them. Make sure they are good translations on a high level that keeps his beauty of language.
That one is by Feldheim, it is called "Faith and Courage".

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 8:37 am
The full story is here.

https://www.ou.org/life/histor.....ach1/

mrsjay

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 9:55 am
Just read the story thanks for posting it ...really incredible.

sub

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 10:16 am
If you go to krazydad.com there are sudokos and puzzles free to print. Since girls finish tests at different rate I like to have a stack for them to work on quietly

simcha2

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
I googled the little story and just finished reading it. I’m too tired to think, but could not understand the story. Why did he fail the test? Why such a death punishment?

He failed because he was too smart. The government wanted to keep the people ignorant to remain in power.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:26 pm
simcha2 wrote:
He failed because he was too smart. The government wanted to keep the people ignorant to remain in power.

yeah... I figured so.. thanks

perquacky

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:14 pm
My daughter's 8th-grade class just read "The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant. Not funny, but it makes you think. You could engage the girls in an interesting conversation when it's over.
http://www.eastoftheweb.com/sh.....shtml

"The Gift of the Magi" is a great story by O.Henry. Again, not funny. O.Henry's forte was irony. But a very well-known, wonderful story.
https://americanenglish.state......0.pdf

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:32 pm
Dina neumans teen stories published in the aim magazine are sometimes really good. would love to get copies of the first few issues from years ago so the girls who read the magazine wouldnt remember the story. how can I get them?

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
Dina neumans teen stories published in the aim magazine are sometimes really good. would love to get copies of the first few issues from years ago so the girls who read the magazine wouldnt remember the story. how can I get them?

She has an anthology of short stories. Were they from Ami? A lot of the girls may have read the book.

all is good

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:02 pm
Stolen Day is a great short story, as is Miss Awful, Charles, Ransom of the red chief by o'henry... I believe u can find them all online. (I teach 7th & 8th 😉)

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:18 pm
Try the anthology Just An Ordinary Day by Shirley Jackson. Lots of good short stories.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children