Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What to do with a 5 year old scribbling on the wall

sara92

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:44 am
We recently moved to our own new apartment. The kids know very well we look after things in this apartment very carefully...I recently saw next to my 5 year old sons bed, he had doodles on the wall...I was furious...he knows very well it is totally unacceptable, he is a bit of a hyperactive defiant type...I didn't react...I would like to do something that is thought out and will help him in the long run.....any ideas??

Israeli_C

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 5:25 am
Confiscate art supplies until they can be used responsibly. A 5 year old is old enough to understand.

weasley

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:06 am
I would keep all crayons/colours in a craft box out of reach and can only be used when supervised.

Have pens kept in an organiser also out of reach and get into a habit of always putting them away!

sara92

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:12 am
It would be a bit hard to do....pens and pencils are always in reach in my house...I use them..my 7 year old daughter writes a lot...🤔 I understand if I would have to put them away and up high if he were a toddler..
But he's 5!! Is there any other kind of suitable consequence??

Israeli_C

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:23 am
sara92 wrote:
It would be a bit hard to do....pens and pencils are always in reach in my house...I use them..my 7 year old daughter writes a lot...🤔 I understand if I would have to put them away and up high if he were a toddler..
But he's 5!! Is there any other kind of suitable consequence??

I bought my 3 year old DD a book in Hebrew about not being allowed to write on the walls and furniture (מנוחה פוקס - "על מה מציירת שולי) - you could try finding something similar in English

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 8:32 am
My 5 yes old did that.I didn't think it was fair to take away all coloring supplies without a warning. He likely didn't think to much into it.

I gave him things to clean the wall with and had him sit and work at scrubing it all off. I told him why it makes mommy and daddy sad since now the wall doesn't look so nice, it's hard to get it off.... then we spoke about where he could color (even though he is 5) and brainstormed together - like a paper, or if he wants a diff type of cerfice on an empty grocery box, or we can hang a big paper on the wall (after asking permission) and he could color just on that.....then we gave him a warning that if it happens again he will have to clean it plus then we will have to put the all the coloring supplies our of reach to only be used when mommy watches (he loves to color so this was a big deterrent) he hasn't colored on the wall since.

BatyaEsther

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 8:54 am
1) I would definitely make him clean it. FYI, white toothpaste works well on white walls (experience with my daughter) and is not toxic for him to touch/breath.

2) Why was he doing it? Not that any reason is ok, but was he just not conscientious and mind wandered, marking his territory in a new home, or being defiant?

trixx

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:21 am
Buy those huge post it pads and stick on wall, he can only draw on those
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children