Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
CHAOS IN LAKEWOOD: Hundreds of Yeshiva Bochrim Protest
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:00 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
With all due respect, then why live in Lakewood? There are plenty of other frum places to live.

As someone who lives in one of those "other frum places," I would be happy to welcome former Lakewooders who would prefer a more OOT approach to frumkeit where people all do their own thing, live and let live. But it seems that most of the people coming from Lakewood want to make our community more like Lakewood. Ironic.

malki2

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:45 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Huh?

Definition of go off on a tangent
: to start talking about something that is only slightly or indirectly related to the original subject

https://www.merriam-webster.co.....ngent

The Chaos was a result of discontent over a canceled concert, Im saying that the discontent is way deeper. How is that go(ing) off on a tangent???? Its very much staying on topic!

Sorry, I quoted the wrong poster. I was meaning to respond to the poster who was relating her daughter’s shidduch experience. That’s what I get for posting at work!

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:59 pm
What a nice change of heart!

Hundreds Of Bochrim Attend Free Bain Hazmanim Kumzits In Lakewood; Rosh Yeshiva Speaks At Event

Hundreds of Yeshiva Bochrim are attending a free Kumzitz event tonight at Lake Terrace Hall in Lakewood, NJ.

The event is totally open, with free admission for all bochurim.

Organizer announced that “Decorum will be strictly enforced. Featuring Beri Weber, Zemiros Choir, Uri Davidi, Yossi Shtendig Productions.”

Hagaon HaRav Sholom Ber Sortzkin, the Rosh Yeshiva of the massive Ateres Shlomo network of Yeshivos and Kollelim in Eretz Yisroel was in attendance and addressed the event in English.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:06 pm
Mevater wrote:
What a nice change of heart!

Hundreds Of Bochrim Attend Free Bain Hazmanim Kumzits In Lakewood; Rosh Yeshiva Speaks At Event

Hundreds of Yeshiva Bochrim are attending a free Kumzitz event tonight at Lake Terrace Hall in Lakewood, NJ.

The event is totally open, with free admission for all bochurim.

Organizer announced that “Decorum will be strictly enforced. Featuring Beri Weber, Zemiros Choir, Uri Davidi, Yossi Shtendig Productions.”

Hagaon HaRav Sholom Ber Sortzkin, the Rosh Yeshiva of the massive Ateres Shlomo network of Yeshivos and Kollelim in Eretz Yisroel was in attendance and addressed the event in English.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

So reading between the lines, the first cancellation was due to politics?

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:11 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
So reading between the lines, the first cancellation was due to politics?

What makes you say that? The article doesnt really offer details besides entertainers names.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:53 pm
Mevater wrote:
What makes you say that? The article doesnt really offer details besides entertainers names.

It seems that the community leaders had charatah, realized they made a mistake, and allowed a similar event a day or 2 later.

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:57 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
It seems that the community leaders had charatah, realized they made a mistake, and allowed a similar event a day or 2 later.

Thats what I think as well.

The mention of "politics" made me think that someone may have thought that the right "Lakewood Machers" werent involved, so it was canceled for that reason. But that doesnt seem to have been the case.

chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:01 am
Wow!! All of a sudden, no more minhag of no live concerts in Lakewood?

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:12 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I just asked, and was told this exact reason. R' Shmuel Kamenetzky told them to cancel it, and they asked the Lakewood Roshei Yeshivah, including R' Yeruchem Olshin, and they agreed.

I have heard that they actually said that concerts are not necessarily a bad thing but it was just this particular event that they were against. I have no idea why.

Also, my sons Rosh Yeshiva did come out against it personally for his bochurim.

I'm quoting my post because it seems that my source was correct. I heard (yesterday, as I posted) that they were not against concerts per se just that there was some sort of problem with this particular event. Whatever the issue was, it seems to have been resolved.

I just want to point out that the news media is not always accurate and sometimes things and reasons get distorted. Before everyone gets so angry and upset I think it's important to keep that in mind.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:14 am
chestnut wrote:
Wow!! All of a sudden, no more minhag of no live concerts in Lakewood?

The natives are restless
Besides would you rather they go to college or the evil w word

chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:19 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
The natives are restless
Besides would you rather they go to college or the evil w word

Huh? Why would yeshiva guys go to college during bein hazmanim? What's the w word?

chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:20 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I'm quoting my post because it seems that my source was correct. I heard (yesterday, as I posted) that they were not against concerts per se just that there was some sort of problem with this particular event. Whatever the issue was, it seems to have been resolved.

I just want to point out that the news media is not always accurate and sometimes things and reasons get distorted. Before everyone gets so angry and upset I think it's important to keep that in mind.

Sorry, but it seems that no one officially explained anything initially. People heard, people thought, etc. What exactly was wrong with the initial concert?

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:21 am
chestnut wrote:
What's the w word?

Shhhhhhh. What many people do between 9-5. Shhhh. Its a dirty word. DONT say it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:25 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

This is precisely why there should be some sort of explanation attached to such actions. If there was some sort of problem involved, most would have been understanding of it. The questioning of the Rabbonim and the protesting of the boys could have been avoided.

All this has garnered is even less respect for the Rabbonim and more criticism of our leaders. Imo, this was handled very inappropriately & unprofessionally. This whole scenario sounds like something that would have occurred in a camp-like setting, not in a seasoned city with established leaders.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:29 am
chestnut wrote:
Sorry, but it seems that no one officially explained anything initially. People heard, people thought, etc. What exactly was wrong with the initial concert?

So basically you're saying that the Lakewood Rosh Yeshivos need a better PR department? I'll let them know.

I have no idea what's wrong with the "w" word. I was actually going to suggest that as an option for bein hazmanim, didn't realize it's a bad word...

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:52 am
We dont know the details, but from the little thats known, personally Im very impressed with Roshei Yeshiva for reconsidering and allowing the concert.

Often when powerful people say "No, not happening", even when they realize theyve made a mistake, they dont back down for fear of looking weak and indecisive, "Like this today, like that tomorrow".

It seems to me that they realized they made a mistake, and were ok with fixing it.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 1:03 am
Mevater wrote:
We dont know the details, but from the little thats known, personally Im very impressed with Roshei Yeshiva for reconsidering and allowing the concert.

Often when powerful people say "No, not happening", even when they realize theyve made a mistake, they dont back down for fear of looking weak and indecisive, "Like this today, like that tomorrow".

It seems to me that they realized they made a mistake, and were ok with fixing it.

With respect to the roshei yeshiva, it's important that they get a decision like this right the first time.

chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:21 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
So basically you're saying that the Lakewood Rosh Yeshivos need a better PR department? I'll let them know.

I have no idea what's wrong with the "w" word. I was actually going to suggest that as an option for bein hazmanim, didn't realize it's a bad word...

No, not PR department, but being transparent in decisions that affect hundreds or thousands

chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:23 am
Mevater wrote:

Either that or something IS different about the new concert (one of the original singers wasn't there?). That's exactly the problem - we'll never know for the future

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:01 pm
Mevater wrote:

Or they aren't stupid
They realize that the kids will just go to movie or hangouts or worse
If they don't placate them and fast
I see what it's like with one 22 year old son
Can you imagine being held accountable for 1000s of boy
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics