Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Looking to do bare minimum shalach manot, ideas
Previous  1  2

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:00 pm
When I was on bed rest I gave a bottle of Smirnoff ice with a bag of color coordinating candies hanging from it. You can do a mini liquor with some chocolate or candies in a clear box (can order from amazon or papermart). Add a ribbon and a label and it will look beautiful.
I agree with Sky in regards to nothing that needs refrigeration or that needs to be done the day of/day before.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:04 pm
sky wrote:
Was it a paper plate?
My mother in law says they would put 3 things on a real plate. Carry it to a neighbor.
The neighbor would then put 3 things from her counter back on your plate and you would bring it home.

Like Ruth and Debby!

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:06 pm
If you are on bed rest please just give the minimum and don’t even think about anything more. You have a very valid excuse for not doing mishloach manot this year

gilamom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:21 pm
When I had a newborn right before Purim we got plastic measuring cups from the dollar store and filled it with a couple of store bought hamentashen, a rolled up checkered print paper napking, some small candies and a recipe card with instructions to make hamentash that I printed off the internet. There was a three pack of spatulas at the dollar store too, so I got a few of those and stuck one into each cup.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:37 pm
teachkids wrote:
Buy those snack packs of chumus. Tape or tie a bag of pretzels on top.

Sabra actually makes snack packs of chumus with pretzels together.

https://sabra.com/on-the-go/hu......html

Stick a label with a line or two about missing Israel. Done. You don’t even have to worry about packaging

yksraya

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:45 pm
Maybe a chocolate and a coffee packet.
Just wrap it in mini cellophane bags and close with ribbon or bow. You can find chocolate on sale now before purim. It's maybe very simple, but the coffee gives it a rich look, and after all it's chocolate.

dankbar

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:18 am
Buy ready paper gift shopping bags & put in two bought packaged items. No wrapping. No poems. No themes. Maybe a box waferolls with a small grape juice. If you do the chummus, do as above poster saud. Sabra chummus with pretzels attached. Place in gift bag next a small juice bottle or any drink bottle. Done

mishpacha1

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:22 am
Im planning on doing coffee in a jar and cookies. Simple, cheap, and yummy...

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:44 am
When I had a baby tanks
Tara is Esther, I gave an apple and an orange to the wife of DH’s friend who came over to read Megillah for me. (Dh babysat his kids).

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 2:19 am
amother wrote:
I am pregnant and on bed rest. Because of our jobs it's likely we will have a lot of people bringing us shalach manot even if we don't deliver. On a very limited budget. Looking for ideas . Originally we were thinking : pita chips, Israeli salad , and chumus (we recently made yeridah so we like an Israeli theme) but I am trying to think if there is anything physically easier that's inexpensive.

Are you me? Minus the Yerida part? Seriously came on here to post the same thing

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 6:28 am
I think a lot of us are on a tight budget for various reasons, and this thread is great!

I'm thinking about sending a clementine and a lunch size package of chips or Bamba.

When DD was little I got white paper bags, and let her decorate them with crayons. They were a real hit, and everyone talked about how cute they were for weeks after. I know one family kept the bag!

I remember giving MM to a family that wasn't expecting anything from me, and their son ran over to my house at the last minute with an apple and a can of tuna. LOL That was really sweet.

For people who are really particular about which heksherim they will take, I'll probably give a cucumber and an orange, or some other produce that has different brochos.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 7:45 am
chummus needs to be refrigerated so I would skip that. I would do Israeli chocolate and a drink. (those spring drinks maybe?) Blue and white bags. Add bamba if you want.

I'm also thinking an osem soup mandel theme would be cute. A soup bowl/cup with a bag of croutons but I'm not sure what else. A sachet of knorr soup mix but then you need something else ready to eat.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 7:53 am
I had a baby right before purim one year. Pregnancy was uncomplicated, but my 18 month old needed surgery and a hospital stay and a long recovery when I was 36 weeks, so I didnt have time to preplan.
Dh bought 24 glass bottles (the medium size ones) of grape juice, 24 containers of hamantash, and 24 "purim sameach" bags. He kept everything in the trunk of the car, and as we made our delivery rounds, we "assembled" them on the spot.

DVOM

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:00 am
yksraya wrote:
Maybe a chocolate and a coffee packet.
Just wrap it in mini cellophane bags and close with ribbon or bow. You can find chocolate on sale now before purim. It's maybe very simple, but the coffee gives it a rich look, and after all it's chocolate.

yksraya, I love this idea! I've made cinnamon buns and I'm stumped about what to put with them. By coffee packet, do you mean those little long rectangular single serving ground coffee packs? That would be soooo easy!

DVOM

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I think a lot of us are on a tight budget for various reasons, and this thread is great!

I'm thinking about sending a clementine and a lunch size package of chips or Bamba.

When DD was little I got white paper bags, and let her decorate them with crayons. They were a real hit, and everyone talked about how cute they were for weeks after. I know one family kept the bag!

I remember giving MM to a family that wasn't expecting anything from me, and their son ran over to my house at the last minute with an apple and a can of tuna. LOL That was really sweet.

For people who are really particular about which heksherim they will take, I'll probably give a cucumber and an orange, or some other produce that has different brochos.

I do this with my kids almost every year! Every night after homework we sit down to paint paper lunch bags... so much fun, and really cheap!

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:30 am
I seem to remember it has to be ready to eat. So you wouldn't be yotzeh with an instant coffee pack since it has to be cooked. But if you have two other foods that are ready to eat, it's fine to add it. But ask your LOR!

yksraya

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 11:22 am
DVOM wrote:
yksraya, I love this idea! I've made cinnamon buns and I'm stumped about what to put with them. By coffee packet, do you mean those little long rectangular single serving ground coffee packs? That would be soooo easy!

Yes.
It might seam like not the cheapest thing. But it's cheaper than a liquor or any other drinks, and everyone would appreciate it. It feels personal to get a single serve packet.

They also sell it in flavors like french vanilla, hazelnut etc if you want to add more flavor, or if you do a color theme.

yksraya

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
I seem to remember it has to be ready to eat. So you wouldn't be yotzeh with an instant coffee pack since it has to be cooked. But if you have two other foods that are ready to eat, it's fine to add it. But ask your LOR!

Instant coffee is already roasted...and coffee is a rich food. And the chocolate you can buy one that is mezonos so it is 2 brochos.

Alternatively you can give to just 1 or 2 ppl something more. Like if you give the kids teachers a chocolate and a wine. You have already fullfilled giving MM.

pause

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 2:18 pm
DVOM wrote:

A coffee packet might be cute but it's also not halachically another min because food given for MM must be ready to eat. AYLOR. or give ready to drink coffee.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics