Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Hashem Yishmor 😱😱😰😰😰
Previous  1  2  3  4

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:22 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
What car? Did you have to set it, or is it preset?
I’m thinking though, that after a while you will become used to it.

I don’t drive, Dh does. It’s a new car that we got a few days before Pesach. It is preset and in Hebrew. Dh didn’t figure out yet how to change the language.
It’s a Nissan, Sentra I think.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:55 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
My husband once left our 18 month old home alone. I was out volunteering somewhere and had the baby. He was home with our toddler and preschooler. The rest of the kids were at school. He needed to do an errand with a friend of his. Grabbed the preschooler and forgot the toddler at home. He was in the store with his friend and our daughter, when all of a sudden the preschooler began asking for her sister. Then it hit him that he left her sleeping in the crib at home, a 20 minute ride away. He left his friend and our daughter at the store and raced home. Thank God she was OK, and that I didn't hear about it until after the fact. This was almost 10 years ago.

Unfortunately things happen.

I am so saddened for this family. I wish them a sincere nechama.

While this is terrifying, probability wise, the chances of anything happening to the child are very low, bh. Unfortunately, with kids left in the car, the chances of survival are low.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 8:58 am
I heard that in this story there was actually a miscommunication between the husband and wife so they didn't even forget the baby, each one thought the other one was taking her. Crying

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:04 am
(Anon for obvious reasons)

I was once in a car with a neighbor, we had something to take care of her kids were being babysat, last minute the babysitter didn’t Wana watch the baby so delivered him/her to the car... neither one of us remembered till later... bH it wasn’t a bad ending

It’s was PACHAD!!!

It can happen to anyone
Remember GOD runs the world!!!
I really believe that
How can adults both forget a child??!!

Please don’t judge, after all can you judge God??

ETA: they then had an alarm system installed
If the back door was opened before the trip once parked after 5 min an alarm sounded, worse than a car alarm sound!!

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:39 am
One more very important safety point to keep in mind is to lock your car when you leave it so that your young child can't inadvertently get IN and not be able to come out (or even worse, start the motor - I've heard that too....). A relative of mine told me once that she was in middle of cooking for Shabbos on a hot day when she got this feeling - for no reason other than Hashem had Rachmanus - to go check on her young child (don't remember how old she was, maybe four or so). She ran out to the car and the child had gotten in there and closed the doors and then couldn't get the door open to get out. B"H aside from being very overheated, the child was okay.

My heart goes out to this young couple, whoever they are. May they feel Hashem at their side and gather strength to go on.

It could happen to anyone. It was my worst nightmare when my kids were little, especially my youngest who came quite a few years after my previous child, and taking a baby was not habit for me....I left my bag in the back with her for years. DH did something similar to not forget her.

Rappel

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 10:04 am
I saw another little ingenious idea, assuming you take your car keys with you when you leave the car: have a retractable cord clipped to your keys, and also clip it to the baby car seat whenever baby is riding with you. When you get out, you'll need to unclip your keys from the seat, and it will remind you about the baby.

Last edited by Rappel on Tue, May 07 2019, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:16 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I heard that in this story there was actually a miscommunication between the husband and wife so they didn't even forget the baby, each one thought the other one was taking her. Crying

So how did the baby end up in the car?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:20 am
I saw on the news that the front window of the car was rolled down. The police are investigating exactly how she passed. How long was the child in the car? Did she not cry? Or were her cries not heard?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:21 am
Not the same exactly, but when my oldest was a newborn, I once put her in the carseat and totally forgot to buckle her in. She wasn't fastened at all, not top or bottom. I noticed as I was driving that she looked weirdly slumped and pulled over and then realized. It's scary to think that even a relatively mild collision could have chas veshalom caused a severe injury. These things really can happen to anyone.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:21 am
That's so scary. I wouldn't have thought that could happen if the window was open, particularly since it wasn't so hot yesterday.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:42 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I saw on the news that the front window of the car was rolled down. The police are investigating exactly how she passed. How long was the child in the car? Did she not cry? Or were her cries not heard?

Speculation and discussion of particulars does no one any good, and can hurt the family very much.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 11:53 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
So how did the baby end up in the car?

I was told that the mother tried to bring her to daycare but she didn't want to go, so she brought her back home and there was a miscommunication between the husband and wife about who was taking her.

Roots

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 12:17 pm
nebach. so so sad

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:22 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Speculation and discussion of particulars does no one any good, and can hurt the family very much.

True. But general information about car safety (NOT relating to this particular tragic, horrfying incident) IS SO IMPORTANT. I also did not realize that this could occur on a day like yesterday where it was high 60s, WITH the front window rolled down! People probably dont realize that! Im not saying I would ever leave my baby in a car with the windows rolled down by themselves in spring-like weather, but older kids? I could see that possibly happening....?! I think its important for everyone to be aware.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:41 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
True. But general information about car safety (NOT relating to this particular tragic, horrfying incident) IS SO IMPORTANT. I also did not realize that this could occur on a day like yesterday where it was high 60s, WITH the front window rolled down! People probably dont realize that! Im not saying I would ever leave my baby in a car with the windows rolled down by themselves in spring-like weather, but older kids? I could see that possibly happening....?! I think its important for everyone to be aware.

Of course, but people here are saying “I heard....” or “I was told.....”
there were a lot of questions in the post that I quoted, which don’t need to be asked publicly.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 1:47 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Of course, but people here are saying “I heard....” or “I was told.....”
there were a lot of questions in the post that I quoted, which don’t need to be asked publicly.

Yes, I agree. Any questions specific to yesterday's tragedy should not be asked. Common decency. It is not our business and not the Jewish way.
However, I would still like to know in GENERAL more about windows being open/ 60s weather still causing car death. If anyone has reputable sources, insights or knowledge please share. It can save a life!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:07 pm
These poor parents are inevitably going to cop a lot of flak by ignorant and judgemental people (I’ve already seen it on social media) - and this on top of their grief. Is there any way we could somehow send a supportive message, saying what everyone has said here, that it could happen to anyone and that we don’t blame you, etc? Or is that a terrible idea.

Zehava

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 9:11 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Yes, I agree. Any questions specific to yesterday's tragedy should not be asked. Common decency. It is not our business and not the Jewish way.
However, I would still like to know in GENERAL more about windows being open/ 60s weather still causing car death. If anyone has reputable sources, insights or knowledge please share. It can save a life!

Try it. Park your car under the blazing sun in 60 degrees. Turn it off. Leave the window open. Sit there for 15 minutes.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics