Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Makeup

Einikel

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 9:02 pm
I’m very comfortable wearing little or no makeup day to day. I feel like society expects every woman to be made up when leaving the house. Would love to hear opinions and thoughts.

soap suds

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 9:06 pm
Einikel wrote:
I’m very comfortable wearing little or no makeup day to day. I feel like society expects every woman to be made up when leaving the house. Would love to hear opinions and thoughts.

Well, you're in good company. I very rarely wear makeup other than to a simcha. I'm more comfortable this way, definitely a time-saver, and I don't really care about what society dictates.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 3:24 am
NO such expectation

essie14

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 3:34 am
I have a toddler and I wear lip balm and mascara almost every day (sometimes I don't even have time for the mascara) but for Shabbat and special occasions, I wear a full face of makeup.
I don't feel any expectation to wear makeup every day.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 3:43 am
I wear none / next to none except to a simcha.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:00 am
Tinted lip gloss for me, and a swipe of blush if I think about it. I usually forget.

I'm very pale, otherwise I wouldn't care at all.

I wore a full face every day when I was younger, but these days I'm happy with the way I look naturally.

little neshamala

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 4:53 am
I change it up. Some days just a bit of mascara, other days no mascara but a bit of eyeliner and lipstick, if I feel tired and need some energy I'll add eyeshadow...but not at all because of society's expectations. I never felt any sort of expectation, I happen to enjoy makeup.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:05 am
There are a few books about women who stepped off the beauty merry go round. The Beauty Experiment, for one. The Beauty Suit was about living religious modestly. Which isn't the same but the idea is toning it down.

I think that we start out from a place it takes these women a year to reach and that is our innate self value, that we have things to accomplish that we can do just as well without the face, that we can still present ourselves as well with no to minimal "mask."

At least I hope so Wink

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:21 am
I wear makeup every day and I hate that I have to spend 10-12 minutes applying it.
I have almost no eyelashes and I’m very pale. I look completely different with makeup on. I know that I don’t look good on a 2-3 day yomtov when there is barely anything left. I do not let ANYONE see me after I’ve scrubbed my face.
I see women who really look good without any makeup and I’m jealous. I’ve tried using nice nice glasses/frames and wearing pretty shaitels. I am just colorless and don’t look good at all.
I’m thankful that makeup transforms my face for me and makes me look good.
Of course I wish I didn’t have to bother...

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:25 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I wear makeup every day and I hate that I have to spend 10-12 minutes applying it.
I have almost no eyelashes and I’m very pale. I look completely different with makeup on. I know that I don’t look good on a 2-3 day yomtov when there is barely anything left. I do not let ANYONE see me after I’ve scrubbed my face.
I see women who really look good without any makeup and I’m jealous. I’ve tried using nice nice glasses/frames and wearing pretty shaitels. I am just colorless and don’t look good at all.

I’m very “colorless” as well. Recently started using a tanning serum for my face and it makes a big difference for the those makeup free days. Which I make sure to have once a week to give my skin a break. I also find that it depends on what wig I’m wearing. A full wig doesn’t look good without makeup, but I can get away with it with a fall or my more casual straight wig.

Aylat

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:35 am
It probably depends on your society. I don't feel any expectation to wear makeup.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:40 am
I rarely wear makeup. I'd rather sleep an extra half hour than have to cover up any dark circles Wink
I wear moisturizer with SPF every single day, though. I dont want flaky skin!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 5:40 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

Yes!! I'm the same!! I don't look good on 2-3 day yom tov, and a lot of ppl look good without makeup on, but not me. I also have rosacea which makes me look really bad on yomtov/shsbbos with no makeup on.

Once I decided to wear very little face makeup but I still put makeup on my eyes (but didnt cover undereyes or...)...well, guess what? My mil told me "you look tired". But, I get very little sleep all the time and was wondering why she only told me that now. Then, I realized it was my lack of face makeup that made her make that comment, otherwise she thinks I'm well rested which is not true.

Truthfully, I put makeup on for myself and not bec. Society expects it. But, there are some ppl who have rednes on face or...and they don't wear makeup. I think it takes a lot of confidence to not wear makeup(for younger women) when your face doesn't look good without it. I don't have that confidence and need to wear makeup to feel good, but I don't put on tons on my face.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:12 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Yes!! I'm the same!! I don't look good on 2-3 day yom tov, and a lot of ppl look good without makeup on, but not me. I also have rosacea which makes me look really bad on yomtov/shsbbos with no makeup on.

Once I decided to wear very little face makeup but I still put makeup on my eyes (but didnt cover undereyes or...)...well, guess what? My mil told me "you look tired". But, I get very little sleep all the time and was wondering why she only told me that now. Then, I realized it was my lack of face makeup that made her make that comment, otherwise she thinks I'm well rested which is not true.

Truthfully, I put makeup on for myself and not bec. Society expects it. But, there are some ppl who have rednes on face or...and they don't wear makeup. I think it takes a lot of confidence to not wear makeup(for younger women) when your face doesn't look good without it. I don't have that confidence and need to wear makeup to feel good, but I don't put on tons on my face.

I think make-up ages people, especially when it is put on the face regularly. I always wonder what someone is covering up. I would rather look tired when I am tired so people cut me some slack vs faking a fresh face. But don’t listen to me, I am nearly 50, what would I know.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:49 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I think make-up ages people, especially when it is put on the face regularly. I always wonder what someone is covering up. I would rather look tired when I am tired so people cut me some slack vs faking a fresh face. But don’t listen to me, I am nearly 50, what would I know.

I’m 47 and I look a lot younger and prettier with makeup. You want to know what I’m covering up? Not much aside for my pale face that I’d rather you don’t see. I’m just making it nicer for you to enjoy looking at me when we speak.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:15 am
do what works for you

forgetit

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:21 am
I feel no expectations, but I do feel more confident when meeting new people, interacting with colleagues, at simchos, etc. if my face is nice and smooth, with blemishes covered up and a bit of color on my cheeks. I don't wear much (barely ever lipstick-my lips are thick and nicely colored, never eye makeup) but the bit that I use, I feel I need. I sleep very little and my skin shows it, even if cosmetologists tell me I have really good skin. To me, this is part of getting dressed in 'formal wear', just like I put on that cashmere sweater and wool skirt.

aliavi

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 7:38 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I’m very “colorless” as well. Recently started using a tanning serum for my face and it makes a big difference for the those makeup free days. Which I make sure to have once a week to give my skin a break. I also find that it depends on what wig I’m wearing. A full wig doesn’t look good without makeup, but I can get away with it with a fall or my more casual straight wig.

Which serum?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 07 2019, 6:23 pm
aliavi wrote:
Which serum?

Luxe the face. You add a few drops to your moisturizer or serum. I’m really happy with it. I’ve never used any other self tanner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics