Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Book for young girls on body positivity

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:55 pm
My beautiful, strong and muscular daughter is being taunted by her classmates about her bigger than average built and being called fat. We talk many times about how everyone is beautiful in their own way and no single figure is more beautiful than other.
Does anyone know of a Jewish book or CD about body positivity and health at every size? I’m in the mental health line and a recovered anorexic myself. I know too well what body shaming can do to a child and it kills me that my beautiful healthy daughter is being bullied at the young age of 6 for being in a body that’s “different” than what ignorant Society decided is the body one needs to be in. (Yes I am angry that adults in our society are putting such emphasis on body shape and size that young children are calling others fat. That is the other extreme of healthy. Rant over)

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:12 pm
Confidence is not enough to combat bullying.

unexpected

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:22 pm
If this is happening in school then you MUST call the school and do not rest until they really crack down on whoever is shaming your daughter. There is no excuse for any school to tolerate bullying and even though there is just a few days left to school they need to reach out to the bully and let her know exactly how unacceptable it is.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:38 pm
unexpected wrote:
If this is happening in school then you MUST call the school and do not rest until they really crack down on whoever is shaming your daughter. There is no excuse for any school to tolerate bullying and even though there is just a few days left to school they need to reach out to the bully and let her know exactly how unacceptable it is.

I know the parents of the girls who called my daughter “fat”. Do I go to them directly or to the school? Or both? I’m so bad at confrontation Can't Believe It

Optione

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:41 pm
Speak to the school and give them names, don't go directly to the parents.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:44 pm
Optione wrote:

Thank you so much

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:54 pm
I agree that the school should be contacted and they need to take action to make it stop. This is unacceptable behavior. Children need to be taught that obnoxious behavior is not acceptable. I have a child who was teased for a different reason and the school spoke to the bullies about it.

don't know about any such books but my dd is 9 and she is also has a more shall we say "muscular built" aka according to BMI she is overweight, forgot if she is considered obese or not but she doesn't look unhealthy just larger build. She is also taller then the other kids.

We make a big deal about how strong she is... we've given her sports lessons and she takes parkour which she loves. We've shown her videos of "American ninja"- showed her what people with her "body type" could do which she thought was awesome.

Someone once told her that she will never be able to be a competitive gymnast because of her body type and we kindly told the person not to make such comments. It was an adult who meant well and never said anything else like that once we said something. As a parent we need to speak up for our child.

I know you've said you talk about it but can you get her involved in stuff that she will shine in?

I also think it's important to try to dress the child well for the built. I'm not so into clothing, don't really have a sense of fashion, don't usually spend a lot but I am aware of the fact that with her I need to be more "careful" that some clothing are more flattering then others.

She sees that she is strong and capable and she is proud. She can do stuff other kids in her class can't do. It might help that my dh who she adores is also "larger".

Hatzlacha, it's sad that people can be so mean Sad

unexpected

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:28 pm
Optione wrote:

This

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:34 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I agree that the school should be contacted and they need to take action to make it stop. This is unacceptable behavior. Children need to be taught that obnoxious behavior is not acceptable. I have a child who was teased for a different reason and the school spoke to the bullies about it.

don't know about any such books but my dd is 9 and she is also has a more shall we say "muscular built" aka according to BMI she is overweight, forgot if she is considered obese or not but she doesn't look unhealthy just larger build. She is also taller then the other kids.

We make a big deal about how strong she is... we've given her sports lessons and she takes parkour which she loves. We've shown her videos of "American ninja"- showed her what people with her "body type" could do which she thought was awesome.

Someone once told her that she will never be able to be a competitive gymnast because of her body type and we kindly told the person not to make such comments. It was an adult who meant well and never said anything else like that once we said something. As a parent we need to speak up for our child.

I know you've said you talk about it but can you get her involved in stuff that she will shine in?

I also think it's important to try to dress the child well for the built. I'm not so into clothing, don't really have a sense of fashion, don't usually spend a lot but I am aware of the fact that with her I need to be more "careful" that some clothing are more flattering then others.

She sees that she is strong and capable and she is proud. She can do stuff other kids in her class can't do. It might help that my dh who she adores is also "larger".

Hatzlacha, it's sad that people can be so mean Sad

We speak a lot about body positivity and how Hashem made her so beautiful and strong and she has such beautiful grace and shape. She is an amazing dancer and extremely strong. I would always ask her, what’s ur favorite body part and she would tell me and why. Until she came home and said she wants to be skinny because her friends are calling her fat Crying Banging head Pale . My sweet innocent beautiful daughter getting slaughtered by kids! I’m sorry if I’m being dramatic but I started having eating disorder behaviors at the age of 4, over 30 years ago and I’m only now considered in remission. After a hell of a ride....

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:44 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

Someone once told her that she will never be able to be a competitive gymnast because of her body type and we kindly told the person not to make such comments. It was an adult who meant well and never said anything else like that once we said something. As a parent we need to speak up for our child.(

There's actually a famous gymnast who doesn't have legs. There's special needs gymnastics.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics