Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
I’ve been throwing out dips that are older than 2 weeks old
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:28 pm
This week I found an almost full dip in the fridge,definitely older than 2 weeks. and it tasted perfect.

How do you decide when to dump a dip?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:29 pm
When it turns green, smells funky, or becomes a sentient life form. LOL

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:32 pm
Do you buy it or make it?

trixx

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:44 pm
FYI anything without mayo in it can be frozen
So all of the red/eggplant style dips

mishpacha1

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:46 pm
Idk even if the dip tasted okay I would be wary keeping it after 2 weeks....thats just me though

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:50 pm
I make all my dips and since there are no preservatives in it , I toss it once it's a week old. Bought dips last longer in the fridge but I'm picky about these things. My mother and my inlaws keep their dips week after week and they are fine with it. I personally wouldn't be.

pause

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 6:04 pm
2 weeks is also my limit for homemade dips.

Bought dips I'd go by taste/smell because there's no saying how long they sat in the fridge in the store before you bought them.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 9:49 pm
Can you all tell me how you make a variety of homemade dips (and which dips, with recipes, please) weekly, without spending all your time before Shabbos, making dips?

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 9:55 pm
I make huge tubs of salade cuite (roasted pepper salad) and roasted eggplant salads, and freeze in smaller sub-amounts. Then I remove from the freezer as needed.

pause

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 9:56 pm
Tomato dip is easy: I use a hand blender straight in a 32 oz. plastic container.
Techina: I make it once every few weeks and freeze in 16 oz. containers.
Eggplant Babaganush: I make only when I have time or we have guests because that's a bit more of a patchke though it's not hard.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:05 pm
I have a strict 10 day max rule on everything not shelf stable. Even for dips. Except stuff that have vinegar like salad dressings....
It's a mushigas. I know.
My kids already know. Mommy will say it's "old" Confused

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:50 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
I have a strict 10 day max rule on everything not shelf stable. Even for dips. Except stuff that have vinegar like salad dressings....
It's a mushigas. I know.
My kids already know. Mommy will say it's "old" Confused

Almost all the bought dips have vinegar.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:55 pm
I love a huge assortment of different dips, like Spinach dip, Jalapeno dip, Spicy tomato dip (not like what everyone makes for Shabbos), and others.

I guess if I want the variety, I either have to make them fresh every week, or buy them every week. or buy some and make some. Oh well.

thanks

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:09 pm
I keep mayonnaise in my fridge for a really long time. Never understood why people don't keep dips.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:28 pm
Bought dips have exp dates. Different ones get diff dates. My supermarket makes their own dips in deli dept some get a date of a month some 2 weeks...

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:31 pm
dankbar wrote:
Bought dips have exp dates. Different ones get diff dates. My supermarket makes their own dips in deli dept some get a date of a month some 2 weeks...

I think once theyre open and exposed to air, they may not hold up as long as when sealed.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 3:45 am
When in doubt, taste a tiny bit on the tip of your tongue. If it tastes the least bit sharp or tingly, kind of sour, then it's started fermenting. Things like hummus may look fine, but have that odd taste. Toss it.

All dips can easily be made on Thursday, for Shabbos. They actually taste better after resting in the fridge overnight. It helps the flavors develop.

rowo

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 4:56 am
Here most bought dips like hummus say 'use withing X days of opening' (usually 5-7)
Even if they have a long time till they reach expiration date, once opened they don't last that long.

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 4:59 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I make huge tubs of salade cuite (roasted pepper salad) and roasted eggplant salads, and freeze in smaller sub-amounts. Then I remove from the freezer as needed.

Gosh, that's a lot of cutting up to do. But a great idea!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:17 am
Mevater wrote:
Can you all tell me how you make a variety of homemade dips (and which dips, with recipes, please) weekly, without spending all your time before Shabbos, making dips?

I prepare 3-4 dips every Shabbos and it takes less than 8 minutes to prep them altogether.
Tomatoe dip:
3-4 tomatoes
3 frozen crushed garlic
Squirt sriracha sauce
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
Oil
Chop tomatoes put into a 32 oz disposable container add rest of ingredients , blend it all with an immersion hand blender. Cover. Refrigerate.

Olive Dip

In a 16 oz disposable container, fill half the container with olives that are pitted and have pimentos in them. Add mayonaisse , drop lemon juice, squirt sriracha sauce (adds a kick) , drop of water .
Blend with immersion blender. Cover and refrigerate.

Jalapeño Dip

3 jalapeño peppers with insides and seeds removed cut into small pieces
2 frozen crushed garlic
Mayonaisse
1 Tbsp lemon juice
A few Tbsp water but not too much
Salt to taste
Put all ingredients into 16 oz plastic disposable container, blend with immersion blender. Cover . Refrigerate .

Chummus

Can chickpeas , liquid strained , rinsed.
Put chickpeas in the microwave for about a min or two to soften even more
Add to 32 oz disposable container
3 frozen crushed garlic
Techina paste
Parsley flakes or 2 cubes frozen parsley
Mayonaisse
Salt to taste
A bit of Lemon juice
Water
Blend with immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Add water if too thick. Cover and refrigerate .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains