Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Europe (maybe Israel vacation)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:11 pm
I am thinking of planning a vacation to Europe and maybe Israel. I would go for a bout a week to 10 days. What would you suggest? I was in Israel three times but never in Europe and don't know the first things about it.
What is weather in Europe in November time?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:43 pm
For such a short period of time, I'd stick to just Europe.

The climate in Europe is not uniform across the continent. Which country or countries were you considering?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:48 pm
DrMom wrote:
For such a short period of time, I'd stick to just Europe.

The climate in Europe is not uniform across the continent. Which country or countries were you considering?

I have no idea. Never been there. I hear such nice things about so many countries that it is hard to choose.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:52 am
You think Russia and Italy have the same climate?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:20 am
With all due respect, as a European I often feel like some posters on ImaMother relate to Europe like one little country. Its very, very big. And varied. You need to narrow things down a bit.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:26 am
Choose a couple options of places to be for shabbos then work from there.
Do you like history?
Holocaust related?
Old Shuls and kevarim?
Scenery?
Classic touristy?

brat_islava

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:39 am
If you are dead set on November than many countries in Europe will be too cold for walking so you need to pick a warmer climate country.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:49 am
Hi everyone
Thanks for the responses. I am going to hopefully go earlier like right before Rosh Hashanah so it should be warmer. I think I would like to go to Italy. What is there to do there? Is Switzerland nearby?

Mayflower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi everyone
Thanks for the responses. I am going to hopefully go earlier like right before Rosh Hashanah so it should be warmer. I think I would like to go to Italy. What is there to do there? Is Switzerland nearby?

Here's a map. Italy is the yellow boot shaped country. Switzerland is right above. You can combine both countries in 10 days.

Italy: lots of culture, musea etc. You could start off in Rome, spend a few days there visiting historical sites, then travel towards Tuscany, visit Florence. You could go to Venice for a few days (a must IMO), Milano (great restaurants!) and then head towards Switzerland (beautiful scenery).

Before Rosh Hashana weather could still be nice in most European countries. If you end up going in October-November, your options would be more limited to Greece, Spain, Portugal, Southern France, Italy,...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:57 am
Mayflower wrote:

Here's a map. Italy is the yellow boot shaped country. Switzerland is right above. You can combine both countries in 10 days.

Italy: lots of culture, musea etc. You could start off in Rome, spend a few days there visiting historical sites, then travel towards Tuscany, visit Florence. You could go to Venice for a few days (a must IMO), Milano (great restaurants!) and then head towards Switzerland (beautiful scenery).

Before Rosh Hashana weather could still be nice in most European countries. If you end up going in October-November, your options would be more limited to Greece, Spain, Portugal, Southern France, Italy,...

Thanks so.much for this!!!

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 12:48 pm
We once did a lovely 7-8-day trip to Italy, where we spent 3 days in Rome, 3 days in Venice (including Shabbos), and a day in Florence (with side trip to Pisa). You could definitely spend a full 7-10 days in Italy (could add in Cinque Terre, Naples, etc.).

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:18 pm
We just stayed in the Toscana region, and had a great time.

We stayed in the San Ruffino Resort, and we ate (and drank!) in Cantina Giuliano nearby. Very beautiful, and very nice people!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi everyone

Was just in Italy for 4 days and I loved it! Went to venice and rome.
Both have jewish communities, kosher food and restaurants.
Beautiful art, history, and the shuls in venice were BREATHTAKING. Like I had no idea how rich the Jews were back in the day, like hand carved wood that took years to make and 24K gold painted on top like rich.

In venice the jewish area, restaurants, shuls, and kosher hotel are a 10-15 minute walk from the train station. A train runs between rome and venice. You can take this train from the airport in rome too.

Also there's this island called Burano off of Venice that's one of the most colorful places in the world.

I want to go back it was SO nice!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:44 pm
Thanks so much! Can someone write out their itinerary since I really know nothing and would love to plan this trip! Sounds exactly what I am looking for!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:51 pm
Ouch. Please respect that Europe is a continent

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much! Can someone write out their itinerary since I really know nothing and would love to plan this trip! Sounds exactly what I am looking for!

You want to know our itinerary for Italy?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:58 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
You want to know our itinerary for Italy?

Yes

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes

Well we flew in through rome and took a train straight to venice. We got to the hotel at midnight, the kosher hotel Lucilla or something in the Jewish quarter. Woke up, did a tour of the Jewish shuls and museum then went out for lunch. That afternoon we went shopping by the train station and on the streets between the train station and the Jewish quarter (it's a big shopping area)

The next day we went to Burano and Murano islands and later we went to see the Doge's palace and the bridge of sighs.

We did a gondola ride and just walked around the streets. There's loads of free walking tours and all sorts of tours, just google them.

Venice is built on water, there's a main canal running through the whole city which is called the great canal. Along it is the rialto bridge (a huge bridge with more shopping; there's stores ON THE bridge) and there's also a mall there with a beautiful rooftop to get a good view.

When we went to rome we were there for a day we saw the colosseum, the forum, and the arch. We went out to eat and hung around in the Jewish quarter (if you are there try the fried artichokes. Jews have been making them there for hundreds of years and one of the magazines actually just had a whole feature on them).

I'm sure there's loads more to do. We were tight on time.

Pisa is a great destination in Italy too home of the leaning tower of Pisa. (Google it)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 3:26 pm
Thanks so much!!!

I just bought tickets! Can't believe it! I am flying into Rome and leaving from Milan. I am hopefully going to get through Rome, Florence, Venice, and Milan. O am going for 10 days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics