Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to keep a spotless and mold free bathroom

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:18 am
We're moving shortly to a brand new home, the bathrooms are obviously spotless and I want to keep them that way. I don't need them to be sparkling at every moment but I want a basic routine that will keep them looking fresh and new for years to come. Please share your bathroom maintenance routine including what products you use where, and how often. Like, what do you use for sinks and vanities, for the toilet, for the shower and bathtub, for the floors, for the walls. I'm really clueless. I prefer natural non-toxic products.

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:20 am
The best thing for a full bathroom is ventilation. Without proper ventilation, no matter what products you use, mildew will find a happy home.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:22 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
The best thing for a full bathroom is ventilation. Without proper ventilation, no matter what products you use, mildew will find a happy home.
The bathroom has built in ventilation fans. I don't know what they're called. How often should we put those on?

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:59 am
Just don't use them! Very Happy

Seriously, bathrooms never stay nice unless you devote a lot of time. But one little boy peeing can undo an hour of scrubbing....

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:25 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Just don't use them! Very Happy.

That was what I was going to say!

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:29 am
Make sure the ventilation fans are working properly. I turn them on after anyone showers. Make sure to leave the bathroom doors open after showers so the steam can air out & walls can dry. Bh we never have mold bh.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:36 am
1) ventilation fan should be left on during all showers and baths and for a good 10-15 minutes after as well

2) there is a “clean shower” spray that you just spray around right before getting out of the shower when you’re done. If you start using it right away and can get everyone in the family to do it after every single shower, it could really make a difference long term. It’s full of chemicals, though, so I only spray a bit into the corners and cracks that would be the first place mold or mildew would develop. Also I wouldn’t have kids spray it themselves, I would go in and do it for them.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:33 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Just don't use them! Very Happy

Seriously, bathrooms never stay nice unless you devote a lot of time. But one little boy peeing can undo an hour of scrubbing....
I mean more over the long term. what can I use to keep the bathtub in good condition? grime from building up between tiles? the toilet shiny?

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mean more over the long term. what can I use to keep the bathtub in good condition? grime from building up between tiles? the toilet shiny?

You have to make sure to clean those areas every few days well. I know some people who clean their shower stalls and bathtubs after each time they bathe. Use soap scum remover and you may need hard water remover depending on where you are located . And like everyone said , lots of ventilation

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:33 pm
Use Bar Keepers Friend soft cleanser liquid to get porcelain and ceramic tiles, tub and toilet clean and shiny.
Do not use it on granite or quartz counters (or matte smooth floor tiles).
Practice now on your old bathroom. See how well it works and then maintain your new bathroom.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marigold

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:45 pm
I use bar keepers friend to scrub the bathtub followed by dish soap to keep the shine. I shpritz Clorox spray on the grout around the tub and floors (check ur floor first.) and scrub softly with a toothbrush to ascertain no mold grows there. Soft scrub and bar keepers friend for the toilet/sink.
About once a month I wash the tiles from top to bottom, floors scrub with a brush to maintain original grout color. Otherwise it will darken. Oh, and ventilate.
As meticulous as I am, 2 months into enjoying our brand, new home the neighbor had a leak and the ceiling got all stained.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 2:47 pm
Ventilation fans that run based on sensing humidity levels are wonderful because you don’t have to set them on or off.

Find it exactly what the materials are for each if the elements and get appropriate cleaning materials. Some cleaning stuff can damage if it is too abrasive or the wing Ph. For example, I have Toto toilets and they have a special finish to keep clean and they shouldn’t be scrubbed because that takes off the finish. Some me tiles need to be sealed periodically.

Use liquid soap in the shower and bath because bar soap has ingredients that form more of a scum buildup and liquid shower soap doesn’t.

I like to use my steam cleaner on the bathroom tile floors.

Keep wipes in the bathroom which are appropriate to the finish. That way you can wipe up shmootz easily without having a buildup.

If you have glass shower enclosures, squeegee helps prevent buildup. My doors are made from Showerguard glass which prevent buildup but you can also have the glass treated with a protective guard if it has been installed. The

It you have grout or stone, it does pay to have it cleaned periodically by professionals as that really restores it to looking good. Some tile and grout also needs to be sealed periodically. Again check to see care instructions.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 4:12 pm
Easy tip-

After a shower-

Open fan shower curtain and doors until all steam is out of the room.

aliavi

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 6:26 pm
Change your expectations. Spotless isn’t realistic and neither is all the time. I’m known for a clean and organized house so I feel like I can say this. Don’t make your family hate the new museum.

Decluttered and organized with supplies handy makes keeping them cleaner much easier.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 6:54 pm
It you have grout or stone, it does pay to have it cleaned periodically by professionals as that really restores it to looking good. Some tile and grout also needs to be sealed periodically. Again check to see care instructions.[/quote]

Somewhat off topic, but can you advise?

We recently developed an infestation of silverfish in the bathroom. I noticed that they are entering through cracks in the grout.

Do I need to hire a professional to reseal, or is it possible to diy, (although I'm not very handy...)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 10:32 pm
aliavi wrote:
Change your expectations. Spotless isn’t realistic and neither is all the time. I’m known for a clean and organized house so I feel like I can say this. Don’t make your family hate the new museum.

Decluttered and organized with supplies handy makes keeping them cleaner much easier.
Ok I don't need it spotless all the time, but at least some of the time, like right after I clean it. What do I use to clean it to get it spotless for right then? I really mean like the basics.

aliavi

Post Sat, Jul 27 2019, 10:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok I don't need it spotless all the time, but at least some of the time, like right after I clean it. What do I use to clean it to get it spotless for right then? I really mean like the basics.

I keep gloves, a magic eraser, a couple of cleaning towels and antibacterial “windex” in the bathroom. Nothing crazy or potent. Sometimes I do a quick clean while a younger child is bathing. Keep a couple of spare trash bags in the bottom of the trash can. Clean glass and a clean sink make the most impact as far as looking clean IMO. May you have much happiness in your new home.

ETA: for hair or mess on the floor, spray with whatever cleaner and use a square or of toilet paper to wipe up and toss. (I did this today so thought to add)

Last edited by aliavi on Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

wifeandmore

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 12:24 am
aliavi wrote:
I keep gloves, a magic eraser, a couple of cleaning towels and antibacterial “windex” in the bathroom. Nothing crazy or potent. Sometimes I do a quick clean while a younger child is bathing. Keep a couple of spare trash bags in the bottom of the trash can. Clean glass and a clean sink make the most impact as far as looking clean IMO. May you have much happiness in your new home.

Brilliant to do during a kid's bath!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry