Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Off "Ben Hazmanim "

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 3:58 pm
Clearly I do not live in Lakewood or the like. I was reading the thread on the chaos and cancelled concert. Can someone please explain to me why the teenagers are off? Is it to help clean for Yom Tov? to get ready spiritually? My high schoolers have school through Wednesday (4/17)-ad v'ad bichlal. Additionally, they have plenty of school work, finished things before they go on break for Yom Tov. After volunteering at friendship circle, they came home to work on studying Gemara, chem, Calculus and working on a paper about Stalin and Hitler-hamach shmam. They help me clean last night, and went to tovel stuff, but it's not their main activity for the past/next week.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 4:02 pm
Kollelim and yeshivas are off for almost the entire Chodesh Nissan. After Pesach a new zman begins, some people switch yeshivas at that time .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 4:04 pm
My question is why?
I'm not off from my job.
I would love to understand and not a just because.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 4:09 pm
They don't have midwinter break or Chanuka vacation or full summer vacation etc during the year. So they condense vacation time into two months a year. In Nissan and in Av. They are never off any other time

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 4:12 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
They don't have midwinter break or Chanuka vacation or full summer vacation etc during the year. So they condense vacation time into two months a year. In Nissan and in Av. They are never off any other time

This. Yeshiva schedule is very intense. They learn until late at night, 6 days a week. So these two months of the year are a reprieve.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 4:22 pm
I do think it’s a tad too much. They are off 2/10
Months a year. They “help” and they “learn in shul” but it’s a full month at a time.

freilich

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:34 pm
While certainly not an easy time for parents, it definitely gives these boys a break. They have a pretty hard regimen throughout the year.

In addition, it gives the ones who struggle an opportunity to shine in a different venue.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:45 pm
freilich wrote:
While certainly not an easy time for parents, it definitely gives these boys a break. They have a pretty hard regimen throughout the year.

In addition, it gives the ones who struggle an opportunity to shine in a different venue.

Shine how?

chestnut

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:57 pm
Imo, would be better to give them shorter breaks more often. Then they wouldn't be so burnt out as to need the whole month off and few chances of getting in trouble

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:41 pm
BMG does not give a full month off. They ended a week after Rosh Chodesh. Most high schools - ditto.

The only son of mine who had a full month off was the one who is learning in Eretz Yisroel, which you will have to agree does make sense.

tsc3

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:51 pm
Also, some yeshivas don't have off the full month of av either. It's more like the month of Nissan and 2.5 weeks in av.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:53 pm
For the older boys , bein hazmanim is a prime dating time.
It is also a time to give the boys a chance for outlets or to develop skills , make money . During the zman there is limited free time .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics