Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My cleaning lady is slacking off
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:34 pm
Google translate. It's not perfect, but the English-Spanish translations are usually quite good. Even English-Russian is usually passable (or so I gather, based on the fact that my Russian-speaking neighbors usually nod as if the output makes sense).

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:37 pm
BayMom wrote:
If she's Spanish speaking and just about understands the words mop, floor, rag etc., you can't expect her to understand:

There are pamphlets that are specifically designed to help people communicate with Spanish employees just as there are short guides so you can order food or check into a motel.

I actually have one from years ago that my friend gave me.

It's not difficult to learn to speak the few words and phrases necessary to communicate how you want cleaning done,

And por favor; gracias; como esta.

Whatever you need to say, you can very easily figure out how to say in Spanish (or applicable language). It doesn't have to be perfect grammar. When I speak Spanish to my Spanish speaking workers, they appreciate the effort.

BayMom

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:42 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Google translate. It's not perfect, but the English-Spanish translations are usually quite good. Even English-Russian is usually passable (or so I gather, based on the fact that my Russian-speaking neighbors usually nod as if the output makes sense).
I find Google Translate not too accurate. It works fine for the basics, like I needed to find the Spanish word for 'dry' yesterday. But I find long sentences or paragraphs simply get lost in the translation and are unclear.

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:51 pm
You need to be on top of the cleaning ladies. Workers are more productive when they know management is watching. This is a fact.

When they are in the process of doing a task correct them if the work is wrong.

Not only is Google translate not always so accurate, words have different meaning in different Spanish speaking countries. I think I am saying one thing, but it doesn't mean that. It's ok. I smile and use lots of hand motions. Between that and my bad Spanish, the point gets across.

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 12:17 am
Squishy wrote:
Not only is Google translate not always so accurate, words have different meaning in different Spanish speaking countries. I think I am saying one thing, but it doesn't mean that. It's ok. I smile and use lots of hand motions. Between that and my bad Spanish, the point gets across.

I mean we're comparing Google translate to literally nothing here. You want to argue that it's not perfect Spanish? Of course it isn't.

But if someone only speaks a few words of Spanish, Google translate can make communication much much easier. I use it with a Russian-speaking student. 90% of the time the translation is decent. The other 10% of the time - well, it's not like they were going to understand my terrible Russian anyway.

It helps if you keep it simple. Stick to the most commonly used words and don't use verbs that can have multiple meanings (eg say review rather than "go over").

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:39 am
ora_43 wrote:
I mean we're comparing Google translate to literally nothing here. You want to argue that it's not perfect Spanish? Of course it isn't.

But if someone only speaks a few words of Spanish, Google translate can make communication much much easier. I use it with a Russian-speaking student. 90% of the time the translation is decent. The other 10% of the time - well, it's not like they were going to understand my terrible Russian anyway.

It helps if you keep it simple. Stick to the most commonly used words and don't use verbs that can have multiple meanings (eg say review rather than "go over").

It's better than nothing. But it can be really frustrating to use because of the multiple meanings of words in different countries.

I would think I think I am telling my cleaning lady to do something now. In Guatemala it means whenever. I thought she was being willful. Until it was explained to me by a native speaker.

In that case, it was better to mimic what I want done instead of Google translate.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry