Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear for sons aufruf

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 7:19 am
Please please tell me what’s in style.
Do not have sense of fashion. Have not bought something for myself in a long time.
Are people wearing suits these days?
Or sweaters?
What should I wear to shul day of sons aufruf??
Oldest son getting married B’H & my dressmaker botched up what I planned on wearing.
It’s in a couple of weeks so I’m running out of time.
I’m in a state of panic actually.
I do not like dresses.

Thanks!!!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 7:23 am
Sweaters?? That's extremely casual. I would say a nice top and skirt or a nice dress even. Why panic though just buy if you don't have.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 7:55 am
https://I.imgur.com/7mByXMG.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/BP7aCgt.jpg

These are pics of a ted baker seater I bought yesterday.

I think it’s reallt nice. What color top & skirt ? Black??
Is it dressy enough?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:16 am
Your lucky you know in advance. My dressmaker messed up, and on Friday night of my son's aufruf, I could get my head in the hole!
If you have time, go buy yourself something special. I don't think suits are in. Happy shopping, and Mazel tov!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:46 am
OP, better simcha wear is appropriate for an aufruf for the mom of the boy. Like the type you would wear to a neice/nephews wedding.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:50 am
Go to the department stores Bloomingdales, Saks, they have ppl there that can help you pick something nice.

Also if you live in a drum neighborhood the stores there can help as well, just let them know your budget.

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:53 am
OP, mazal tov!!

While it’s smart that you’re reaching out for advice, I just want to remind you that it’s ok to not be talented in the fashion arena - the simchah is what counts! Please don’t be panicked about this.

My advice: reach out to a person IRL and ask them to go shopping for an appropriate outfit with you. It’ll be hard to shop based off of info you read online.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:00 am
Same idea as you would wear to his Sheva brochos.
Did you get some new things for Sheva brochos? If so, you can wear one of those
When in doubt, wear a dressy black top with black skirt.
Buy some new makeup.
Get your shaitel done.
Wear a nice pair of shoes (not something worn)

Mazel Tov!

acemom

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:09 am
There is no set "rule" with these things.

It depends on the community/circle.

Without knowing details I can still say offhand that sweaters are usually too simple IMO. Unless we're talking "St Johns" or similar type, consider something more dressy, especially for the aufruf day.

What would you wear at cousins wedding or kids bar mitzva? I doubt people wear gowns to aufruf but I could be mistaken.

Ask around or give us here on imamother more details.

Mazel tov! !

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:22 am
Suits are most certainly not in, and have not been in for at least 15 years.

Where are you located? Maybe someone can recommend a store that sells “in” things. Then you most likely can’t go wrong.

Also, I know you said you don’t like dresses, but honestly, that’s the most appropriate thing to wear to a sons aufruf. But if you really won’t, there are definitely dressy tops and skirts to be found.

cm

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:35 am
Mazal tov! Suits are not trendy, but a high-quality dressy suit in a classic style can always be worn. As for what level of fancy-ness is appropriate, it varies dramatically from one community to another, from better regular Shabbat clothes to all-out simcha wear. Best to get some ideas from people in your community, and no matter what they say, wear something you feel comfortable in. I agree with the poster above about not wearing "worn" shoes, unless you have foot issues and nothing else is comfortable.

Eselle13

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:58 am
Although suits as a set with a matching skirt are not typical anymore, a pretty suit jacket with a black or blue skirt is definitely not out of style. My mother loves suits and picks up a nice suit jacket every now and then for simchos. She actually just bought one for my sister's l'chaim/vort (if she gets engaged within the next few months.) if you are choosing between a sweater or suit jacket (because you said no dresses) you can definitely wear a suit jacket. Just have someone help you make sure it doesn't look dated. Like no big shoulder pads or ornate gold buttons or such.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:09 am
My MIL is marrying off a son now and she actually bought herself 2 stunning suits from Lew Imports in Boro Park. I guess it depends what cut & style the suit is in ti determine if it's in style or not.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/7mByXMG.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/BP7aCgt.jpg

These are pics of a ted baker sweater I bought yesterday.

I think it’s reallt nice. What color top & skirt ? Black??
Is it dressy enough?

You could wear black, but I'd wear a camel skirt and a shell to pick up a color in the sweater, maybe rose. Nude pumps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics