Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Delete
1  2  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 4:35 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 4:36 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Since I got married, I have times where I intensely feel the lack of textual learning in my life. I don't have any time or opportunity for textual learning. As much as I am consumed by my responsibilities, I feel like that part of me has not been stimulated in a long time. Even listening to a shiur doesn't help at all, since most of them are very fluffy. They remind me of my education classes in college. Surprisingly (to me), three different posters have expressed the same feeling to me in the last few weeks.

I was kind of joking about the forum idea (well, not, but I doubt it would ever happen). So I'll make this thread instead. How many of you chafe at the inability to find intellectual stimulation in Yiddishkeit, which leads to a feeling of lacking spirituality?

Yes!!! I am searching desperately for a chavrusah to help me learn this sefer I got, and I CANNOT FIND ANYONE.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 4:38 pm
If you live in Brooklyn, there's an amazing, high-level, women's learning program called Chochmas Nashim that meets every Tuesday afternoon from 1:15-3:45 in Rabbi Weinfeld's shul on the corner of Avenue L and East 22nd. There are 3 45-minute shiurim, with a short break in between each. The first class is Navi and is extremely text-based. The teachers and guest speakers are all excellent, and if you (or anyone else) can make it, I highly recommend it!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 4:39 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 4:43 pm
What about partners in Torah. You can learn a sefer inside with someone.
I know many who enjoy this immensely.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 5:10 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Since I got married, I have times where I intensely feel the lack of textual learning in my life. I don't have any time or opportunity for textual learning. As much as I am consumed by my responsibilities, I feel like that part of me has not been stimulated in a long time. Even listening to a shiur doesn't help at all, since most of them are very fluffy. They remind me of my education classes in college. Surprisingly (to me), three different posters have expressed the same feeling to me in the last few weeks.

I was kind of joking about the forum idea (well, not, but I doubt it would ever happen). So I'll make this thread instead. How many of you chafe at the inability to find intellectual stimulation in Yiddishkeit, which leads to a feeling of lacking spirituality?

Have you tried online shiurim that aren't targeted towards women?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 5:24 pm
smileforamile wrote:
I live in Brooklyn, but I work until 3:15 every day. Do so many women have the freedom to go to those classes?

There are usually 80-100 women who come each week. It's definitely a great, very diverse crowd. But percentage-wise, 100 women out of Flatbush and BP is still quite small. I heard one of the teachers say that there had been an interested in creating a similar program at night and that he'd be happy to participate in it, but realistically, many women have families to care for at night, and busy social calendars with simchas, etc.

Many of the ladies who come are retired, work part-time, or SAHMs. If you ever have a Tuesday off (e.g. legal holiday), it's great to come just to see what you're missing! And if you're interested, I believe all the shiurim are recorded and can be purchased for not too much money.

simcha2

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 5:36 pm
I feel very lucky to have a chevruta that I hardcore learn with twice a week. It sustains me in so many ways.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
If you live in Brooklyn, there's an amazing, high-level, women's learning program called Chochmas Nashim that meets every Tuesday afternoon from 1:15-3:45 in Rabbi Weinfeld's shul on the corner of Avenue L and East 22nd. There are 3 45-minute shiurim, with a short break in between each. The first class is Navi and is extremely text-based. The teachers and guest speakers are all excellent, and if you (or anyone else) can make it, I highly recommend it!

Sounds interesting.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 5:58 pm
I also recently started craving delving into a sefer.... even tho I teach limudei life ah and I’m always learning one thing or another....but wanted somethinghebrew and challenging. found a chavrusa recently Bh
It’s half hour once a week but I look fwd to it all week
Daven for it and hashem will send someone....

mishpacha1

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:11 pm
Learning inside a sefer- even with a chavrusa- is not the same as having thought provoking sources from multiple places that altogether teach an idea, something that many of my high school/ seminary classes did. Shiurim generally are pretty fluffy, and even if they are not, they are less in depth, as it is impossible to cover in one hour a week what you can in 5 days a week (like hs). I REALLY miss intellectual learning. I sometimes feel like- why did they teach us so much and stimulate us so much growing up only to fully drop learning or make it into an extremely "side" thing when we finish school? Even though I am taking judaics classes through college and learning with a chavrusa, I still feel such a lack in intellectual learning and am struggling so much in trying to stay inspired. The Medrash says that we are able to love Hashem- veahavta es Hashem elokecha- by the next pasuk of vehayu hadevarim- by knowing Hashem by studying his torah! It is so hard for me to accept that my role nowadays is not to learn torah to the same extent that it once was.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:25 pm
Is your dh open to learning with you? We do that sometimes. I really appreciate text based learning.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:26 pm
Delete

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:28 pm
Delete

climbing613

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:29 pm
I know what you mean. I really miss that. I do learn with a Torahmate from Oorah, but it's not in depth. I wish I knew someone who wanted to learn in that way. A group sounds amazing! I don't live in Brooklyn though.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:33 pm
Not sure where you get the idea that shiurim have to be fluffy. Torahanytime.com has a zillion different classes from different speakers including some very textual, if that's what you're looking for. So does yutorah.org.

I think a forum for general Torah learning is a great idea. I would love to share and learn from each other and I think it would uplift the tone of this website. We can have a sub-forum or pinned thread for people looking for IRL or phone chavrusas.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:35 pm
For those who are busy, grab Shabbos! Read from a sefer even if just for a little bit. Do a little Rashi on the parsha. Anything!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:36 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 7:40 pm
I’ve been thinking about how much I’m craving a real textual class all week!

Anyway, try Naaleh.com. Many of the classes (all free) include extensive downloadable sourcesheet packets for the textual-based classes.

climbing613

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 7:58 pm
smileforamile wrote:
It's not the same when you're doing it alone. I miss learning with a group of girls-especially girls whom I knew (not like at a random shiur where you don't know the people)- and having discussions about it.

Yes. This is what I miss. Really delving in. I can't get myself to make it happen on my own and I miss the group discussion aspect too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics