Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What did you serve at your baby's Shalom-Zachar?

Mishie

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 1:27 pm
I need some ideas....

Nicole

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 1:31 pm
I have no idea what to serve as I only have a girl as of yet, but I had always assumed that dh gets paper goods, you order a fruit platter and some chick peas, and the neighbors do the rest.
Mishie, HOW DO YOU DO IT? How is it that your baby is 4 days old, and by 7 or 8 pm you are in chat and your kids are ALL sleeping. (more importantly, how do you get a 9 year old to sleep at that hour?) How is it that your baby is four days old and instead of passing out on the couch in exhaustion, you're thinking about what to serve at the shalom zachor?????

Sorry, I hope that this doesn't sound accusatory, I"m just bowled over. What is the secret of your calm???

red sea

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 1:44 pm
cake, cookies, nuts, chickpeas, chocolates, fruit platter, beer

Shaz

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 1:45 pm
I served baked goods, fruit, chips, pretzels, chick peas and drinks. Neighbours and friends also brought over a LOT of cakes and cookies, so we had a TON left over, which I froze.

Mazaltov!

dilego

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 1:49 pm
First a huge mazel tov,she tizku legadlo le torah chup$
pa u le maasim tovim.Although my DH always took care of it.it was usually cakes(which some friends/neighbours,sent in &some rugelech &company,from the shuk or abadi or so)chick peas,beer,pitzuchom (nuts&co.)soft drinks &maybe a lechaim.if u expct ladies to shoiw ujp then also fruits.

mommy24

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 1:56 pm
MAZEL TOV!!!
usually we have cookies, cakes, fruit platters , candy platters, CHICKPEAS (which I always remember last minute) and drinks
friends usually bring plenty of cookies/cakes/candies so really no need to get too much of that.

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 2:03 pm
don't forget garinim..... this goes in israel.

my last shalom zachor was shabbos hagadol, so we did it with a neighbour who also had a boy so the men split the food and did it in shul. and by first fh saw to it, it think they had popcorn, chick pease, rogelech and garinim.

most by us serve garini,. chick peas, drinks, sometimes cake and popcorn and not usually fruit.

we added rogelech by ds2 cus we decided, it was a double shalom zochor split with me and my neighbour and shabbos hagodol, ie just before pesach so we splurged abit. well dh and the neighbour who are good friends and daven in the same shul split btween themselves the money and what each would buy...

wonder if the shabbos bar mitzva will be like that too??!!

ps an the 2 boys are great friends.

garinim are seeds...

happy2beme

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 2:12 pm
my dh also likes to have potato kugel & cholent

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 2:13 pm
A friend gifted us all the liquid refreshment and we just bought cake, but we were SO poor we only got a box of the large sheet cake, I think it was sponge cake.

We put out napkins, too, but that was it, and it was the earliest Shabbos of the year, so people came from 6 PM until midnight !!!!

I remember DH got a box of the fancy cookies were prob ony cost $10 and I was SO upset about it, I still remember that (the baby is turning 20 years old soon.)

When a friend has a boy, I DEF send somethign good, remembering what we went through !!!

sarahd

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 2:26 pm
We served what red sea did.

Marion

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 3:19 pm
For the first one it was just me & DH & MIL & BIL in the hospital Friday night. We didn't serve anything (although MIL had brought some cake if we felt like nashing).

For this one it will be cake and fruit.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 3:23 pm
I wasn't there so I have no idea ...
but I'm sure of 2 things beer & chick peas ...
my son is already 18 ... should I ask his father What

Nikki

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 3:37 pm
I had cakes, cookies, rugelahs, candy platters, cut up fruit and cholent and kugel plus chick peas and beer. It also depends how many people u expect to show up. Mazel tov.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 3:40 pm
We DID make ds his bar mitzvah kiddush together with his friend who was born the same week in the same hospital! It was nice to do this. The friend's mother and I kept referring to each other as "machitainiste' because we had two "sides" at the simcha.

In Israel, lots of beverages are the main thing, especially in really hot areas. People have just eaten. Chocolate balls are easy enough for the sibs to make for the shalom zachar.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 3:41 pm
oh as I'm eating chips and matbucha ...

it's a definate MUST ... enchillada tortilla chips, potatoe chips - a nice variety ... and dips ... matbucha, guacamole, tehina, etc. ...

goes good with the beer Drunken Smile Drunken Smile

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 3:52 pm
green I think she means hot as the weather....

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 4:10 pm
Just be sure to freeze everything. So many amazing neighbors brought cookies and cakes and they were not put away and so the next day, I woke up some stuff that was supposed to be refrigerated went bad, and we just had to get rid of stuff. We didn't even think of freezing it for the future and thus so much went into the trash Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics