Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Need advice re:problems w/ dd's speech therapist... long

amother

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:07 am
My dd has a therapist that is very inconsistent. She started therapy in July and then the woman took off the entire month of August. She said she'd start back September 3rd, but I never heard from her until a week later. Then she took off days before each holiday and chol hamoed. She kept saying she would come Fridays for makeups but never did. Sometimes she just doesn't show up at all, only to call me days later telling me she was sick. I don't bother to call her when she doesn't show up because I know she'll just give me some story.

Then the times she does come, she's usually really late. Last time she said she was running late so she had to cut 5 minutes off my dd's session.

And occasionally she comes early and is sitting outside my house in her car when I come home. she follows me right to my door and I've figured she starts timing right then and there, even though it takes me about 6 or 7 minutes to get my 1 and 2 year olds up the stairs, out of their coats, pottied, and washed up. and again dd loses a lot of time.

With all the inconsistency, dd's progress hasn't been so good and I don't know what to do.

I don't think my service coordinator likes me very much since I didn't hand in the parental calendars for 4 months and was making excuses the whole time (the speech therapist never gave them to me and I didn't want to get her in trouble by saying so.)

And the other thing is that the therapist back-dated the paperwork. I know I shouldn't have signed the papers but she made it seem like her intentions were good and she was going to make up all the sessions with dd. So if I claim inconsistency, technically they have proof that she has really been coming all along.

DDs other therapist said I should talk to my service coordinator, but I don't know. DD is #1, but really, if I have to go into detail, I could cost this woman her job so I'm really torn.

My other option is to speak directly to the therapist. I just feel that it's been excuses and promises nonstop that I don't trust her anyway. And if I piss her off, will she let it affect the job she does with dd?

So, what would you do?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 3:17 am
amother wrote:
DDs other therapist said I should talk to my service coordinator, but I don't know. DD is #1, but really, if I have to go into detail, I could cost this woman her job so I'm really torn.

My other option is to speak directly to the therapist. I just feel that it's been excuses and promises nonstop that I don't trust her anyway. And if I piss her off, will she let it affect the job she does with dd?

So, what would you do?

You said it yourself. Your daughter comes first.

It seems this woman doesn't take her responsibilities seriously enough. And think about it. If she's doing this to you, who know how many other kids she's doing this to as well.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 4:10 am
Say goodbye. Now.

Yakira

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 5:32 am
Do you know of anyone else that uses this speech therapist? Maybe you can speak to them to find out if the same thing is happening?

Otherwise, I agree you need to get a new therapist. This does happen often, and I don't think it would cost the woman her job (don't know all of the details obviously). You can just say 'they aren't meshing'...

Its an uncomfortable situation and I wish you the best of luck.

redhot

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 9:06 pm
I think you should just talk to the agency that she works for. Tell them that you would like a different therapist. I dont know if you wiould have to give details about what you dont like about her, but if you live in NY there are plenty of Early intervention approved speech therapists who are looking for cases and you wouldnt have a problem getting a new therapist asap. I wouldnt give bad info abotu this therapist just cuz its not something I think is nice, but at the same time- be firm that you want a new therapist.
Try saying that it just isnt owrking out for you with her. be vague. it might work. GOODLUCK

anon

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:

From the way you describe her, it doesn't sound like she's the type to care about doing a good job when she is working with your daughter. Unfortunately, there are plenty of therapists out there doing half-hearted jobs, and this one sounds like a winner. So I wouldn't let this fear stop you, since it's probably happening already anyway. Sad You want a new therapist asap.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 9:38 pm
in NY state, you can ask for a new therapist for any reason. It seems you have a VERY good reason. tell what you have told us to your service coordinator and get a new therapist. I have done this myself and Its not pleasant, but it is for your childs development and needs to be done.

good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics