Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Warm cholent alternatives

bashinda

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 11:06 am
Because DH and I don't like cholent. Someone mentioned making rice with ? and putting it on keep warm in a slow cooker. Would that work? What would make it more interesting? DH is somewhat picky so he won't have sweet potatoes or beans but anything else? Just want something warm on Shabbos that's different from tea.

And of course I always think of this idea erev Shabbos so I haven't done anything about it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2preciousones

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 11:13 am
I tried rice with chicken in a slow cooker and it came out absolutely disgusting, rice is not good when cooked that long. I would do as an alternative meatballs and spaghetti or sometimes I do a pesach cholent, pieces of beef with potatoes, that tastes great when cooked overnight.

Helani

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 11:18 am
We just wipe down the chicken from Friday night (so no liquidy stuff is left on it) and warm it up w/ kugels for lunch.

Lani22

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 11:24 am
Chicken and barley crockpot stew-

1. 4 chicken bottoms with skin or without, depending on how rich you like it
2.1/4 bag of barley
3.1 can chicken soup plus one can of water
4.1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp dried oregano pinch of pepper
I add like 2 packets splenda or can put in a drop of honey or sugar
if you like things a little sweet.

bashinda

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 11:32 am
I think I didn't explain myself well. I would put it on keep warm as opposed to low. Wouldn't that make it so it's just warm and not cooking anymore? Someone told me that's what she does every Shabbos.

Maybe I should call her but I don't like calling erev Shabbos.

And I should have said I need it pareve as I don't have extra meat around. We're having cold roast beef, IY"H as well.

I actually like rice cholents but I don't like chicken cholents because the bones get all soft and that is not my cup of tea. or cholent.

I guess I could sautee some onions, make the rice, put it together and see what happens on "keep warm" in the slow cooker.

Lani22

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 11:36 am
Rice does not keep well in a crockpot, I would use barley.....

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 12:07 pm
We have actually discussed “cholent alternatives” many times, BasHinda. You should do a search to find all the good ideas we discussed!

In addition, it depends on what “facilities” you have. If you hve a plata, ask the rov about how you can use it on Shabbos, the dinim of it are much more lenient than with a fire left on under a blech.

bashinda

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 12:29 pm
it's not so easy to do a search and not at the moment. I don't have a plata. thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 12:35 pm
So- what do you have? Just the gas under the blech? Crockpot? What?

bashinda

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 1:06 pm
I have gas with blech or a crockpot. I think though for cooking I should just use the stove top and transfer. better figure this out fast though. it's already 1. at this point I'm thinking of a veggie version of my usual cholent (barley, potatoes, maybe celery, sweet potatos, sauteed onions)

thanks again!

Lani22

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 1:10 pm
bashinda- that sounds delicious. I would add a little extra liquid so it more like a soup...yum!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 4:15 pm
Wht about just serving the Fridaynight meal in such a way that it can be returned to the blech? I never make anything exstra for Shabbos day.

bashinda

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 6:57 pm
Gut voch and here's my review of my cholent adventure:

The vegetable cholent worked! Well if I hadn't burned the barley that is and hadn't put the pot too close the flame that is it would have been absolutely perfect. As it is I ate the non burned parts which were yummy. Very light, not heavy and the flavorings were not too spicy but good.

I put in 1/2 c. barley, 3 small potatoes, 1 sweet potato, 1 celery stalk, 1 carrot, paprika, salt and fresh crushed pepper, oh and carmelized onions, and of course water.

Since it came out already very cholenty next time I'll from the beginning put it in the cholent pot and be done with it.

It's nice to be back in "business" so to speak with cholent. Now I just have to find out how to make the kishke from the Seattle Chabad shul and I'm set!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 7:12 pm
In ohter words, we didn't h elp you here. Sad

bashinda

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 7:27 pm
1. how do you know people here didn't help me? Sometimes a dialog helps and how much could people help me at the very last minute anyway? (the problem with cholent is I only think about it erev Shabbos)

2. even if you're right that nobody helped me, I ended up with something I liked. Why the long face if I said I liked my cholent (despite some failings of the house chef! Wink ) Obviously something worked!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 8:08 pm
bashinda wrote:
2. even if you're right that nobody helped me, I ended up with something I liked. Why the long face if I said I liked my cholent (despite some failings of the house chef! Wink ) Obviously something worked!

Itr's SO TYPICAL of ppl to ask for help, I spend a LOT of time and thought looking into alternatives, and they they decide to do what they want anyway.

bashinda

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 8:22 pm
I don't understand. This isn't like me asking my mashpia and accepting to be mekabal what she tells me I should do in advance. This is culinary advice.

Also you said "we" to begin with. Since people offered different solutions how could I have possibly followed them all? As it happens I got my idea to do the veggie cholent as opposed to simply putting rice in the pot from one of the posts I read here. So in effect one of the posters did inspire my decision.

Anyway I think I've exhausted what I'd like to say about this.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 8:23 pm
(shrug)

Being unappreciated is the story of my life.

BennysMommy

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 8:44 pm
Bashinda asked for ideas. You guys brainstormed. Maybe something someone mentioned gave bashinda the idea. Why do you think she wasn't helped? CM maybe your idea somehow gave her that solution!

mommy24

Post Sat, Oct 27 2007, 9:14 pm
actually it also helped me. thnxs bashinda for starting this thread, although I normally don't make chulent, bec I never like how mine comes out. my husband loves chulnet. so after reading the posts here I decided to make a chicken chulent without beans, sort of like lani's except didn't put in the sugar. I never thought of making a chulent w/o beans- we definately like it better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus