Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you eat only peeled produce?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:04 pm
dankbar wrote:
Yes fish used to be preserved in alcohol.

Beef don't know reason. I just know when we used to all go to my mom she would cook differently for everyone, to follow everyone's different chumros. So she did chicken & beef by every meal because one had chumra of no beef according to their family.
One only ate live fish like carp. So she had different type of fish.
Salmon, carp, gefilte for those that ate, falshe (mock) fish balls made with ground chicken.
Every dish she had with starch or without.
With schmaltz or oil.

Wow. That must have been a ton of work on her part.

We’re chassidish and I come from a very large brood with many sil’s, each with their individual minhagim. However when they came to eat at my mom’s house they put it aside and followed what my father did, for the most part.
Maybe they’d refrain from eating a certain dish but no separate cooking.

We use peeled stuff only.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:07 pm
Ye my mom catered to each. She went beyond call of duty. According to halacha when you are at parents, you follow them & eat what they serve

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:13 pm
JPF, I only peel things if I think it's needed for the recipe. I also use garlic and KFP spices.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:14 pm
I don't understand this needing to peel everything. I can understand staying away from broccoli, but what is so hard about washing an apple or pepper? What kind of chametz could possibly survive being after they are washed? This minhag may very well have begun when people weren't careful to wash fruits and veggies and everything was stored together in much more cramped quarters. Now that we do wash everything, and get produce from stores where I have never in my life have seen people eating when putting out the food, why are people determined to make so much extra work for themselves? Many people go crazy about Pesach and don't mind making family members crazy as well, and for what? I don't think G-d is giving bonus points for these things.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:17 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I don't understand this needing to peel everything. I can understand staying away from broccoli, but what is so hard about washing an apple or pepper? What kind of chametz could possibly survive being after they are washed? This minhag may very well have begun when people weren't careful to wash fruits and veggies and everything was stored together in much more cramped quarters. Now that we do wash everything, and get produce from stores where I have never in my life have seen people eating when putting out the food, why are people determined to make so much extra work for themselves? Many people go crazy about Pesach and don't mind making family members crazy as well, and for what? I don't think G-d is giving bonus points for these things.

Whatever the reason, minhagim are important and we just don't decide to throw them out because they aren't convenient.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:24 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Whatever the reason, minhagim are important and we just don't decide to throw them out because they aren't convenient.

Even if the reasoning behind it has completely gone away (if it was ever there to begin with)? and these minhagim are very very burdensome (read: not just inconvenient) We are not talking about Torah and therefore they are not immutable. I think people should put their energies into more important things, mitzvot that get short shrift. I think for a lot of women, the idea that if a towel falls on the floor on Pesach, it can no longer be used, can be the last straw for her sanity. And when my daughters enter shidduchim, iy"H, I would caution them against anyone whose lifestyle has a multitude of extra restrictions.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:39 pm
By chassidim minhagim are like halacha.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:43 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Even if the reasoning behind it has completely gone away (if it was ever there to begin with)? and these minhagim are very very burdensome (read: not just inconvenient) We are not talking about Torah and therefore they are not immutable. I think people should put their energies into more important things, mitzvot that get short shrift. I think for a lot of women, the idea that if a towel falls on the floor on Pesach, it can no longer be used, can be the last straw for her sanity. And when my daughters enter shidduchim, iy"H, I would caution them against anyone whose lifestyle has a multitude of extra restrictions.

Nobody has to marry into anything they don't like.

As for myself, I don't see this as very burdensome. Just a bit inconvenient. After all, it's a week of my life. Not all year.
And minhagim are taken very seriously.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:44 pm
dankbar wrote:
By chassidim minhagim are like halacha.
the operative word is
LIKE. A minhag is not halacha and for good reason. We can not add to the Torah - that is an ACTUAL halacha. Minhag is fine and good but its paramount to understand the difference.

Metukah

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:02 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Can you explain the Romaine exemption? It isn't required to be used for maror and horseradish can be peeled.

Real maror is the Lettuce. We only add horseradish because the Lettuce isn't very bitter. The maror referred to in the hagadda is Lettuce.

Metukah

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:05 pm
watergirl wrote:
the operative word is
LIKE. A minhag is not halacha and for good reason. We can not add to the Torah - that is an ACTUAL halacha. Minhag is fine and good but its paramount to understand the difference.

Minhag beyisroel din hu.

That is not a chassidish idea.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:24 pm
I grew up in a Chasidish home where we peeled all produce and didn't eat garlic on Pesach . When I got married I asked my DH what his minhagim were and he said that he didn't have any particular one other than his father doesn't eat fish Pesach but his father requested that his kids not take on that chumrah when they get married. So I did Pesach for years the way I grew up instead with all of my father's chumros. As we went through the years there were many times I found myself telling my DH what he was and wasn't allowed to eat. He kept telling me that we don't have to peel and that we could eat processed foods etc . A few years ago we had a discussion and I realized I was wrong all along. It is my job as a wife to follow my DHs minhagim and not my father's. My DH has many more kulos but I'm doing the right thing by following HIS way as opposed to being machmir like my father.My Pesach is not going to be less frum or Kosher if I don't peel and eat processed foods etc. I would be doing the right thing by following my DH and his father.
So now we don't only eat produce that's peeled and our food options have increased. But my Pesach is the same. I don't feel like I'm serving HaShem any less. It was a learning experience for me.

Metukah

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:56 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I grew up in a Chasidish home where we peeled all produce and didn't eat garlic on Pesach . When I got married I asked my DH what his minhagim were and he said that he didn't have any particular one other than his father doesn't eat fish Pesach but his father requested that his kids not take on that chumrah when they get married. So I did Pesach for years the way I grew up instead with all of my father's chumros. As we went through the years there were many times I found myself telling my DH what he was and wasn't allowed to eat. He kept telling me that we don't have to peel and that we could eat processed foods etc . A few years ago we had a discussion and I realized I was wrong all along. It is my job as a wife to follow my DHs minhagim and not my father's. My DH has many more kulos but I'm doing the right thing by following HIS way as opposed to being machmir like my father.My Pesach is not going to be less frum or Kosher if I don't peel and eat processed foods etc. I would be doing the right thing by following my DH and his father.
So now we don't only eat produce that's peeled and our food options have increased. But my Pesach is the same. I don't feel like I'm serving HaShem any less. It was a learning experience for me.

Good for you. That's the way it should be.

I also use more products than my parents ; potato flour, cocoa, unpeeled produce that was washed before pesach. My mother tries to make me feel bad about the peels but I don't let it get to me. As a wife I have to follow my dh and not the other way round.

On the other hand, some of my parents chumros are because of my mother. She couldn't bring herself to use things her parents didn't. I was always very resentful.

My sisters parents in law have crazy unreasonable chumros. They recently discovered that it was all imposed by my bils grandmother. The grandfather used to go to his siblings' home to drink a cup of tea because his wife wouldn't let. That's crazy.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:22 pm
It's so sad how many people ruin pesach for generations of descendants because of their own hangups, as illustrated in so many posts here. Do they really think that's what Hashem wants pesach to be for them? Or are they not even thinking about the big picture at all?

IrenaFr

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:27 pm
What I don't understand is why all the future generations have to keep not only the humrot but the limitations ? Like if someones gran grand fathers really could not eat fish because on Pesach at their time the fish was kept in chametz , may be they would eat it otherwise ,but there was not a kosher option for their generations, why to impose those limitation on all their future generation too ? I wouldn't wish it for my grandchildren . Like if I suffered, they should suffer too ? I understand the chumrot, but not eating fish with chamezt is not a chumrah, it's their circumstances. And only at some time, not always . Like all the generation before also could eat fish .

momsrus

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:28 pm
What’s jpf?

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:38 pm
Metukah wrote:
Minhag beyisroel din hu.

That is not a chassidish idea.

But I’m distinguishing between an idea and a halacha.

This is where the wires get crossed.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:38 pm
momsrus wrote:
What’s jpf?

Just Plain Frum

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:46 pm
Most of pesach chumros of not eating certain fruit or veg started because in area of origin it was not available or it was planted next to wheat & minhag/chumra stayed & passed down the generations

IrenaFr

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:53 pm
I thought that chumrah is something like doing more then required, but the same Mitzva. For Our ashkenazi ancestors not eating certain things was not a chumrah. It really was not possible because it contained chametz in their time . But why now ? I just want to understand the logic . Yes, I am not eating kitniot but I don't understand .
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics