Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Wheat challah makes me sick! Alternatives?

thegiver

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:58 pm
Any healthy recipes appreciated. Nothing with a lot of egg or oil or sugar. (Less than a cup is ok although I usually omit sugar altogether).

Rachel8177

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:54 pm
You can make your favorite wheat challah recipe but substitute the wheat flour with half kamut flour and half white spelt. Delicious!

Just make sure that the spelt flour should not be the organic one ,as the organic white spelt seems to have more of crumbling texture.

FYI I do this with all of my favorite recipes,and no one ever notices a difference.

lovetobemommy

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:04 pm
Every recipe that calls for wheat flour I replace with Isaac's wonder mill white spelt flour but use a bit less for example if it says 3 cups flour I will use just 2 and a half, results are just the same and my stomach is very happy

mammale

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:05 pm
I don't have any recipes to share. Will be following!
Just want to point out, that if you are going to mix in flours that are not from the 5 grains, you should ask a shailo as to what brocho to say on the bread.

rgr

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:10 pm
Try sourdough

4pom

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:29 pm
Rachel8177 wrote:
You can make your favorite wheat challah recipe but substitute the wheat flour with half kamut flour and half white spelt. Delicious!

Just make sure that the spelt flour should not be the organic one ,as the organic white spelt seems to have more of crumbling texture.

FYI I do this with all of my favorite recipes,and no one ever notices a difference.

Not OP but grateful for this info.
Where do you get kamut?
And can you use pure kamut flour ?

Surrendered

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:02 pm
I make delicious Spelt Challah.
Actually, I've gotten more compliments on the spelt challah than on the regular one. I do my regular recipe but substitute regular flour for spelt, and sugar for honey!

Recipe:
4 Tablespoons dry yeast
(dissolved in 2 cups lukewarm water, add 1 tsp. sugar- for rising)
4 cups lukewarm water
4 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup honey
4-5 teaspoons salt
6 Lb. White spelt flour

Let rise, braid, brush with egg, sprinkle with challah topping mix.
Tip: instead of letting the braided dough rise again, place in oven on 200° for 10-15 minutes, than turn up oven to 350° for 1/2 hour.
Rewarm from freezer before shabbos, place in oven 10 minutes on 350°, it will be crispy from outside and soft delicious inside. Hatzlacha

Gneshe

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:21 pm
Try Ezekiel bread and english muffins. They are made of sprouted grains, make a complete protien and very healthy. Available in the frozen section of your local supermarket.

lkwdlady

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:48 pm
I didn’t try this recipe yet but I saw this recipe posted online. If this comes out good I will be very excited!
This recipe will yield 4 rolls.
No yeast! No sugar! No oil!
I would sprinkle “everything bagel spice” on top of each roll.

1 cup flour
1 cup silken tofu ( drain off the water)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt- less if you are using regular salt

Preheat oven to 375F.

1-In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the tofu and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.

2-Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).

3-Divide into 4 equal balls. Twist to make a roll or form any shape

4-Top with egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice.

5- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes

Last edited by lkwdlady on Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rachel8177

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:09 pm
4pom wrote:
Not OP but grateful for this info.
Where do you get kamut?
And can you use pure kamut flour ?

I actually received this tip from one of the owners from Grain Brain company. I know that all Supermarkets in NY area sell them.

strawberry cola

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:26 pm
surrendered, when you say dissolve the yeast in 2 cups lukewarm water, do you mean 2 of the 4 cups, or an additional 2 cups, for a total of 6 cups of water?

Cheshire cat

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:30 pm
I do kamut challah, has half cup of sugar. I got the recipe from the Monsey view, and it's fluffy yet substantial-really special. Also,dough is very nice to work with. I use all purpose organic kamut flour by grainbrain.
Let me know if I should post recipe

Surrendered

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:35 pm
strawberry cola wrote:
surrendered, when you say dissolve the yeast in 2 cups lukewarm water, do you mean 2 of the 4 cups, or an additional 2 cups, for a total of 6 cups of water?

5-6 cups water in total.

hannabanana

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:48 pm
Me too. I used to get full blown colds till we figured out it’s from wheat. Only ate it in Shabbos as I was in a diet. Now I make from 5 grains white whole wheat flour
Or I just eat matzah...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics