Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Monsey Opulance
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:32 am
I mean this rather innocently, I was in Monsey recently and I was rather awestruck by the level of opulence in the neighborhood. I mean houses were GORGEOUS, clothing stores with matching European clothes for the whole 10-kid family. We were there during a regular work day and there were lots of people around walking/jogging/strolling in the park. I'm more of a pashut'er yid and I buy my kids discount clothing at Wal Mart and Old Navy. My husband and I both work and we have no budget for half of these things. Where does the money come for this level of opulence?

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:37 am
You're throwing out a bait, and I'm dumb for falling for it. But I still can't help myself.
Umm? Exactly which part of Monsey? The areas where ppl have 10 kids are all either dumpy townhouses or new condos with 6-10 families in a 'building'. Have got to see the opulence there...

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:41 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
You're throwing out a bait, and I'm dumb for falling for it. But I still can't help myself.
Umm? Exactly which part of Monsey? The areas where ppl have 10 kids are all either dumpy townhouses or new condos with 6-10 families in a 'building'. Have got to see the opulence there...

When you see ladies out and about, they are dressed gorgeous and have the latest strollers with matching accessories. There are parts of a Monsey with gorgeous mansions.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:47 am
Squishy wrote:
When you see ladies out and about, they are dressed gorgeous and have the latest strollers with matching accessories. There are parts of a Monsey with gorgeous mansions.

The parts of Monsey with gorgeous mansions can (or can't) afford it. She's saying OPULENCE in Monsey is too much of a statement for Monsey aswhole.(They generally don't have 10 kids, but that's a whole other story.)
FTR, I have one stroller $40 off amazon and another 3rd hand one that I use for heavy duty walking, and no one would accuse me of being dressed gorgeous. BUT, you don't have to spend that much to dress and look well and there's no sin in that.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:48 am
Ever since the influx of Brooklynites moving to Monsey the stores and extravagance has blossomed. It wasn't like this when I moved here. The fancy homes are new too. There are some nicer areas that have wealthier folk but in main Monsey it's lots of condos and apartments now that may look like a single family mansion but really are original homes with huge extensions that now have multiple apartments and tenants.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:51 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Ever since the influx of Brooklynites moving to Monsey the stores and extravagance has blossomed. It wasn't like this when I moved here. The fancy homes are new too. There are some nicer areas that have wealthier folk but in main Monsey it's lots of condos and apartments now that may look like a single family mansion but really are original homes with huge extensions that now have multiple apartments and tenants.

I don't know how long ago you moved to Monsey, but we've been saying that since the early 90s! (my parents moved from Brooklyn to Monsey in 1981).

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:52 am
Please note that those dressed up and walking the shopping areas pushing a nice stroller are not those in mansions. Those are the relatively young moms with a few babies who are going out. You see this crowd in BP as well, at least you used to.

The mansions? There are/ were very wealthy people in Monsey

There are lots if other people in Monsey as well, btw.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:52 am
Sorry I know that there are different neighborhoods of Monsey, I know that the "older" part of Monsey is less opulent, but I was in the stores in several shopping centers--Amazing Savings for example--I've been to other Amazing Savings and while yes it was mostly the same merchandise, the store was BIGGER and had MORE. Other stores there was just a level of grandeur in each store that I'm just not used to seeing.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:53 am
We live in a society very much based on people’s image... why would Monsey be different?
Are people in Monsey supposed to have a “simpler” life?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:54 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
The parts of Monsey with gorgeous mansions can (or can't) afford it. She's saying OPULENCE in Monsey is too much of a statement for Monsey aswhole.(They generally don't have 10 kids, but that's a whole other story.)
FTR, I have one stroller $40 off amazon and another 3rd hand one that I use for heavy duty walking, and no one would accuse me of being dressed gorgeous. BUT, you don't have to spend that much to dress and look well and there's no sin in that.

100% That's what I'm saying but it wasn't your level that I was seeing more of.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:55 am
OP, I'm curious. Where are you coming from? Monsey shouldn't be a surprise if you're visiting from brooklyn or lakewood. Ive seen it in EY too. Is it that different where you are?

ETA There also more ROOM here, so AS is larger here.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 12:01 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I don't know how long ago you moved to Monsey, but we've been saying that since the early 90s! (my parents moved from Brooklyn to Monsey in 1981).

When I moved here Franks bakery , that hole in the wall was all the rage.
F&F was the place you shopped for children's basics and clothes. The stores were simple and plain to match the needs of most of Monsey. Then suddenly boom... "affordable housing" got approved, all the building started. Suddenly people from Williamsburg and Boro Park were willing to leave their mother's backyard to live more affordably. But the materialism came along with it. Suddenly there was a demand for an upscale place like Rockland Kosher mall and Town Square. And now there are more popping up everywhere. You read the community connections and its ads for luxuries upon luxuries. Once upon a time Monsey was known as a pashut place to live....can't really say that now.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 12:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mean this rather innocently, I was in Monsey recently and I was rather awestruck by the level of opulence in the neighborhood. I mean houses were GORGEOUS, clothing stores with matching European clothes for the whole 10-kid family. We were there during a regular work day and there were lots of people around walking/jogging/strolling in the park. I'm more of a pashut'er yid and I buy my kids discount clothing at Wal Mart and Old Navy. My husband and I both work and we have no budget for half of these things. Where does the money come for this level of opulence?

Hashem.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 12:12 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

I agree with this.

I must be a real tzirikgeblibener Monseyer.

I'm not 'chapping' these threads about the these issues.

Yes, times have changed for better for worse all over and Monsey is not immune either.

While I don't necessarily appreciate that the standard of living has been upped outrageously, I don't think ranting about this on this forum is going to make a dent.

I guess, it's only ranting.

Ok, OP, I hear you and feel your disappointment.

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 12:19 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

When you drive around Monsey and look at the houses in the nicer sections, you aren't seeing basic bilevels. You are seeing gorgeous custom homes on nice plots. No one is ewwing and awwing at condos.

The women who are not dressed fancy aren't the ones catching new comers' eyes. I wrote about this before, when I moved in I wanted to know if there was some yontiff going on because the ladies were dressed up.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 12:20 pm
Squishy wrote:
When you drive around Monsey and look at the houses in the nicer sections, you aren't seeing basic bilevels. You are seeing gorgeous custom homes on nice plots. No one is ewwing and awwing at condos.

The women who are not dressed fancy aren't the ones catching new comers' eyes. I wrote about this before, when I moved in I wanted to know if there was some yontiff going on because the ladies were dressed up.

I agree with this as well. Many women look dressed shabbosdig on a regular weekday. I think it's part of the upside down world that we live in.

nchr

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:00 pm
For someone who buys clothing at Walmart and Old Navy almost 90%+ of the people in Monsey would be considered opulent. Buying $5-$20 outfits is not the norm in the Monsey community.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:03 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
When I moved here Franks bakery , that hole in the wall was all the rage.
F&F was the place you shopped for children's basics and clothes. The stores were simple and plain to match the needs of most of Monsey. Then suddenly boom... "affordable housing" got approved, all the building started. Suddenly people from Williamsburg and Boro Park were willing to leave their mother's backyard to live more affordably. But the materialism came along with it. Suddenly there was a demand for an upscale place like Rockland Kosher mall and Town Square. And now there are more popping up everywhere. You read the community connections and its ads for luxuries upon luxuries. Once upon a time Monsey was known as a pashut place to live....can't really say that now.

I only mentioned that because I met someone who moved to Monsey in the early 2000s and within a few years was complaining that all the new people moving in were ruin the "simple" area she had moved to. I laughed because her "simple" was so much fancier than older Monsey.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:04 pm
Squishy wrote:

I've noticed this as well when I've visited Monsey. Even at Chai Pizza with the sticky seats, I was the sole person in a jean skirt. I've been to Monsey many times. Billy Beez, play areas, different places to eat and different parks, and I was always very shocked to see the dressed up ladies. I would expect it in Brooklyn, but not in Monsey for some reason.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:05 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
We live in a society very much based on people’s image... why would Monsey be different?
Are people in Monsey supposed to have a “simpler” life?

Officially it used to be like that. Many people moved here because they didn't want their kids growing up with that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics