Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
So nervous for my 2nd child's personality

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:19 pm
This might be a little silly. My toddler was Kah a text book easy baby, very easygoing personality, adorable and lots of fun to parent and hang out with - a fave with the grandparents and all the cousins. I do invest in a lot in my parenting but we also have great goodness of fit and I find it intuitive to parent.

So anxious about my second (due in a few months) ! All I have to do is look at my own and dh siblings to see how very different any two siblings, especially the first and second, can be. I guess I'm nervous I won't be able to parent a harder kid. Or I won't know what to do with a difficult baby. Or that I won't like the second as much as my first!

soap suds

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:33 pm
Hey, take it easy. The kid hasn't even been born yet. Chances are he/she'll turn out to be the sweetest little angel. It's true siblings can be very different from one another, but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. Besides, being different doesn't always mean good vs. bad, easy vs. hard. Some kids are just very different, but each one good in their own way.

My oldest DD was a very easygoing, relaxed, overall happy kid. My second one was extremely active, going from one thing to the other, but at the same time happy-go-lucky and great at following instructions. So it wasn't that one was good and the other bad, they just each had their own unique flavors.

Either way, obsessing over it now will just put you on edge. Just take it one step at a time. Focus on the here and now. You'll have plenty of time to deal with any hardships that may (or may not) arise, when you get to that bridge.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:35 pm
Are you me?!

soap suds

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This might be a little silly. My toddler was Kah a text book easy baby, very easygoing personality, adorable and lots of fun to parent and hang out with - a fave with the grandparents and all the cousins. I do invest in a lot in my parenting but we also have great goodness of fit and I find it intuitive to parent.

So anxious about my second (due in a few months) ! All I have to do is look at my own and dh siblings to see how very different any two siblings, especially the first and second, can be. I guess I'm nervous I won't be able to parent a harder kid. Or I won't know what to do with a difficult baby. Or that I won't like the second as much as my first!

When I was expecting my second, I remember thinking that there's no way I'll love this baby as much as I love my first! My entire life revolved around DD1. She was the light of my life. I couldn't fathom loving anyone else as I loved her. But trust me, once the baby was born, it didn't take long to fall in love with the new addition.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 11:41 pm
Breathe, darling.
This child will be different. He/she will be her own human. Your relationship will be different and unique. Try to be in the moment with your new baby and just enjoy forming a new connection, enjoy learning who this new person is, and enjoy being a new kind of Mommy to this child who will need you in the way SHE needs you. That's all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics