Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Torani community commutable to Herziliya

grivky

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 1:09 pm
We are beH making Aliya this summer and are looking for a young torani (separate boys and girls schools, mehadrin food, serious Torah learning, zionistic, no TV) community that is commutable ( less than an hour with traffic) to Herziliya with some Anglo presence. Does anyone know of communities that might fit this description? I’d love to be in touch with people who live there.
I’d specifically like to hear more about relevant communities in Ramat Amidar, Petach Tikva and torani areas bordering Bnei Brak.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:28 pm
Perhaps a bit far afield, but check out Har Bracha. You can't get more DL Torani than Rav Melamed. If you hit up Avi Hermon on facebook, he could tell you all about it.

grivky

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:42 pm
Thanks for responding! We have a one of R Melameds “Peninei Halacha”. It sounds like a great place, but the commute would probably be too much for my husband. It looks like it’s over an hour without traffic.
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Perhaps a bit far afield, but check out Har Bracha. You can't get more DL Torani than Rav Melamed. If you hit up Avi Hermon on facebook, he could tell you all about it.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 3:14 pm
Look into Karnei Shomron and maybe Ginot Shomron.

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 3:15 pm
grivky wrote:
Thanks for responding! We have a one of R Melameds “Peninei Halacha”. It sounds like a great place, but the commute would probably be too much for my husband. It looks like it’s over an hour without traffic.

Oh, shame! I was also going to suggest looking into the Gav Hahar communities (all of us in the northeast Shomron - Bracha, Itamar, Elon Moreh, Yitshar). But the commute is an hour and a quarter, like you said.

I'm very unfamiliar with the communities in the Western Shomron (or East Gush Dan, as the joke goes), but someone in NBN, or even the Shomron Council, may be able to advise you about the communities in each location. As you probably know, it's important to visit each community for yourself, and see what it would really be like for you to live there.

Meanwhile, welcome, and mazal tov! Please let me know if there is any way I can help (or host) you!

grivky

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:02 pm
Thank you so much! I’ve heard lots of great things about those communities and I wish we could have more flexibility about where we move..... I’ve heard that the work day in Israel is 9 hours and that in hi- tech it could be longer... a long commute would be really hard. Are there people in those communities make the commute?
Rappel wrote:
Oh, shame! I was also going to suggest looking into the Gav Hahar communities (all of us in the northeast Shomron - Bracha, Itamar, Elon Moreh, Yitshar). But the commute is an hour and a quarter, like you said.

I'm very unfamiliar with the communities in the Western Shomron (or East Gush Dan, as the joke goes), but someone in NBN, or even the Shomron Council, may be able to advise you about the communities in each location. As you probably know, it's important to visit each community for yourself, and see what it would really be like for you to live there.

Meanwhile, welcome, and mazal tov! Please let me know if there is any way I can help (or host) you!

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:13 pm
grivky wrote:
Thank you so much! I’ve heard lots of great things about those communities and I wish we could have more flexibility about where we move..... I’ve heard that the work day in Israel is 9 hours and that in hi- tech it could be longer... a long commute would be really hard. Are there people in those communities make the commute?

Hi! It's pretty early here, so this might be a bit rambly. I hope it's coherent:

The usual work day in Israel is 7/8 am to 3 pm. However, it varies a lot by career.

Hi-tech in general has longer hours, and there are definitely "seasons" where crunch-time demands loooong hours.

You know who could give you the inside scoop on the hi-tech spectrum, and how things work? Israeli_C. Maybe try pming her. She's very active on this site.

I think it's very smart that you guys are making Aliyah with a job lined up. However, don't be afraid to change things around if the job falls through, or if something else changes. Your Aliyah is bigger than your company, and you want it to be successful.

In general, hi-tech companies based in the Merkaz (Tel Aviv + surrounding cities) pay more for such work. But the hours tend to turn the work into golden handcuffs, and living in one of those cities is very expensive. For that reason alone, you're right to look for a yishuv, aside from the benefits of a community. I don't know anyone who works in hi-tech who is home at an early hour, or whom sees their kids more often than the weekends - even if they live next door to their work, like one couple I know in Tel Aviv. Then again, that work seems to attract a certain personality type. I know plenty of programmers, electricians, and associate-degree engineers and architects (I didn't translate that into English well, but it's a thing) whom have beautiful family lives. It's a mindset, and a choice - get paid less, but still nicely, for a lot more free time.

However, not all tech = Tel Aviv. There's definitely a glass ceiling for working in such companies outside the Merkaz - for example, our friend whom works for a coding company in Kfar Tapuah told me that they cap out at 10,000 per employee. But that is a very satisfactory salary for living in a yishuv.

Do people make the commute? Yes, of course. Everyone who lives out here has cars, though, and that might be an expense which you haven't yet factored in. (Gas, insurance, etc.) The commuters are mostly nurses, educators...and everyone who does that commute does it because they want to, not because they have to. Most people out here don't cross into city traffic to go to work.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please find feel free to pm me. I'll try to check back on this thread tomorrow, to see if you updated it.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:41 am
Rappel wrote:

The usual work day in Israel is 7/8 am to 3 pm. However, it varies a lot by career.

I think 7-3 may be a "usual work day" for public sector jobs (govt employees, kupat cholim workers, schoolteachers), but in the private sector (not just hi-tech), those hours are not "usual."

Most hi-tech workers I know work 9-5/6ish, with some taking evening calls when collaborating with colleagues overseas, many I know work earlier hours instead due to childcare concerns, many have some "early days" when it's their turn to pick up their kids from gan, compensated by "late days" sprinkled throughout the week.

Many who have long commutes participate in meetings via cellphone while commuting.

Karnash

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:48 am
Definitely look into Karnei Shomron. It is a large and growing yishuv with all the amenities about 15-20 minutes from Kfar Saba, probably 35 minutes or so from Herzlia (depending on time of day)
We have a heterogeneous population ranging from secular (the minority) to dati leumi to dati torani to Chardal. There is also a range of educational institutions plus other options nearby.
There's even an anglo bubble if that's what you're looking for.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:00 am
I'm living in an area not far from Ramat Amidar / the BB border. I send to ganim and schools in BB (non-Zionistic) but I am very well acquainted with a school נועם הרואה which is very zionistic and all girls. I have many friends who send there and everyone's happy. There's also a boy's equivalent שלום. I've heard some complaints about how late they start learning English there.

For mehadrin food, there are a few options in Ramat Gan (especially take away, chalavi cafes etc) but for kashrut like Eida Charadit or Landau you need to go to BB (which is very accessible). I order from BB - it's free for fruits and veggies and the cost is something like 20-30 shekels for meat orders.

The dati community in Amidar is very active, welcoming and seems to be very Torani. However anglo presence is almost non-existent, so if you don't speak Hebrew you may have problems fitting in. Anglo communities are more so found in yishuvim and the Jerusalem area. I moved to the center when I made aliyah (with no Hebrew) and now only speak Hebrew in my daily life and am glad I made the plunge. But with kids it could be difficult.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:05 am
Rappel wrote:
You know who could give you the inside scoop on the hi-tech spectrum, and how things work? Israeli_C. Maybe try pming her. She's very active on this site.

Yes! Be in touch, my DH works in hi-tech in the merkaz.
Expect long days- he wakes up at 6am to pray and study, drops off the kids at 8.30am, gets to work before 9am and is home (10-15 min commute by bicycle) by 6.30pm at the earliest. If they're working on a project they can be there til late at night (10pm, 11pm... depends on his company)

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:12 am
I work in the hi tech sector in Israel and 9-6 is the usual day. Unless he’s working on something super secure, everyone I know has a laptop that they take home. Depending on the company and his job, your husband may be able to negotiate some partial work at home hours and be able to commute at off hours.
There is a torani DL community in Herzliya based around the bnei Akiva yeshiva but I don’t think there are any Anglos there.
Definitely look into Karnei Shomron. There’s a great mix of people there and it’s a very warm yishuv that makes Olim feel very welcome.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:23 am
essie14 wrote:
I work in the hi tech sector in Israel and 9-6 is the usual day. Unless he’s working on something super secure, everyone I know has a laptop that they take home.

This is true. DH works in cyber security so unfortunately he can't take work home.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:44 am
Rappel wrote:
Hi! It's pretty early here, so this might be a bit rambly. I hope it's coherent:

I dont know any sector that finishes work at 3 pm. Except for gannanot. Or shift work, such as a nurse.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:49 am
essie14 wrote:
I work in the hi tech sector in Israel and 9-6 is the usual day. Unless he’s working on something super secure, everyone I know has a laptop that they take home. Depending on the company and his job, your husband may be able to negotiate some partial work at home hours and be able to commute at off hours.

This (I also work in the hi tech sector).

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:30 am
DrMom wrote:
I think 7-3 may be a "usual work day" for public sector jobs (govt employees, kupat cholim workers, schoolteachers), but in the private sector (not just hi-tech), those hours are not "usual."

Most hi-tech workers I know work 9-5/6ish, with some taking evening calls when collaborating with colleagues overseas, many I know work earlier hours instead due to childcare concerns, many have some "early days" when it's their turn to pick up their kids from gan, compensated by "late days" sprinkled throughout the week.

Many who have long commutes participate in meetings via cellphone while commuting.

You said it better than I. Smile I was specifically responding to the OP's statement that the usual Israeli work day is very long. I wanted to make it clear that that's not true in all fields, but it is in hi-tech.

OP, it looks like you got some great responses here, both from within the field, and from the region. I'm glad everyone else could help, and I hope you'll drop by to visit Itamar!

When are you making Aliyah?

Last edited by Rappel on Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:35 am

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 9:43 am
grivky wrote:
We are beH making Aliya this summer and are looking for a young torani (separate boys and girls schools, mehadrin food, serious Torah learning, zionistic, no TV) community that is commutable ( less than an hour with traffic) to Herziliya with some Anglo presence. Does anyone know of communities that might fit this description? I’d love to be in touch with people who live there.
I’d specifically like to hear more about relevant communities in Ramat Amidar, Petach Tikva and torani areas bordering Bnei Brak.

I think that your best bet in terms of finding Anglos is Petach Tikva.
Also, have you checked out options in Givat Shmuel? There's a very strong anglo presence there, but it's a lot more 'lite'/'modern' than some of the areas you mentioned
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions