Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD wants to move to Israel and change her college degree
Previous  1  2

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:15 am
Just wanted to add that it's nearly impossible to transfer credits to an Israeli university. She would have to start from scratch here, for no good reason.

I'm getting the impression that someone has told her that accounting is a frum profession and engineering is not. It's true that there are accounting jobs in all-female environments and that's appealing to some charedi women. But salaries are about 30 percent less in "charedi friendly" environments than in the mainstream workforce. That's quite a bit to take. When she comes to Israel and sees religious women working successfully in pretty much every sector of the economy, she'll see that she can succeed.

Aylat

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:21 am
amother wrote:
Tell her to complete her degree in the US.

Then, as a young graduate olah, she will be eligible to go to Ulpan Etzion in Jerusalem (where she might also meet her bashert!) and also do a Master's free (a perk of aliya).

Yeah, worth it to finish and then get free Master's here if she wants to.

syrima

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:26 pm
What everyone here said and also since now working remotely is a real thing, I thnk lots of fields that used to be mostly male have become more doable for the frum female. You don't have to necessarily commute in 5-6 days a week anymore once you are established in your field.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:41 pm
Also want to say that actuary is not really a field in israel (there is no degree in it here) and they and accountants definitely don’t have the earning potential that engineers do in israel. Everyone knows hi tech is the best field to be in right now in israel

israeliMD

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 6:04 pm
She should finish her degree. I also studied engineering at Cornell though graduated with a much lower GPA (bioengineering in CALS). I'm now in medicine though my engineering background is helpful. A degree from Cornell is very well respected in Israel. People know it is an extremely strong engineering school and it will open doors. Also unlikely any credits will transfer. She has one more year, she should finish. She can easily make aliyah right after graduation. Feel free to send me a message. I made aliyah right after graduation from Cornell at 21 and turned 22 my first month in Israel.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children