Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Round Trip (same day) NYC to Boston, what are the options?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 11:44 am
What are the options, going from NYC to Boston, MA 02203, round trip midweek, same day return?

TIA

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 11:48 am
We've done it with driving. My grandmother lived in Boston and my siblings and I drove from Brooklyn. We visited her and some relatives . Spent the day and drove back at night.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 11:50 am
thunderstorm wrote:
We've done it with driving. My grandmother lived in Boston and my siblings and I drove from Brooklyn. We visited her and some relatives . Spent the day and drove back at night.

Its a 5 hour drive and person going would prefer to rest, so train (also 5 hours) or bus is preferred. Plane is probably much more money.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 11:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its a 5 hour drive and person going would prefer to rest, so train (also 5 hours) or bus is preferred. Plane is probably much more money.

My mother takes the bus but gets off in Providence RI and she has my uncle pick her up to bring her to MA. But that may be because he lives in Sharon MA which may be closer.
She takes the bus from Port Authority. It used to be the Bonanza bus line but now it may be different.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 11:56 am
Train is also expensive. But there is one from nyc to boston. If ur not in Manhattan it becomes a huge shlepp to get to the train (have to make sure to take the direct/ express one that’s 3 hours there are ones with stops that are forever).

We always drive and have done it in one day. U might also be able to find a guy/ driver willing to do it for 300$ or so on ur car. I’ve had a young guy drive me when I couldn’t drive.

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 3:23 pm
Megabus goes from somewhere in midtown manhattan ( I think adjacent to javits center) somewhere in downtown Boston.
Peter Pan bus goes from port authority to south station in Boston.
Amtrak goes from penn station to south station in Boston. You can also check out the Acela Express train which is more expensive but faster than the regular northeast regional.
GoBus also goes from midtown to somewhere in the suburbs— I think Newton.
Don’t rule out flying. Check out prices on the delta shuttle and jet blue.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 3:35 pm
For an older person or frail person the train is most comfortable and you can walk around.

The bus is great for strong people. I wouldn't go on it pregnant, I get motion sickness on it.

I've also gone by plane. Quickest and most expensive.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 4:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Train is definitely much more comfortable than driving (or flying), and Amtrak goes to south station in Boston which is a relatively close walk or a very inexpensive cab ride to the zip code you mention in Boston. The question is where in NYC are they starting from and can they get to Amtrak easily on that side?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics